Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Which of these calibers does the most damage to ballistic armor?

Would it be 5.56x45mm NATO, 7.62x39mm, or 5.45x39mm? By "most damage" I mean most likely to penetrate. For this question, assume that you are comparing the best readily available ammunition that civilians can legally buy. I'm just curious because I've seen a lot of these AK-47 vs AR-15 debates online. Thanks for your time.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Which of these calibers does the most damage to ballistic armor?

Ur not planning to have a massive shoot out with the police are u? Or like rob a bank?

(Allegheny County)

I could be totally wrong about this, but I vaguely remember watching on tv that our troops body armor was only able to stop a single 7.62 round and it would damage the armor too much to be able to stop a second round.

I think I saw that on a history channel special when "Dragon Skin" was first introduced, but like I said, I could be totally wrong about that.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
    Ur not planning to have a massive shoot out with the police are u? Or like rob a bank?
    No, nothing of the sort. I'm just curious for the sake of knowing, since the ar15 vs ak47 vs ak74 debate has gone on for a while.

Plus, if shit hits the fan, you won't be fighting guys with pizza boxes on their chests.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post

Plus, if shit hits the fan, you won't be fighting guys with pizza boxes on their chests.
    If the SHTF and you are in a shootout with dudes wearing body armor you are probably already dead.

Learn to evade and adapt.

That being said, I think either of those 3 would be effective against said dudes.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    That would be me
    So ya, Thought ya, Might like to Go to the show

This is a very "subjective question", and it would depend on the type of armor, plates, etc. Either way, I don't feel very comfortable answering the question and will choose not to. I don't see any reason for you to really have this information, and I hope others that do know will keep this information to themself. Sorry, while you've been here a while, I just don't know you, your intentions, or why you really "need" to know this information. Best of luck to you.

(Northumberland County)

All of those the OP listed go thru all level 3a body armor especially the M885 Green tip with steel penetrator for 5.56x45mm .

just curious why you wanna know which would go through body armor?

use a 30-30 win they will definitely go through many types of body armor like a hot knife through butter.

AK-47 go through body armor like swiss cheese so does the AK74

the only body armor that stands a chance against AK47,AR15 and AK74 is Level 3A with rifle plates.

Level 4 armor is like dragon skin and heavy rifle plates for AP rounds.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    I could be totally wrong about this, but I vaguely remember watching on tv that our troops body armor was only able to stop a single 7.62 round and it would damage the armor too much to be able to stop a second round.

I think I saw that on a history channel special when "Dragon Skin" was first introduced, but like I said, I could be totally wrong about that.
    The bolded section is not completely accurate. True the SAPI plates are intended to protect the wearer through one firing incident. One of my friends was hit 5 times with 7.62x39 and is still in the Army.

Bullet 1) Went through the IBA low on his right side. Not a life threatening injury.

Bullet 2, 3, and 4) Were stopped by the SAPI plate. It was damaged but it stopped more than one bullet.

Bullet 5) Went above the SAPI plate breaking the collar bone and passed through the muscle and tissue.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    This is a very "subjective question", and it would depend on the type of armor, plates, etc. Either way, I don't feel very comfortable answering the question and will choose not to. I don't see any reason for you to really have this information, and I hope others that do know will keep this information to themself. Sorry, while you've been here a while, I just don't know you, your intentions, or why you really "need" to know this information. Best of luck to you.
    Look, let me set the record straight if I hadn't already. I am not planning on killing anyone or going on a crime spree. I apologize for the "subjective" nature of the question, but my only intention was to get some info. The reason why I want this info is simple: preparedness. Many gun owners collectively agree that the 2nd amendment is there for basis self defense and tyranny resistance. For basic self defense, obviously any will do. But for fighting tyranny, this question comes in. It's just a "what-if" scenario. Many people have guns that they will never use on anyone (which I hope will be the case for anyone who buys a gun). However, should something go horribly wrong (ie. another Katrina, rise of a dictatorship, etc), I would like to have at least minimal preparation.

If you don't feel comfortable answering, then why bother posting in the first place?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast