Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default S&W 442 or Glock 26 for carry

Sorry if this has been posted before. I am new to this site. I'm currently waiting for my LTCF and trying to decide what would be better to carry. I currently have a S&W 442 but have always wanted a Glock. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: S&W 442 or Glock 26 for carry

It really all comes down to how they work for you. You should make an attempt to handle both of these and see which you think would conceal the best. Also shoot them and see which is the most accurate. While the Glock will have the capacity if you can put your shots from the S&W COM and your Glock does not then your answer is the S&W.

Personally I go with the Glock26 myself. It conceals great for me and I am very accurate with it. It is carried with a ten round magazine and my spare is a G19 with magazine spacer. When I can conceal it or it is on my nightstand for home defense it gets the G19 mag as well.

This allows me to get almost all my training on one handgun really allowing me to improve on my grip, presentation, trigger, sights, POI/POA. It's controls all mirror my P3AT which is my "can't carry anything else gun". Many people do and i'm sure are very good at it but personally I wanted to keep everything as close as possible. I could not constantly change my carry gun and go between a six shot revolver, SAO 1911, DA/SA Sig and a few others as some have said they carry "as the mood strikes". I want everything consistent.

I don't like the Glocks smaller than the Glock 19/23 size. They're too small for me, and while I've never shot one, I question whether I could control it, especially a .40 or .45.

I regularly carry a S&W Model 36 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It's accurate and controllable with the Federal 158gr. LSWC-HP +P "FBI" load.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Delaware County)

I carry a Glock 26, and recommend it highly. HOWEVER, if you compare, the 19 is not much harder to conceal than the 26 is. In my IWB slide holster, the difference between the two is minimal, while the 19 has 5 more rounds, and fits all of my fingers on it.

The 26 is very controllable though, and I even shot about a year of decent IDPA with it (qualified as Marksman).

(Luzerne County)

I carry my 442 with ctlaser grips in my front pocket, jacket pocket, ankle holster, or iwb. It is invisible to all. It is lightweight and reliable. Compare the ease of carry , then make your choice.

I carry the 642 - the 442's stainless cousin. I use an Uncle Mike's size 36 IWB holster, and a Robert Mika's pocket holster. Very easy to carry and conceal.

I carry +P Critical Defense.

I can't tell you anything else about it that you can't already look up, because I've never actually *used* it, and Lord willing, never will.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Lycoming County)

The 442 is a great self-defense firearm. As tommy and nailer can attest to, it will go anywhere.

That said, I carry a glock 23, but would not hesitate to carry your 442.

As you carry more, you get a better understanding of what you will need. Your attire to your personal habits will need to taken into account.

My Father with a Smith Snubby is better than many of the "armed professionals" of today with full size pistols. Albeit, he was 20 years plainclothes LEO. But, as he would say, it is mindset.

Be safe (and walk before you run).

Scott

(Northampton County)

I like a small hammerless Jframe for CC. Once you're licensed....carry it. If you want a Glock...you really can't go wrong with a 19/23. Just get a quality holster for it. I use a DeSantis Nemhisis (SP?) pocket holster for the Jframe. For the mod 442....check out Buffalobore heavy .38+p. This just might be the best SD load for a +p rated .38 revolver.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for all of the advice. The reason I am seriously considering a Glock for carry is because my wife can easilly use the 442 for home defense.

I have some time to think about it with as long as Philly takes to issue the license.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by s&wpat View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice. The reason I am seriously considering a Glock for carry is because my wife can easilly use the 442 for home defense.

I have some time to think about it with as long as Philly takes to issue the license.
    IMO....where portability,size/weight is not a concern....use a shotgun. It hits WAY harder than a .38,9mm or.40....even with reduced recoil loadings.

I believe shotguns & handguns both have their place for home defense.

I also believe most women can be trained to handle a G19/23.

I keep a Mossburg 590A1 & a .357mag snubbie (either S&W or Ruger) near me when I sleep.

Be safe. Get some retention training & unarmed SD training for both you & the spouse. Use quality holsters & belts. Good luck with the LTCFs & gun purchases.

Used guns can be good deals. Come to a PAFOA event & meet some of us.
    Last edited by reverserboy; May 19th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast