Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Opinions wanted on gun choice for my wife

Looking for opinions on a good gun choice for my wife, she doesn't feel comfortable shooting my Ruger SP101 .357 Snub or my XDM .40
    She is about 5"4 135lbs, I thought about taking her to pick something out that felt good in her hands but I would like to suprise her for her B'day.

She has no interest in carrying concealed so this would be strictly for the range. Although I feel once she feels a little more comfortable she would carry. Trying to keep it in the $400 range

Thanks for your opinions

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Opinions wanted on gun choice for my wife

Buy a quality .22 LR for both of you to shoot together. Every serious shooter should have a .22 LR as they are accurate and cheap to shoot. I have a 6 inch Beretta Neos and a Ruger Mark 3 Hunter that I absolutely enjoy.

If your wife progresses and enjoys shooting, and you want to get her a gun in the future for defense LET HER PICK IT OUT! Go rent some different types, shoot with friends who have varied collections, let her try them all (stay away from really powerful recoiling handguns, they do not work well for defense anyway).

Since you are in Bucks, go check out Classic Pistol in Southampton, if you have not already. The shop is well stocked, the range is great and the staff is quality. Bob also has quite a selection of handguns to rent for later on when/if your wife wants to pick one for defense.
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; May 18th, 2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added CP referral
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

How long do you have until her B-day?

Take her to the range and let her try a 9MM.

Let her try an LCR. That is around 400 and a hell of a nice gun.

Then there is always the .380s

Or go the other way and try a 45.

Like what he said a 22 may be ok, but then you may buy another if she wants to carry.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFromBucksCo View Post
    Looking for opinions on a good gun choice for my wife, she doesn't feel comfortable shooting my Ruger SP101 .357 Snub or my XDM .40
    It would be helpful to know what she doesn't like about either of those. Too much power? Comfort? Operation?

Assuming the .357 was too powerful, did she try firing .38sp from it?

She is about 5"4 135lbs, I thought about taking her to pick something out that felt good in her hands but I would like to suprise her for her B'day.
    That's really not a good idea. You struck out twice already.

I would suggest taking her to preferably a gun show, or at least a shop that has a wide selection. Tell her you're just going window shopping. Let her try out everything she can get her hands on. Then if she finds something she likes, get it for her later as a surprise.

She has no interest in carrying concealed so this would be strictly for the range.
    What about self defense? Or still strictly range?
    If STRICTLY range, follow Steve_NEPhila's advice and get a .22LR.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Bucks County)

I see you are in Levittown.

There are ranges close by where you can rent guns as long as you buy the ammo there.

I would rent and try different ones and see if she likes it before you purchase.

CP and DVS are in the Northeast Areas. I don't know if there are any in Levittown.,

Browning Buckmark.... Great gun to shoot and cheap

(Bucks County)

My xdm .40 just feels too big for her even if I put on the smallest backstrap.
    She also shot 125gr .357s from my Ruper SP101 and Speer Gold Dot 38spcl+p and although she said it was fun it was too much recoil for her after a while. A friend of mine was over my house the other night showing us his new Ruger SR9c, she held the SR9c and thought it was more comfortable for her than my Xdm .40. For her it wouldn't be for self defense or for carry it would just be her gun for when we go to the range.
    Last edited by TonyFromBucksCo; August 26th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFromBucksCo View Post
    She also shot 125gr .357s from my Ruper SP101 and Speer Gold Dot 38spcl+p and although she said it was fun it was too much recoil for her after a while.
    Get her to try some .38 specials in the SP101. I bet she'll love it. My wife is about the same size as yours. She has no problems with .38sp.

For her it wouldn't be for self defense or for carry it would just be her gun for when we go to the range.
    .22LR is really sounding like a good idea for her own gun.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Centre County)

A Ruger Bearcat or Single Six are nice little SA revolvers in .22LR and are fun to shoot. The grips are a bit smaller so they may fit her hand better. Good for plinking at the range and as she becomes more comfortable, then take her shopping for a larger caliber (of her choice that you pay for).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

If your .357 & .40 have too much snap to them for her, then you owe it to her to rent some different caliber handguns at the range.

Again, if you don't have the time, a .22 target pistol would be a fun range gun for most anyone. (Although my wife liked shooting 9mm better than .22 when she started, and now has her own Glock 19)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast