Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Re: I can haz mosin?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I started another thread about this before. Dunhams won't sell me a mosin because my current address differs from the one listed on my driver's license. They won't honor my "change of address" form from the state, and won't take any other ID either. They basically told me, as politely as they could, to screw off until I get a new driver's license.
    .......huh, well i'll be damned

Thats a pretty damn stupid policy.
    Oh well, you got one coming and someone else got your money, they loose.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    That's BS. The change of address card is perfectly valid.

I'd take my business elsewhere.
    Someone tried to tell me that once. I told them I'd take my business elsewhere. They took the change of address card.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Hex receivers were made prior to WWII and more time was taken with their production. During the war the Russians needed to crank them out as fast as possible so the rounded receivers were easier to crudely machine. No difference in accuracy but you'll pay a bit more for hex as you saw. Just a personal preference.
    Accuracy with a Mosin is kind of a crapshoot. Although nearly all will be pretty darn accurate, some are a little more accurate than others.

The point to getting a hex receiver is the history. Buying a hex receiver from AIM, SOG, or some other similar surplus supplier is kind of like a mini-lottery. You're pretty much guaranteed a gun that is worth more than you paid. However you have a chance of hitting a "jackpot" with a fairly uncommon Mosin. Most folks who have purchased hex receivers from AIM have received an "ex-Dragoon."

That's a 1891 Mosin Nagant Dragoon model rifle which was later converted into a Model 1891/30. And by later, that still means pre-war. However, based on markings and year, it might be possible to wind up with a 1891/30 prototype or something similarly uncommon. AIM doesn't inspect the stamps and markings too rigorously, and something like a 91/30 prototype is tough to spot by an untrained eye.

If you are purchasing the rifle purely as a shooter and for no other purpose whatsoever, buy a round receiver. If you have an appreciation for history, get either. I say either because while the hex receivers are older, many of the round receivers saw combat in WWII before being refurbished after the war.

Whatever the case, you may very well find yourself with a case of Mosinitis. Mosins tend to multiply.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    AIM doesn't inspect the stamps and markings too rigorously...

I didn't know that. I assumed they separated the better stuff like dragoons and ministry rifles like other sellers did. Great info, thanks.

I like my round receiver Izzy for the reason you mentioned anyway... the WWII history. All my milsurps are mid-war pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Smith View Post
    I'm on aimsurplus.com. What is the difference in the hex receiver? Is it worth $10? Thanks.
    Cosmetic only. Half-octagon profile (AKA "Hex") was a carryover from the first M1891 rifle. It was more or less the receiver style in the 1880s & 1890s. The Dreyse needle-gun had a hex receiver, I vaguely recall the Chassepot rifle had a similar receiver.

Zündnadelgewehr
    or Dreyse needle-gun.
    Note the split-bridge receiver design similar to the Mosin M1891 design.

This was a common design in the 1870 - 1880 era.

Around 1929-30 the Soviets changed the design & manufacturing process of the Mosin to make it more compatible with the 20th century. Three of the more obvious changes were: rear sight switched from Arshines (or "Arshins") to the metric system, they added a front sight hood, and the receiver was made entirely round. As I understand it, These changes are the "30" in 91/30.

When the pre-1930 "hex" Mosins were rebuilt, they were refitted with the newer parts (sights, etc). Thus, it's common to see a 91/30 with a hex receiver.

Some advance the notion the hex receivers are stronger, some Mosin diehard fans fawn over unique markings ("MO", Ministerstvo Oborony for instance). I really don't care either way.

Your call on the $10. I don't pay extra for hex, but I will pay extra for all matching, shiny bore, no counterbore & tight headspace.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Armstrong County)

hhmm interesting
    my Mosin is a 1933 with a hex reciever, front sight hood, and all numbers match. Reciever, bolt, trigger guard/magfloor plate, butt plate.

(Montgomery County)

Mine are dated 1939 and 1943, both all matching. The 39 shows some wear, has patches in the stock, and was counterbored, But it's really nice and clean as far as the machining. The 43, despite looking like it was never fired, is pretty rough due to it's wartime birth. The stock on the 43 is beautiful aside from some varnish peeling.
    I keep hoping to find one that's pretty beat up to use as a project, but no luck so far.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: I can haz mosin?

if you get the mosin disease, your better off getting a collector's license and avoid the middleman, then you don't have too deal with wasting gas and time looking for one. and congrads on your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    I didn't know that. I assumed they separated the better stuff like dragoons and ministry rifles like other sellers did. Great info, thanks.

I like my round receiver Izzy for the reason you mentioned anyway... the WWII history. All my milsurps are mid-war pieces.
    They'll separate the Finns and sell those at a premium of course. But I've heard folks get something that really was potentially a 1891/30 prototype from them based on markings and date. I say potentially, because as mentioned earlier, it's tough to tell if a rifle really was a prototype 91/30.

... However, based on markings and year, it might be possible to wind up with a 1891/30 prototype or something similarly uncommon. AIM doesn't inspect the stamps and markings too rigorously, and something like a 91/30 prototype is tough to spot by an untrained eye....
    Please feel free to train us.

Whatever the case, you may very well find yourself with a case of Mosinitis. Mosins tend to multiply.
    Indeed. That, they do.

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast