Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nickel v. SS for carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    As for corrosion resistance, I would get the stainless. Stainless can still corrode, and does. However, you could always send it off to Robar for some NP3 treatment. However, all machines need maintenance, and that goes for corrosion protection.
    So you are saying to go with nickel plated stainless steel? Now that's hedging your bets!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HyDef View Post
    For everyday carry, mostly OC some CC. How does nickel hold up compared to SS. A local shop has two 1911's I'm looking at, one is SS and one is Nickel, the employee says SS holds up much better over time, what say you?
    Stainless will outlast nickel. ...and don't sweat carrying a full size 1911, with a proper set up, you can carry one just fine - some of our members do indeed carry 1911s daily.

(Dauphin County)

Most firearms that are made from Stainless are made from 400 series stainless, which is slightly magnetic and will give a little rust over time. Just because its stainless doesn't mean it won't rust. You need to know what type of stainless it is. Either way stainless over coatings any day of the week.

(Luzerne County)

Nickel is a good finish and is more rust resistant than the -stainless- steels I've been seeing lately. I've been seeing too many reports of pitting problems with stainless slides these days. Heat and sweat does take it's toll and there is some speculation that the stainless steel we are using today isn't the same alloy as the stainless steel from a few years ago.

With that said, I'd still go with stainless steel. Nickel is too hard to take care of. On nick in the finish and a solvent can get to the copper under coating and lift the finish like cheap chrome on a bumper.

(Clinton County)

As stated above. Get a good belt. The 1911s are heavy. I have a good belt. I have a Kimber SIS Custom as my OC dress-up Gun. I do not notice the weight that much. I have carried 18 hours on several days. The belt is the key.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Nickel is ferrous. I think you meant chromium. Which, correspondingly, is the principle additive to produce various stainless steels.
    Chromium makes the steel rust resistant, not rust proof. Cheaper SS has blends of Chromium and nickle of 18% Chr to 5/8% nic(302) Vs 18/20% chr vs 10/12% Nic.(304). The chr is the element that changes the surface structure of the steel to keep it from oxidizing. The nickle , when added in the correct amount, fills in all the spces between the Chr and lets it shine and not discolor. I believe the higher the nickle content the softer the finish so there is a trade off to scratches vs tarnish. I know for fact that real SS screws are not as strong as most hardend ferrous screws so that may be why the SS guns only come in certain blends.

(Montgomery County)

I'd go with the stainless.

1blindI'mnotametallurgistandIfailedchemistryinhigh schoolref

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12