Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: State Police Launch New Free Firearms Safety Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    In those conversations has the discussion of how to get the gun working if needed NOW come up?

I have an idea. Have two guns. One unloaded and ready to snatch and point at the bad guy while unlocking the loaded one.
    Some own multiple guns, some are novice owners who keep them secured at all times, some don't have a lock box or safe and when not carrying they lock them to keep them secure from their children. Their business.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    I support any effort to reduce preventable firearm related injuries. In fact, I think that it would do a great deal of good if the flyer (sans the record of firearms) were mailed to every residence in the country.

Too many people don't have a clue about handling firearms and every little bit helps. In my mind there is nothing objectionable in the six "rules" presented, they seem like a solid foundation to build upon. I would use the space on the back of the flyer to expand on the safety concepts.

As stated above, not everyone is an operator.
    Correct. Try waking up at 2-dark-thirty when you hear a noise downstairs, and have to retrieve the key, or key in a sequence of numbers, or left-right-left the dial, in the dark, and stick six rounds in the cylinder, while trying to wake up and get yourself oriented, all in the dark, while to noise is getting closer. We're not all operators.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Correct. Try waking up at 2-dark-thirty when you hear a noise downstairs, and have to retrieve the key, or key in a sequence of numbers, or left-right-left the dial, in the dark, and stick six rounds in the cylinder, while trying to wake up and get yourself oriented, all in the dark, while to noise is getting closer. We're not all operators.
    Not the way I would recomend approaching the problem either, but then, my circumstances aren't the same as someone else's might be. Each person needs to assess what works best for them in their particular circumstance.

(Columbia County)

I suggest if anyone wants to record their firearms inventory to create their own using an excel spreadsheet. In addition to make mode and serial #, I always record place of purchase and if sold the date of sale and the buyer's name and if for a handgun the ffl holder where transfer too place.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; January 2nd, 2020 at 03:27 PM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    I support any effort to reduce preventable firearm related injuries. In fact, I think that it would do a great deal of good if the flyer (sans the record of firearms) were mailed to every residence in the country.

Too many people don't have a clue about handling firearms and every little bit helps. In my mind there is nothing objectionable in the six "rules" presented, they seem like a solid foundation to build upon. I would use the space on the back of the flyer to expand on the safety concepts.

As stated above, not everyone is an operator.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Some own multiple guns, some are novice owners who keep them secured at all times, some don't have a lock box or safe and when not carrying they lock them to keep them secure from their children. Their business.
    Incorrect!

The first four are universal rules. In general, following those laws will not result in unintentional/unwanted harm to the user.

The last two are recommendations/suggestions (based on what some believe to be improper logic) that are couched as universal requirements, especially to those who are novice and unfamiliar with the laws. These, under appropriate circumstances, could very easily prevent needed firearm use, thus causing unwanted harm to the user.

If it was presented as "We recommend..." rather than " Always", few would object as strongly.

I believe the last two were deliberately placed in with the first four in that manner in order to have new firearm owners internalize agenda-driven safety guidelines with tried and true, empirically-based guidelines, as they are still ignorant enough of the true laws to understand the difference.

You are correct. Not everyone is an operator. Nor do they need to be to understand the law, IF it is plainly, and correctly, conveyed.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Incorrect!

The first four are universal rules. In general, following those laws will not result in unintentional/unwanted harm to the user.

The last two are recommendations/suggestions (based on what some believe to be improper logic) that are couched as universal requirements, especially to those who are novice and unfamiliar with the laws. These, under appropriate circumstances, could very easily prevent needed firearm use, thus causing unwanted harm to the user.

If it was presented as "We recommend..." rather than " Always", few would object as strongly.

I believe the last two were deliberately placed in with the first four in that manner in order to have new firearm owners internalize agenda-driven safety guidelines with tried and true, empirically-based guidelines, as they are still ignorant enough of the true laws to understand the difference.

You are correct. Not everyone is an operator. Nor do they need to be to understand the law, IF it is plainly, and correctly, conveyed.
    All of my firearms that are not in use are unloaded and stored in my safe. There are also several that are loaded and ready to go at a moments notice. These are in various places in the house and are an integral part of the overall security plan. I consider these to be "in use" and therefore not subject to the enumerated "rules".

I reference "rules" which are more properly considered principles. And as I stated, these principles should be accompanied by a more detailed discussion of their application.

Free firearms?????????????????
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    I just threw about 50 of those gun locks in the trash after cleaning out my gun room... Do people actually use those things?
    I use them as trailer tongue stops instead of a lynch pin...
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Lancaster County)

Are we talking about these laughably stupid gun locks?

There ain't anything about them that makes them safe. The lock can be picked with a paperclip and the cable can be cut with a pair of dikes.

Even these are useless since they can be easily bypassed with a small screw driver.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    If you already own a gun lock and want to print out the firearms safety card to help you keep an inventory of the guns you own in case one gets stolen or lost, head here to print out the card.
    Sounds like registration cards to me...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast