Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Advice/Experience on classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I think I'm about to bite on the Ellis Island dolls. I might just wait for the 101st bump though.

I've bought and traded for several guns in the Classifieds here. I've also done partial and straight up trades with ammo for at least four, and it was never mentioned it in their ads.

All you can do is ask, and if it's meant to be, it'll happen. All my transactions here have been great and both parties have walked away happy.(as far as I know)

THE HELL YOU ARE!

I have been walking miles around town collecting pennies on the ground, and rolling them in order to get these for my creepy doll collection and you sure wont be stopping that from happening.

Another one of my favorites is the "as new in box" gun that is marked down $25 from retail. Sorry but guns are like cars, the minute you drive it off the lot the value plummets. I recently saw on another site advertised a "20 year old, new in box" mossberg 500. Who buys a mossberg 500 20 years ago and never takes it out of the box?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    Another one of my favorites is the "as new in box" gun that is marked down $25 from retail. Sorry but guns are like cars, the minute you drive it off the lot the value plummets. I recently saw on another site advertised a "20 year old, new in box" mossberg 500. Who buys a mossberg 500 20 years ago and never takes it out of the box?
    To me "New in box" works for products where it's shrink-wrapped or similar, and it really means "New" in box. To me there's really no such thing as NIB for guns. The moment you walk out the door of the LGS with it, it's 'used' and you're selling it as a private party, not a dealer.
    DGAF

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    To me "New in box" works for products where it's shrink-wrapped or similar, and it really means "New" in box. To me there's really no such thing as NIB for guns. The moment you walk out the door of the LGS with it, it's 'used' and you're selling it as a private party, not a dealer.
    Once a 4473 is filled out, it is not 'NEW' but until you fire it, I consider it 'like new in box' or 'as new in box'. Once you load and fire it, it is now used excellent or less depending on how much it is used. YMMV.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post

I may pay a premium for a never fired 20 year old Mossberg because it's probably better made than a current production model.

See? Not all potential buyers see it as an old gun that's not worth anything close to new pricing.

Older, used Marlins routinely fetch the same as/more than a new one.

Also, who is to say they the seller is "unrealistic"?
    Maybe that offensive "near retail" price that you see listed is NOT what he's willing to sell it for?

I know some people boast that they only post the price they want for their item, but anyone who lives in the real world knows that you price an item higher in order to have some room for negotiating. When you come down on your price, the buyer feels they are getting a satisfactory deal, and you likely got what you wanted in the first place.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I may pay a premium for a never fired 20 year old Mossberg because it's probably better made than a current production model.

See? Not all potential buyers see it as an old gun that's not worth anything close to new pricing.

Older, used Marlins routinely fetch the same as/more than a new one.

Also, who is to say they the seller is "unrealistic"?
    Maybe that offensive "near retail" price that you see listed is NOT what he's willing to sell it for?

I know some people boast that they only post the price they want for their item, but anyone who lives in the real world knows that you price an item higher in order to have some room for negotiating. When you come down on your price, the buyer feels they are getting a satisfactory deal, and you likely got what you wanted in the first place.
    I think Marcus99 is generally correct in broad strokes, though there are obvious exceptions. I'd say anything many years old and/or otherwise collectible/rare just can't be evaluated by "retail" price. Frankly, anything that's really no longer available "new" (or at least something very similar) isn't either. You can't go by "what it sold for new 5 years ago" obviously. Try selling a car on that basis! But for the bulk of what I see being offered for sale here, typically more modern guns quite often still available new, it makes sense.

As to the rest... Everyone's got their 'selling strategy' and if it works for them, great. I'm not sure I'd call something posted for months on end with tons of "bumps" a successful sales strategy, though.

Personally, if I see something I consider more-than-slightly overpriced from what I'd be willing to pay, I'm not gonna bother making an offer. Largely driven by the fact that if I post as a seller, I'm not gonna pad very much. Maybe offering me 5% under my ask would work, but that's gonna be about it. So when I see something that would need to come down 40% for me to buy it, I figure no chance, and don't bother. That happens to work for me, and I've never had a problem buying or selling online for prices that were acceptable to me.

YMMV of course: the range of buying & selling strategies are as wide as a Texas Ranch.

Most of my buying/selling online experience was not vis-a-vis the classifieds here, so I was seeking a bit of "cultural" sense of how it works here. Pretty sure based on all I've heard it's about like anywhere else.
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

We recently had a thread here, since closed, on classifieds.

My question is actually seeking advice:

I regularly see classifieds with woefully unrealistic prices. E.g. 9mm or .223 ammo (my interests) at prices higher/same as brand-new/commercial pricing. Ditto for many firearms: folks looking for 'retail' pricing for an aftermarket transaction.

I've posted a couple classified here myself, with (I think) fair aftermarket pricing. In the case of ammo, e.g., 33% ish off regular retail, and seen them move quickly.

Is there any point making these folks an offer? Are they best ignored? Is this a case of "ads that sit and sit are sitting for a reason?" Is there a point in trying to engage them at reasonable 'aftermarket' prices? Or simply 'let it go' and watch them "bump" the ad over and over...

Just seeking to get some 'collective wisdom' from those with more experience than I with PAFOA classified.

KC
    I think Marcus99 is generally correct in broad strokes, though there are obvious exceptions. I'd say anything many years old and/or otherwise collectible/rare just can't be evaluated by "retail" price. Frankly, anything that's really no longer available "new" (or at least something very similar) isn't either. You can't go by "what it sold for new 5 years ago" obviously. Try selling a car on that basis! But for the bulk of what I see being offered for sale here, typically more modern guns quite often still available new, it makes sense.

As to the rest... Everyone's got their 'selling strategy' and if it works for them, great. I'm not sure I'd call something posted for months on end with tons of "bumps" a successful sales strategy, though.

Personally, if I see something I consider more-than-slightly overpriced from what I'd be willing to pay, I'm not gonna bother making an offer. Largely driven by the fact that if I post as a seller, I'm not gonna pad very much. Maybe offering me 5% under my ask would work, but that's gonna be about it. So when I see something that would need to come down 40% for me to buy it, I figure no chance, and don't bother. That happens to work for me, and I've never had a problem buying or selling online for prices that were acceptable to me.

YMMV of course: the range of buying & selling strategies are as wide as a Texas Ranch.

Most of my buying/selling online experience was not vis-a-vis the classifieds here, so I was seeking a bit of "cultural" sense of how it works here. Pretty sure based on all I've heard it's about like anywhere else.
    You answered your own question. (Several times actually). You seem to be quite aware as to what to do when dealing with the classifieds on this forum. Not calling you out or anything but this thread seems to have turned into a debate on the classified section which I believe is a no-no here.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    You answered your own question. (Several times actually). You seem to be quite aware as to what to do when dealing with the classifieds on this forum. Not calling you out or anything but this thread seems to have turned into a debate on the classified section which I believe is a no-no here.

No, you can discuss it. You just can't mention nancy in pa's ads.

Ooops.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Three types of ads I ignore everywhere.

Over priced, and worse no price or pictures.

I don't have time to haggle with unreasonably priced merchandise, and certainly no time to request prices and pictures.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345