Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash

(Chester County)

Default Re: Cash

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Without anyone disclosing what they may or may not have on hand what's the minimum amount one should have?
    It took some time, but I just sorted out a baker's dozen of piles of cash that I stored in multiple one gallon waterproof Ziploc bags. I have no idea how I accumulated so much pocket change...

.1.jpg

All kinds of interesting stuff in there: a few Susan B. Anthony $1 coins, lots of Jefferson Nickles (you only need one to take apart a 1911) dated back to the 1950's, Roosevelt dimes galore, some Canadian coins that apparently were passed off as dimes and quarters, some coins that were double stamped, those junk quarters from every state, and lots of those crappy new pennies that feel lighter than air and have an artsy flag stamped on the back. When I put on my 10X set of eyeballs for a magnified look, I felt like my past was zipping by with many of the dates being associated with something that happened that specific year in my life...

It was my goal this April to head to FLA and scatter hundereds of those cheap pennies in the sand on the beach - just to make a metal detector junkie's day thinking he found lost rings, gold doubloons, etc. Looks like that fishing trip is now crossed off my list.

Hard to imagine that currency that used to buy you somethiing at the store a few decades ago is now on its way to loosing all purchasing power given the trillions of dollars of fiat currency now being printed. What a reset button they pressed, eh?

Hey, did anybody see a Lincoln Wheat cent in the pile? I know I found several of them after going through all the piles...

It used to be that "A penny saved was a penny earned..."

But now? Not so much.
    Last edited by bamboomaster; March 18th, 2020 at 09:16 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

Grocery stores, gas stations and power companies will always accept credit cards or a bank transfer. If they go down cash isn't going to help you......or even gold and silver.

The only currency will be food, fuel, firearms and toilet paper.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Grocery stores, gas stations and power companies will always accept credit cards or a bank transfer. If they go down cash isn't going to help you......or even gold and silver.

If there’s network issues gas stations and other places will take cash not credit cards. Heck saw it a few years ago after Sandy when cash was all a few places by me took.

I’ll always have cash on hand in safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    It took some time, but I just sorted out a baker's dozen of piles of cash that I stored in multiple one gallon waterproof Ziploc bags. I have no idea how I accumulated so much pocket change...

.1.jpg

All kinds of interesting stuff in there: a few Susan B. Anthony $1 coins, lots of Jefferson Nickles (you only need one to take apart a 1911) dated back to the 1950's, Roosevelt dimes galore, some Canadian coins that apparently were passed off as dimes and quarters, some coins that were double stamped, those junk quarters from every state, and lots of those crappy new pennies that feel lighter than air and have an artsy flag stamped on the back. When I put on my 10X set of eyeballs for a magnified look, I felt like my past was zipping by with many of the dates being associated with something that happened that specific year in my life...

It was my goal this April to head to FLA and scatter hundereds of those cheap pennies in the sand on the beach - just to make a metal detector junkie's day thinking he found lost rings, gold doubloons, etc. Looks like that fishing trip is now crossed off my list.

Hard to imagine that currency that used to buy you somethiing at the store a few decades ago is now on its way to loosing all purchasing power given the trillions of dollars of fiat currency now being printed. What a reset button they pressed, eh?

Hey, did anybody see a Lincoln Wheat cent in the pile? I know I found several of them after going through all the piles...

It used to be that "A penny saved was a penny earned..."

But now? Not so much.

Pull all those Wheaties out. Some of them can be worth quite a few bucks. Find a 1943 copper penny and you will have some serious cash.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; March 19th, 2020 at 10:34 AM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Halfway between Here and There, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Suggest broad assortment of denominations...hundreds are nice, but if you're buyin' stuff less than that, no one's gonna be able to make change...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post

I'm not sure what planet YOU are living on, but I, not all that infrequently, encounter situations where either MY card doesn't work, for whatever reason, or they are flat out and out DOWN for card transactions and it is cash only.

No fucking way would I not have cash on me if I could at all help it, when driving a car.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I have my son's saxophone at the local music shop for a cleaning and tune-up before I put it on Ebay. They called to tell me it's done. He wanted a CC over the phone so no exchange of anything but the sax was necessary.

Still, I think having cash on hand is reasonable. If TEOTWAWKI happens, it's a very durable ass wipe.
    Watch those money for sax transactions. Sorry, couldn't resist.

[QUOTE=Delkal;4162309]Grocery stores, gas stations and power companies will always accept credit cards or a bank transfer. If they go down cash isn't going to help you......or even gold and silver.

The only currency will be food, fuel, firearms and toilet paper.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget alcohol and tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Government plans on sending out checks for $1000. If everyone receiving that check wants to cash it, things might get interesting.
    You only get one of these stimulus checks if you earn less than $75k per year.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    You only get one of these stimulus checks if you earn less than $75k per year.
    da faq really?

What bout students?
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Even without some crisis going on, I would feel uncomfortable having any less than $3K in cash outside of a bank at all times. Anything less would seem insufficient to me.
    Well, that's a start, I suppose. Better than nothing.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast