Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sand as tumbling media

I been using walnut and it gets dusty, I'll give rice a try.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    I been using walnut and it gets dusty, I'll give rice a try.
    Of course it gets dusty - it is supposed to.. It is expendable. I use a mix of 50% walnut shells from PetSmart (might be called lizard bedding or something like that) and 50% corn cob media for everything except .223 brass. Then I use walnut only because the corn gets stuck.

Each time you tumble brass, add a torn up and used dryer sheet to help control the dust. Periodically you toss the walnut and corn and use fresh.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    Of course it gets dusty - it is supposed to.. It is expendable. I use a mix of 50% walnut shells from PetSmart (might be called lizard bedding or something like that) and 50% corn cob media for everything except .223 brass. Then I use walnut only because the corn gets stuck.

Each time you tumble brass, add a torn up and used dryer sheet to help control the dust. Periodically you toss the walnut and corn and use fresh.
    Dryer sheets work pretty well for controlling the dust. The wife saves them for me and I cut them in strips and add a few to every batch. They don't get rid of it completely, but they cut down on it.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(York County)

+1 on the dryer sheets, the rice is one I haven't heard before, I will have to try that one.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

I never heard of using rice, but I don't see where it would hurt. I do use the dryer sheets, though & they help keep the corn cob media cleaner for longer.

I've heard very good reports about the Lyman pre-treated media. A bit expensive, but everybody who has used it won't switch back to regular stuff. I'll be needing new media pretty soon, so I might give it a try.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I never heard of using rice, but I don't see where it would hurt. I do use the dryer sheets, though & they help keep the corn cob media cleaner for longer.

I've heard very good reports about the Lyman pre-treated media. A bit expensive, but everybody who has used it won't switch back to regular stuff. I'll be needing new media pretty soon, so I might give it a try.
    The lyman pre-treated media does work very well and is low-dust. The downsides are its price and size. The bits of media are very large and it's difficult getting them out of some bottlenecked cartridges such as .223 rem.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Schuylkill County)

i use the lyman treated stuff (green) it works great and brass stays shiny... i tried it all ... walnut, corn, different treatments, plain, vibrators, tumblers... the lyman green in the vibrator does the best that i found

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by lilb93 View Post
    i use the lyman treated stuff (green) it works great and brass stays shiny... i tried it all ... walnut, corn, different treatments, plain, vibrators, tumblers... the lyman green in the vibrator does the best that i found
    I have the lyman green stuff that came with my lyman tumbler. I've been using it a few times a week for the past 6 months or so and it works just great. I'll probably buy more when it wears out, but I would like to try some other options too (the rice sounds like something to try). My one problem with the lyman media is it gets stuck in all the flash holes and I have to poke it out with something (I generally tumble before decapping; however, I like to tumble for 30 min or so to get the lube off my rifle cases).

(Lackawanna County)

A great mixture is 45% rice, 45% walnut or corncob, and 10% baking soda, which also helps to neutralize any remaining acids.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    I have been using "Rice" for over 30 years. Buy a bag of Hard Grain, 5lb
    bag. Try it and you will use nothing else. Just be sure to tumble your brass
    before depriming the shell cases. A grain of rice can become lodged in the
    flash hole. The hard grain rice I have been using has gone from white in
    color to gray in color in the past year, no big deal, still cleans the brass to
    where it still looks like new. Try it, you will like it.
    Do you use a non ammonia brass polish with the rice?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast