Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Using Open Carry to promote 2nd Amendment candidate at polling places?

What do you guys think about using Open carry to promote 2nd admendment candidates such as Sam Roher next Tuesday? Would you see it as a advantage or disadvantage to have voters see somebody outside the polling area with a AR15 slung on their back handing out fliers?

I haven't really been involved in politics sinced I helped out the Ron Paul campaign 2 years ago. I was thinking of this as an idea even If it just exposes everyday people to their rights as Pennsylvanians. Please let me know what you think.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Using Open Carry to promote 2nd Amendment candidate at polling places?

I think you should probably check w/ the campaign that you're looking to support before you do that.

Although it's perfectly legal to pass out campaign fliers outside a polling place while wearing a purple clown costume and shouting "Tom Corbett loves guns and broccoli" I'm not sure that's the image that Tom wants to convey, despite the fact that he may actually love both guns and broccoli.

If their staff gives the green light, then have at it.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Using Open Carry to promote 2nd Amendment candidate at polling places?

IANAL,

I recall a discussion on this forum a while ago that said that while open carry is legal at a polling place, you might get a bullshit charge (voter intimidation). Some posters were suggesting that people would claim you were intimidating voters by OCing while promoting a candidate. My assumption is this has never been tried in court, but I think this is one of those situations like getting charged with disorderly conduct for OCing (it's a bullshit charge, but you gotta fight it anyway).

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by leeam View Post
    IANAL,

I recall a discussion on this forum a while ago that said that while open carry is legal at a polling place, you might get a bullshit charge (voter intimidation). Some posters were suggesting that people would claim you were intimidating voters by OCing while promoting a candidate. My assumption is this has never been tried in court, but I think this is one of those situations like getting charged with disorderly conduct for OCing (it's a bullshit charge, but you gotta fight it anyway).
    Even if not charged, I think a lot of people could get that impression at the poll and it might even result in negative news coverage. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just saying I would have those concerns.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Even if not charged, I think a lot of people could get that impression at the poll and it might even result in negative news coverage. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just saying I would have those concerns.
    The black dude standing in front of the polls with an obama shirt and baseball bat comes to mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross11988 View Post
    What do you guys think about using Open carry to promote 2nd admendment candidates such as Sam Roher next Tuesday? Would you see it as a advantage or disadvantage to have voters see somebody outside the polling area with a AR15 slung on their back handing out fliers?

I haven't really been involved in politics sinced I helped out the Ron Paul campaign 2 years ago. I was thinking of this as an idea even If it just exposes everyday people to their rights as Pennsylvanians. Please let me know what you think.

I think if you want the votes of those people not yet decided that any sort of extreme show will likely not garner many additional votes.
    The people who know what OC is, support rights STRONGLY, IMO generally will already know who they are going to vote for.
    The guy you may sway at the poll is more likely to be influenced by handing out pro gun voter guides or other pices of propaganda.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    The black dude standing in front of the polls with an obama shirt and baseball bat comes to mind.
    Totally forgot about that. Well I think I made up my mind :P. Looks like I'll just stick to my XDM, vote then leave.

(Chester County)

I think OCing at the polls was a good idea, but not combining it with endorsing a candidate. You might actually turn people off if they interpret the gesture as one being promoted by the candidate, even if a voter is pro 2A, but not necessarily in agreement with OC.

Unfortunately, thanks to someone on this forum who will remain nameless, my township has moved all polling places to schools. How's that for Rotzing* the option to OC when going to vote?

*Rotzing - Deleting, removing, misplacing or otherwise making vanish.

oops, did I give it away?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Unfortunately, thanks to someone on this forum who will remain nameless, my township has moved all polling places to schools. How's that for Rotzing* the option to OC when going to vote?
    Since when does the township have anything to do with running an election? That's the county's responsibility/authority.

BTW....an empty holster would be perfectly legal....if you wanted to poke back just a little. A toy rifle/shotgun might even be in order.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

Wouldn't 'self defense', and 'voting' both be considered "other lawful purposes"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast