Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Question Courthouse question

I have to go to traffic court sometime next week (no date yet). The actual hearing is not in the courthouse however. It is in another building that has muliple other businesses as well. I plan on carrying, but only want to do so if I am legal.

Is the hearing room considered a "courthouse" still, or am I ok because the hearing is in another building that is not the courthouse? It's not even near the courthouse, it's down a couple of blocks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Courthouse question

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I have to go to traffic court sometime next week (no date yet). The actual hearing is not in the courthouse however. It is in another building that has muliple other businesses as well. I plan on carrying, but only want to do so if I am legal.

Is the hearing room considered a "courthouse" still, or am I ok because the hearing is in another building that is not the courthouse? It's not even near the courthouse, it's down a couple of blocks.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    It sounds like you're going to a "Magesterial District Court". Either way, the statute applies to "court facilities", not just "courthouses". "Court facilities" are defined by statute to include the following:
    The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a district justice; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge’s chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.
    All of the above places are prohibited because they are considered "court facilities", but this also means that the signage and storage mandated by 913(d)&(e) respectively are also required.

You might want to print out 913 and take it along with you in case any questions come up.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.