Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Any Silencerco Owners Here?

Hello,
    I'm going to be purchasing my first suppressor next week and have decided to go with a 22 can on my ruger w/ pac lite upper as the host. well i've narrowed down my choice on the silencerco sparrow and the yhm mite?. Does anyone have experience with these? i was also thinking of the LCW predator but it doesnt look like they dissasemble for cleaning. If anyone has one of these then you're help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Any Silencerco Owners Here?

Not yet but I do want to buy a sparrow.

(Centre County)

I'm waiting on an Osprey 45 to be transferred... slow gov
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Armstrong County)

I have a Sparrow on my Buckmark with a Tac Sol 4" barrel. I have a littel over 2k rounds thru it. No problems at all.
    I use a 3/4" dowle rod to scrap the clam-shells about every 500rds and glass bead blast the core. I have only blasted it once, right around the 2k rounds mark. Glass beads and 32psi seemed to be the ticket in my benchtop blast cabinet.
    Spray a VERY light coat of CLP on everything when going back together. It help keep the lead sticking to a min.

I am very happy with the sound performance. First rounds pop is noticable, but when is it not.

So far i've tried:

-CCI StdVel, nice and quiet
    -CCI Subs, same as above, cant tell the two apart
    -Blazers, seemed just as quiet as the StdVel but about $8 cheaper a brick(go to ammo for this can)
    -Rem Subs, quiet but not as reliable to cycle as the CCI
    -Fed 550 WM Bulk, ok but you could hear the diff, louder than above rounds
    -Fed Am Eagle, loud, but they are HV
    -Win Expert, loud, again they are HV. a few had a sonic crack

I have also heard the Mite........to me its a waste of money. If you already plan spending the cash to get the Sparrow +$200 stamp, dont settle for a cheaper can.

I also would recomend the SWR Spectre. Stn Stl core, take apart for cleaning, rated for 22LR 22mag 17hmr 5.7FN, and can take full-auto abuse. And also in the same price range or possibly cheaper than the Sparrow.
    Check out Bryon at Major Malfunction Munitions. He will have the best price or match it.
    Last edited by Nate7667; May 17th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    I also would recomend the SWR Spectre. Stn Stl core, take apart for cleaning, rated for 22LR 22mag 17hmr 5.7FN, and can take full-auto abuse. And also in the same price range or possibly cheaper than the Sparrow.
    Check out Bryon at Major Malfunction Munitions. He will have the best price or match it.
    I can speak for the quality, durability and great sound of the SWR Spectre. I've had mine since the first production run and it's been great. So far I've put it in "the dip" once and it's back to looking brand new! Defiantly worth the money and will last as long as you are alive and your kids if properly taken care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Lebanon County)

Silencerco is a great company. If your shooting 22 only the sparrow is your choice, but if you plan on other cals. the spectre is the way to go. built damn near indestrutable. the prices are the same. I have a demo sparrow you can hear if you want to make the trip to Lebanon

(Northampton County)

I would just save your money. I have a few different cans and they don't do much for the sound. The only way you can make them sound like they do in the moves is to dump water in and fire a few then dump more water in, which many people aren't going to do, or you can fill it with alittle ideal clear glide which really helps deaden the sound, but again you then have to clean it out. Some high end suppressors will help with velocity of the bullet, and some cheaper ones will hurt velocity. Also i hope you like cleaning your weapon because it will be dirty when you are done shooting with a can. In the end I don't think they are worth it. I would just use the money for ammo or something else. Just my two cents

(Armstrong County)

The can has nothing to do with helping or hurting velocity. Barrel length plays the role velocity.
    All it is an expansion chamber that allows the hot gas from burning power to expand slower. The "bang" you here when a round is fired unsuppressed is the hot gasses rapidly expanding while meeting the colder outside air. A suppressor slowes that expansion down.

So you dont clean your weapon when your done shooting with out a can?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by HK45T View Post
    I would just save your money. I have a few different cans and they don't do much for the sound. The only way you can make them sound like they do in the moves is to dump water in and fire a few then dump more water in, which many people aren't going to do, or you can fill it with alittle ideal clear glide which really helps deaden the sound, but again you then have to clean it out. Some high end suppressors will help with velocity of the bullet, and some cheaper ones will hurt velocity. Also i hope you like cleaning your weapon because it will be dirty when you are done shooting with a can. In the end I don't think they are worth it. I would just use the money for ammo or something else. Just my two cents
    I don't know what kind of gun/can combos you are shooting but I disagree. Me and a friend both have 9mm MGs with different cans and both are what I consider "movie quiet" with subsonic ammo - dry. I have several friends with suppressed .22 handguns and they are definitely movie quiet since the barrel length does not afford supersonic velocity - dry.

If ammo is supersonic out of your gun then cans just quiet the gun WAY down, but they still sound like guns. That's not to say there's no value in that arrangement. But, if ammo is subsonic out of your gun, it should be extremely quiet unless you have crappy cans. Some cans have "first round pop" issues, but I've never actually noticed it with the dozen or so cans I've shot.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I don't know what kind of gun/can combos you are shooting but I disagree. Me and a friend both have 9mm MGs with different cans and both are what I consider "movie quiet" with subsonic ammo - dry. I have several friends with suppressed .22 handguns and they are definitely movie quiet since the barrel length does not afford supersonic velocity - dry.

If ammo is supersonic out of your gun then cans just quiet the gun WAY down, but they still sound like guns. That's not to say there's no value in that arrangement. But, if ammo is subsonic out of your gun, it should be extremely quiet unless you have crappy cans. Some cans have "first round pop" issues, but I've never actually noticed it with the dozen or so cans I've shot.
    I agree 100%!

I can shoot my Mini Uzi with either the Gemtech MK9K or Trinity cans and subsonic and that sucker is pretty quiet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast