Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default A new section; PA and how to survive.

Hello,

There is a topic/thread in "Region-Pittsburgh" about what makes this area a good or bad place to live after TSHTF.
    Yes I know there is now a million forums out there about this topic but this brought it home to me.

What struck me the most was the fact that here is a chance to "network" and buy locally. Also to act locally(contacts, Hams, buying supplies, knowing where fallout shelters are) the list goes on from there.

I would like to suggest that a discussion section be opened along these lines. It could be PA in general or by region.I would be willing to help in any way possible.
    Thank-you.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: A new section; PA and how to survive.

The idea, of setting up local networks, ham contacts, etc., while a GREAT one is, that one never knows who's actually READING these things. While most of us would love a map of 'neighborhood friendlies,' both for where we live, and where we might be headed, Lord only knows what would HAPPEN with that info, once you posted it... darn voyeurs...

Bob
    Last edited by The_War_Wagon; October 7th, 2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: I are not a good speler... duhhhh ;-)

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: A new section; PA and how to survive.

LOL!
    I was out and about today and thinking about my post here. I concluded it went over like a fart in church. Aw well........

A case in point, Penn Barrel Co, I've passed it almost every day for years and it never even occurred to me to stop and see if they-
    Were open.
    Sold Barrels.
    Were retail.

Yet I wanted a few barrels for water and a rain water project I wanted to try. After years of looking up the topic in catalogs and on the net and getting discourred...I stopped in(duh!) So no I don't want anyone to post their combination to their safe of street addy, just their thoughts. What You've found, what you think about this topic, short cuts to and from, road closers and weather fronts, shortages or great prices on items.

Got a favorite shop to deal with and why? Good gun club/ bad gun club and why. Know of a good web site for....and a bad web site because....

Graingers item #4456 12 volt fan will work for....
    MSA makes filters for.....
    Penn Barrel........
    My local K Mart has...
    Giant Eagle is running double points on gas........
    Bob's Gun Emporium is selling........
    True Value Hardware has metal garbage cans(Faraday cages)...
    Bert's Coins has the........
    Pete Knipsion has a backhoe........
    Got my limit of crappies at......
    Local stuff for local people. Items made here or great items for sale here or great places to shop here or great people to get to know here. This doesn't have to be only for the PGH region, in fact a "Child Board" could be added for each region.

As was posted in "War Wagons" thread about "THSTF and your In PGH" a dedicated survivalist section can turn in to a fantasy land for mall ninjas(and no I really don't want to read about some one agonizing over the latest sighting for their AR15!) just plain every day facts, practical knowledge I can put to use now or later.

This was only a thought put out there for thinking people.
    Thanks for the reply WW, 1 in 100+ views is a start.

Default Re: A new section; PA and how to survive.

This is limited only by your resourcefulness. My background includes electronics, so I tinker a lot with large solar cells and and IC battery chargers.

This isn't a fool's errand, as experience in Louisiana proved. While unlikely in PA, emergencies can happen.

Hams probably keep a low profile since it's very easy to find their address through researching the license database. CB and to a greater degree, FRS with privacy codes can serve as an ad hoc local tac-com.

The one topic I suggest studying is maintaining potable water for as long as possible.

(Allegheny County)

Water? That's silly. Can't kill zombies with water!

I'm not sure I fully understand the idea here, that's why I hadn't posted before.
    Like(I think)I mentioned in the "other" SHTF thread, I'm glad there isn't a section on SHTF on this forum. Those things attract more sci-fi fantasy, wanna-be, rouge warrior, zombie-killers than you can shake an AK at.

A REAL, honest-to goodness survival thread would be nice, but the only place I've seen something like that is all on it's own, not as a section of a gun forum. If anyone knows of a good link, feel free to post it.

Water... (shakes head) who needs water? You need ammo to shoot zombies, then you just drink their blood. (Or something like that. )
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

...and speaking of ammo, there's a BOGO on ammo in this Sundays PGH paper for Dicks.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy17 View Post
    Hello,

There is a topic/thread in "Region-Pittsburgh" about what makes this area a good or bad place to live after TSHTF.
    Yes I know there is now a million forums out there about this topic but this brought it home to me.

What struck me the most was the fact that here is a chance to "network" and buy locally. Also to act locally(contacts, Hams, buying supplies, knowing where fallout shelters are) the list goes on from there.

I would like to suggest that a discussion section be opened along these lines. It could be PA in general or by region.I would be willing to help in any way possible.
    Thank-you.
    The main thing with that is, this is a firearms site in general, not so much a SHTF/survival site. While many of us may agree that the two go hand in hand, it probably detracts from PAFOA's overall mission to indulge that kind of thing to a large degree. There are survival forums and other places where that is the center of discussion (mine being one of them), the only problem with those is that you don't have the members centrally located like you do here.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, cool and no biggie. Idea and topic is dropped.
    Now back to those real issues like;

Shoot out!! My .45 and your Baseball Bat!!!!
    Gun Shows!!! A thing of the Past????
    They Want Your Gunsss!!!!!!
    NRA- Another Commie .org?
    Ron Paul! Does He Really Have What it Takes???
    What's The Best Defensive Round???

Wouldn't want to do anything that pertains to real, everyday life. Enjoy.

(Cambria County)

I wasn't shooting your idea down, and even if I were, I'm nobody on this forum, my opinion counts as much as yours does, if not less since you know, you brought the subject up. I was just pointing out the reality of what I understand PAFOA's mission to be and how forums on the internet are generally set up...no offense meant at all.

(Somerset County)

Hey Stimpy,

Why don't you stop by at NineseveN's forum, Near Death Experiments.

I joined over there to get the sort of information you are looking for. I feel PAFOA is more of a 'gun sports' and 2A activist type forum so that may be why your idea didn't light a fire - just my opinion.

Anyways maybe I'll see you over at NDE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast