Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Building an AR-10

So I've decided to undertake building an AR-10. I feel as though it would be a solid semi-auto long range weapon which is why I want one. I know the specs I want and certain parts. My biggest question is, what are decent brands to use for parts? Uppers? Lowers? Trigger Assemblies (I want an extrememly light weight trigger)? Barrels? Bolt Assemblies?

Any takers?

Default Re: Building an AR-10

Quote Originally Posted by thehoss129 View Post
    So I've decided to undertake building an AR-10. I feel as though it would be a solid semi-auto long range weapon which is why I want one. I know the specs I want and certain parts. My biggest question is, what are decent brands to use for parts? Uppers? Lowers? Trigger Assemblies (I want an extrememly light weight trigger)? Barrels? Bolt Assemblies?

Any takers?
    A factory rifle that's already put together isn't cheap and costs more than the average AR-15. If you try to build an AR-10 from parts, get ready to spend quite a lot of money. It's much more expensive to build on from parts than buy a complete rifle, it's not quite like building an AR-15. You also have to realize that lots of the parts aren't interchangeable between platforms. There's no standardization of the AR-10 platform, so depending on some parts that you've already decided on, that might limit your options on other parts. Some of the parts or specs you want may not even be compatible in the same rifle. If you really want advice on it, one thing that might help is telling us what you're looking for, or the "certain parts" you've already decided on. There are some big name manufacturers for AR-10 parts, but as stated, they are different and not all interchangeable. Depending on what you want on the rifle (in terms of specs), and barrel manufacturers, etc, it can be quite easy to spend $2,000 or more on this. You also mention that you want a "light weight trigger". How light do you exactly mean? Some people think 3 pounds is light, while others think 1.5 pounds or less is light. It would help to know exactly what you consider "light". That, and the lower and size of pin in it, and if you can use an AR-15 trigger in it may limit options. You also didn't mention if you wanted a single stage or 2 stage trigger. There's a big difference, and one will have far fewer options than the other. We need a lot more information and to know if you're serious about this because we start digging up all this and putting it together.

I'll bite on this one...

Tomcat088 has brought up some valid points (as he always does). Homework is required with this one.

I have played out the idea of putting an AR-10 sized rifle together and this is my thought on it.

I don't really need a rifle that is a close range 308. I have a pretty snazzy m4 that will handle everything I need up to 400. Therefor the AR10 that I'd want would fall into the 18-24" barrel range, making it more of a battle rifle or a precision rifle. There are some very well versed individuals out there who recommend no less then 22" barrels for 308 sized cartridges so the there is a more complete burn of all the powder. Now the question is, who will make the barrel that will work best for what I'm looking for? Bartlien makes GA Precisions GAP-10 barrels, but with an 8 month lead time, can you/I wait that long? Noveske offers barrels already made and they are of the quality you'd expect from Noveske.

Getting into the main part of the AR-10.http://www.megamachineshop.com/armscatalog.php Mega Arms makes a makes billet uppers and lowers. They even offer a monolithic upper. I wouldn't look further then that but, if you look you can some of the bigger manufactures who make the respective parts. Bravo Company makes a Gunfighter charging handle. JP Rifles(enterprises) makes a bolt carrier for it, so I would look into that. http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-4A Now, this rifle is costing a bit more then a standard AR-15. Well, that's the name of the game. Ask yourself, "How often am I going to shoot this?" Also, do you reload? You may want to if you plan on putting more then a box or two through this a year. After you get the upper, lower, BCG, barrel and trigger hammered out, the other parts shouldn't be to hard to figure out. Now, there is another issue. Which magazine style will your rifle take? There are two different style magazines. The Mega takes the same type the Mk11/M110 take, which are also made in Pmag format. Now, after a few grand wrapped up in this thing, it's time for glass. Your not going to put a Barska or BSA or even a Leupold on it, you will need something of higher quality, how much is that going to cost + the ADM, Bobro or GDI mount? Will the rifle alone cost more then $2,560? If so, I'd just buy a GAP-10.

Just a little food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

what is your motivation for building? My DPMS lr308 with only a cheap scope and grip monopod does .5 moa easily at 100 yds. longest shot I have taken with it was 600 yards and I hit the 12 inch gong 9 out of 10. I feel it could do better with a better shooter, but honestly this is my pig killing gun and it is accurate enough for my needs.

edited for: I forgot I put a 2 stage trigger in it.

(Bucks County)

I built an AR-10 carbine from 100% Armalite parts about 5 years ago and couldn't get it to run initially. I started with an Armalite 2 stage LPK.

Two years ago I decided to take it down to SC for a hog hunt and changed out the LPK for one with a standard trigger. I had the same problem with the second LPK. Turns out the hammers of both kits were too wide to fit through the slot in the bolt carrier. A little work with the dremel got everything together and running fine.

As far as accuracy goes, my AR-10 is an acceptable short range hunting rifle, but I would have a hard time feeling comfortable taking a shot on game beyond 300 yards with it. I did take three hogs with it at ranges of 50-190 yards and it ran fine and the 180 grain Remington Core Lokts were accurate enough and worked as advertised.

Certainly you can build an AR-10 type rifle to suit your needs and it looks like you've gotten a lot of good advice here. Personally I wouldn't build a rifle for long range accuracy with Armalite parts due to my experience.

I'll make the disclaimer now. The logical thing to do is buy a SCAR-H in 7.62 NATO and forget the AR-10. Having said that, If I had to build an AR-10, here's what I'd do.

I'd go for a CMMG Lower so I could use standard AR-15 parts for most of it and standard spec AR-10 Mags. I'll say this about 18" barrels. My M1A has an 18 on it and it clocks around 2755 FPS in relatively fast 168 grain loadings and 3000 for Hornady Superformance 150 gr SSTs. So velocity loss isn't really an issue for me. Therefore, I'll take a 1/10 twist 18" chrome lined barrel. You'd have to do some more research to find out which BCG and upper you'd prefer. You could likely fit the barrel into a DPMS or Noveske upper.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.