Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Nikon Scope Owners: Free Program

I know that Guns 'n Glass mentioned this program a while back, and I actually wasn't familiar with it. I saw it mentioned in my NRA magazine and the web address for it, so I figured I would share it with others. I do not have any first hand experience with the program, or how accurate it is. I would venture to guess that at "conventional distances" (less than 500 yards), it probably is spot on, and a nice tool to have. I did want to mention that it runs on Java, and I did get some alerts when it was loading, so be aware of that.

The program is called "Spot On", it's free to use and can be adjusted for your own loads as well. It will give you holds and subtensions for different reticles, including the BDC, Mil-dot and other reticles, even at various magnifications. It will tell you your maximum point blank range, drop on the bullet, etc. You are also able to change atmospheric conditions, get graphs of drop, muzzle velocity, Kinetic energy, etc. For those not as computer savy as others, there's also a little tutorial video to help you figure out how to use it. The address for "Spot On" is right here. http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/ . It would obviously work for others not using nikon scopes, although the subtensions on reticles and at different magnifications are likely to be a little different. It would still be a way to get your dope, K.E. and trajectory tables. Lots of people use JBM or Penja, but for those not comfortable with those programs, or Nikon scope owners, this is an alternative.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Nikon Scope Owners: Free Program

My Rem 700P has a Nikon Mildot, and this is a major public service.

(Chester County)

Muchos gracias amigo! I have a Nikon Buckmaster and ProStaff, both with BDC. This looks like it'll be a great tool to help me learn how to actually use them to there full advantage.

BTW, not to seem ungrateful, but I kind of wish you suggested turning down the speakers first. I tried it for my .30-06 on our gaming system with a 5.1 Bose speaker set-up, and I think it's going to be quite some time before the cat comes back down from the chandelier.

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Muchos gracias amigo! I have a Nikon Buckmaster and ProStaff, both with BDC. This looks like it'll be a great tool to help me learn how to actually use them to there full advantage.

BTW, not to seem ungrateful, but I kind of wish you suggested turning down the speakers first. I tried it for my .30-06 on our gaming system with a 5.1 Bose speaker set-up, and I think it's going to be quite some time before the cat comes back down from the chandelier.
    Glad that I could post this up and help you and a few others out. Yeah, it's definitely important to learn to use your reticle to the fullest. It'll help you make shots and have aiming points that you previously didn't know were there.

LOL, I hadn't thought about warning about speaks, I had mine down when I was accessing it. I'm guessing you mean when you press "fire"? LOL, I can see how that would definitely scare the cat. Oh well, they're practically worthless anyway ;-). Glad that I could help some of ya'll out, let me know how it works and how accurate it is.