Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Getting ready to buy my first gun... An XDm

So this is my first post so ima make it a good one

I'm 19
    College Student and on the road to be a doctor

I'm going to start off by telling you guys my reasons for purchasing a firearm

I was rob at gun point ... twice!!! first time some asses ran up on me from behind with a .380 and told me to empty my pockets or hes gonna put one in my chest ... only thing I had of Value was my $500 Blackberry I paid cash for the day before so he took that and ran off

Second time and by the way ... same guy

Second time ... I was in the house, was the day before my birthday(4/6/10).. got a lil hungry so I thought I go grab something from McDonalds. So I left the house and about 40 feet away it's this guy that's ahead of me walking in the same direction ...all of a sudden he started walking very slowly as I approach from behind ... all of a sudden I get a text from my future girlfriend and

I hear a familiar metallic snap, I looked up... the guy had spun around and pointed a .380 at my left eye

his words were "Don't Fucking move or make a sound or I'll blow your fucking head off!!! lay down on the ground and empty your pockets" I was like oh shit ... and was telling him to relax, I handed him my wallet and my Blackberry Storm2

No mind you ... this was kinda in public, kids playing across and people on there porches... didnt even pick up the phone to call for help

Anyway back to the story...

As I was laying face first on the ground ... as I handed him my wallet I told him " I got $226.00 ... here just take it and my phone"

So asshole took my money plus my monthly $78.00 bus/train pass ... handed me back my wallet !!!! and said "you not gonna call the cops rite" I said yeah

He handed me my phone back ( which had a tracking program on it... Fuck !!!) turned his back on me and walked away ... yeah Walked way !!!!

I got up more pissed off than scared and walked the opposite direction, I contemplated on calling the cops but .... this was way to close to wear I live !!!! so if asshole found out I called the cops and decides to catch an attitude ... I might be walking out the door early in the morning and he"ll put 2 in my head ... so I said to myself "I gonna let this slide... but I be damned if I get robbed again"

So the next logical thing to do is Buy a gun... or move and I opted for both and won't be moving till Aug.

So I decided I wanted a .40 Cal pistol and was dead on getting a P944 Ruger stainless, but the the Springfield XDm 4.5 .40Cal caught my eye!!! read some reviews and I want it ... but I'm really asking is... would this be a good first gun for me... I have yet to hold one and looking to purchase the first week of Jun.

I'm currently aware of the law and I have a few more questions...

Can I get my sister to buy the gun for me (my money) and the FFL can then transfer it to me on the spot?

or

I have to go the the sheriffs office to have it legally transferred to me ?
    Last edited by Muscle Master; May 19th, 2010 at 02:45 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Getting ready to buy my first gun... An XDm

Call the police and tell them about it..

You dont want to pull a gun on someone that already has a .380 pointed at your head..
    Last edited by kbcobra26; May 19th, 2010 at 02:22 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    You would have to go to the Sheriff's office and they never will do it from what I've heard...Plus you have to be 21 to get your LTCF (license to carry)

Call the police and tell them about it..
    Why not... that BS

And I didn't call the police because ... the "no snitch Policy" is punishfull by death around here ... and it happen way to close to where I live
    Last edited by Muscle Master; May 19th, 2010 at 02:24 AM.

(Monroe County)

How do you know it was a .380?

And take your place of employment out of your OP or you will lose your job.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lycoming County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/616...nder-21-a.html
    Here's another thread for an under 21 but over 18 handgun purchase..

You know what he looks like now, so just keep a look out and avoid him..

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    How do you know it was a .380?

And take your place of employment out of your OP or you will lose your job.
    Thanks for the tip

I knew cause almost every female in my family has a .380

And I had a very good look at the gun... it was stainless

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    I knew cause almost every female in my family has a .380

And I had a very good look at the gun... it was stainless
    So what brand and model .380 was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    So what brand and model .380 was it?
    That I don't know... if I had to guess

A Kel-Tec

(Philadelphia County)

At 19 in Philadelphia you will have a hard time owning a handgun let alone carrying. And, you didn't say what the purpose of the handgun would be for. Range? Home Defence? Self Defence? Either way, if a gun is pointed at your head, there isn't much chance of drawing a weapon. Good luck with college though

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    So this is my first post so ima make it a good one

So the next logical thing to do is Buy a gun... or move and I opted for both and won't be moving till Aug.

So I decided I wanted a .40 Cal pistol and was dead on getting a P944 Ruger stainless, but the the Springfield XDm 4.5 .40Cal caught my eye!!! read some reviews and I want it ... but I'm really asking is... would this be a good first gun for me... I have yet to hold one and looking to purchase the first week of Jun.

I'm currently aware of the law and I have a few more questions...

Can I get my sister to buy the gun for me (my money) and the FFL can then transfer it to me on the spot?

or

I have to go the the sheriffs office to have it legally transferred to me ?

I'm not really sure a handgun is the answer to the 2 scenarios you describe, but my take on your question:

The XDm would be a fine first gun as long as you like the way if feels in your hand, can operate it and shoot it well, and can actually carry it. Not sure what your shooting experience is, but you may want to consider that before you jump right into a .40 service pistol as your carry. I'd also personally shy away from having a full sized XDm as my only carry firearm, as it is harder to conceal especially with summer coming, and you may eventually start leaving it home because it's a pain. Something in a sub compact size might suit you better.

The link to the thread someone else posted should point you in the right direction for the transfer.

If you do end up carrying a firearm please make sure you get the appropriate training to defend yourself, and be more aware of your surroundings if you're going to be in that type of area. There isn't a weapon on earth that can help you at any price if you have a gun pointed in your eye by the time you look up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast