Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default transposrting long guns

guys, i looked around and couldn't find an answer to this question.

when transporting a SG or rifle in your vehicle...
    1. does it have to be unloaded?
    2. if yes, define unloaded....no ammo in the tube or magazine, or can i have the tube or mag loaded on an empty chamber?

thanks guys, and i appreciate this site so much...i check this site more than i check my email!!!! a very valuable resource.

pinwormfood

(Clinton County)

Default Re: transposrting long guns

Quote Originally Posted by PINWORMFOOD View Post
    guys, i looked around and couldn't find an answer to this question.

when transporting a SG or rifle in your vehicle...
    1. does it have to be unloaded?
    2. if yes, define unloaded....no ammo in the tube or magazine, or can i have the tube or mag loaded on an empty chamber?

thanks guys, and i appreciate this site so much...i check this site more than i check my email!!!! a very valuable resource.

pinwormfood
    1.Yes
    2.No ammo in the tube or Magazine.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    1.Yes
    2.No ammo in the tube or Magazine.
    Magazines can be loaded if they are detachable and are detached from the firearm and stored in a separate container. Prevailing opinion is that if you have a zippered case, the firearm being inside and a loaded magazine in a pouch on the outside meets the requirements of PA law.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Magazines can be loaded if they are detachable and are detached from the firearm and stored in a separate container. Prevailing opinion is that if you have a zippered case, the firearm being inside and a loaded magazine in a pouch on the outside meets the requirements of PA law.
    Forgot about detachable Mags. I have never had any in a rifle.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

The quirky part about this is that the UFA defines "firearm" to exclude all rifles and shotguns that are not NFA weapons. In most cases, "firearm" means handguns. That's the default definition, there are other definitions used in specific sections.

Then there's a definition of "loaded" in the Definitions section of the UFA (I believe it's Section 6102), but that only applies to "firearms", which for purposes of that section excludes long guns.

So we have a definition of "loaded" that applies only to "firearms".
    Then we have a statute making it a summary offense to carry a "loaded" gun "other than a firearm".

So there's no statutory definition of when a long gun is "loaded". This might leave you with an argument that the usual, common-sense definition applies, so that there would have to be cartridges in the gun or in the attached magazine for it to be "loaded".

It's not something that I'd rely on. Keep your unloaded mag-fed rifle or shotgun in one container, and any loaded mags in a separate compartment in that container, or in another container, and you should be fine. But if you screw up and throw some loaded mags in the same gun case as your rifle, I'd try that argument for sure.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Luzerne County)

For a long time the main enforcer of "loaded firearms in a vehicle" was the Pa. Game Commission. It is a safety rule. As far a the PGC is concerned any "gun" loaded in or on a vehicle is a violation. It is illegal to use the back of you'r pickup at the local range to set of fire from the bed of hood even if it is stopped an off and not on a road. You can not even lean a loaded "gun" on the side of a vehicle. For years the PCG was the only office that had a rule on loaded long guns. Now there is a law on the books for local law enforcment. I don't know the details.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Does it matter if one has a LTCF? Or does that only apply to pistols?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdancer View Post
    Does it matter if one has a LTCF? Or does that only apply to pistols?
    An LTCF or reciprocated license only applies to 6102 firearms (handguns, SBRs, SBSs) with respect to transport.
    IANAL