Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Proposed Second Buck Tag: Admitted Money Grab

Antler restrictions have more to do with managing the age of the males in the herd than the number. You only need a few bucks to keep a large number of does serviced.

I have no problem with it. I won't personally be purchasing a second buck tag, but I won't have an issue if others do.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, good lean beef at an average of $4 per pound and say 40 lbs of meat.....$160. I’d say it’s a wash. But I can’t put a price on the tradition for my family. And I cut my own deer up. So there’s a savings. But average Joe can’t afford to buy another tag at that price.
    I'm looking at it from the aspect of someone completely new getting into it. You're talking anyone from $500 to $1000+ for a rifle, then all the other clothing and gear needed, plus licensing and butchering since I doubt someone new would be doing that. If you only get 40lbs of meat, that's a lot of years before hunting actually pays off.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Antler restrictions have more to do with managing the age of the males in the herd than the number. You only need a few bucks to keep a large number of does serviced.

I have no problem with it. I won't personally be purchasing a second buck tag, but I won't have an issue if others do.
    How about the suggestion that it will reduce the availability of good bucks for rifle hunters who are afield later in the season than archers who already are reducing the buck pool? And not mentioned but many good bucks are simply wasted during archery season because they are not found or worse....not followed up reasonably.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'm looking at it from the aspect of someone completely new getting into it. You're talking anyone from $500 to $1000+ for a rifle, then all the other clothing and gear needed, plus licensing and butchering since I doubt someone new would be doing that. If you only get 40lbs of meat, that's a lot of years before hunting actually pays off.
    Realize it is possible to take a buck and as many does as you purchase permits for which some years has been four deer for me.

(Allegheny County)

You're applying an ROI model to a hobby. That's not necessarily reasonable.

If someone says, "I go hunting because it's cheaper than going to the grocery store" - then yeah, OK, apply your ROI model and show them otherwise (or not).

But if someone says, "I got hunting because it lets me bond with my kid" or "I need the exercise" or even "I want to take another life and this is the only way I can do it legally" - well, offering the ROI model is not so reasonable.

I will apply this to my own hobby - scuba diving. Eventually, I bought my own tanks. I went all out too and got nice steel high pressure tanks. Around $500 each, $1000 total - all in with the 1st stage regulators. Now, you can RENT a tank (with air) for $10/day (maybe $15/day for tanks like mine, but let's go with $10/day). I'd have to rent 2 tanks for 50 days just to break even on the cost of the tanks. But if you factor in the cost to fill them with air at maybe $7/each, now it takes 167 dive days just to break even. That's a fuckload of dive days! But wait, you also have to factor in the cost of hydrostatic testing every 5 years, and annual testing every year. Penciling all that out - it makes no sense to buy the two tanks. Right? From an ROI perspective. But you know what? I've got two full tanks in my garage, and all of the rest of my own gear. I don't have to rent jack shit. If I want to go diving, I can pack my Jeep and just go - I don't have to coordinate anything with a dive shop, go there to pick up or drop of tanks when I want to dive, or anything else. I just go. THAT is what I am paying for (:

Please don't ask me how many dives are on those tanks (:
    Last edited by free; January 3rd, 2018 at 11:19 PM.

Honest question: With the costs of licensing, gear, butchering and other such sundries, is the amount of meat you get from a dear actually cost effective?
    For most hunters no.
    Although most gear lasts a long time. I butcher my own (a lot of work), and often take two deer. But as said, for most it's a form of entertainment. Still cheaper than golf.

(Wayne County)

If someone has the wherewithal to spend that kind of cash just to get started, they probably are financially flush enough that they aren't into it on a cost/unit of meat basis. I know plenty of folks that started hunting with a borrowed rifle, street/work clothes they already own, and butcher it themselves or with the help of a friend. People make hunting more difficult than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    How about the suggestion that it will reduce the availability of good bucks for rifle hunters who are afield later in the season than archers who already are reducing the buck pool? And not mentioned but many good bucks are simply wasted during archery season because they are not found or worse....not followed up reasonably.
    I reject that assertion. 1) Legal bucks are few and far between and the probability of taking more than one is low to start with. 2) Bucks have a limited range. Therefore, the number of people that would be affected by taking more than one buck in a particular location would be small. 3) Most bucks alter their behavior and become more reclusive early in the season after archery/early muzzleloader, let alone after the first few days of antlered season. This further limits the probability of running into a second buck later in the season. Most folks that I know who take a buck do so early in the season rather than later.

Plus, it's hunting, not a quota system. There's no guarantee that you will get a buck anyway.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    There's no guarantee that you will get a buck anyway.
    You could get one EVERY TIME if you went hunting with Harry Truman's desk.

(Bucks County)

This is one of the reasons I'd like to see the wild hog population explode in PA. At least we'd have a game animal to hunt. PGC has decimated the deer herd, and the hunting lands are going away. Let the hogs blossom and all those farmers that are supposed to be opening their lands (but aren't) will be begging hunters to come. All those homeowners that are lobbying for an end to hunting in their townships will all of a sudden be very friendly to hunters.
    On the other hand, it's a really HORRIBLE idea, for a ton of reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'd like to see the wild hog population explode in PA. At least we'd have a game animal to hunt. PGC has decimated the deer herd, and the hunting lands are going away. Let the hogs blossom and all those farmers that are supposed to be opening their lands (but aren't) will be begging hunters to come. All those homeowners that are lobbying for an end to hunting in their townships will all of a sudden be very friendly to hunters.
    On the other hand, it's a really HORRIBLE idea, for a ton of reasons!

Really?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast