Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need a cheaper 9mm- M&P? Glock?

Hey guys,

My wife and I recently ran into some student loan issues and I had to sell off my 92fs to pull us back up and out. It was my only pistol, so now that we are back on track and fixed the issue, I'm looking for a new pistol. I have experience with everything, except S&W. But, I need something that is easy to get mags/holsters for and is fairly cheap.

I've heard awesome words about the S&W M&P 9 and 9c. Anyone use these?

I was also looking at a Glock 19 or Glock 17. I don't target shoot, I just need a reliable self-defense weapon. Anyone have any idea on what to look at?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Need a cheaper 9mm- M&P? Glock?

I would rent them at a local range. There are so many different choices for you. You also need to think about how you are going to carry the gun. Not only does it need to be comfortable for you to shoot but also to carry.

I am more partial to the Glock than the M&P myself. I mostly OC so I use my XDM 40 which I love, and I find it to be extremely accurate. Either way get out and shoot them because they are all going to be around the same price.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Dauphin County)

Glock 26, I love mine to death, can't believe how accurate it is for such a small gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wally05 View Post
    Hey guys,

My wife and I recently ran into some student loan issues and I had to sell off my 92fs to pull us back up and out. It was my only pistol, so now that we are back on track and fixed the issue, I'm looking for a new pistol. I have experience with everything, except S&W. But, I need something that is easy to get mags/holsters for and is fairly cheap.

I've heard awesome words about the S&W M&P 9 and 9c. Anyone use these?

I was also looking at a Glock 19 or Glock 17. I don't target shoot, I just need a reliable self-defense weapon. Anyone have any idea on what to look at?
    You should look into a range that rents guns. Try them out for yourself.

I personally don't like Glocks. I owned a G26 for all of 9 days and sold it. I found it to be uncomfortable after firing 100 rounds. It also wasn't as accurate as people were saying. I couldn't hit a target at 7 yards. Every shot was centered but too low.

Now, I own a Smith & Wesson M&P9 fullsize & the M&P9c. These guns have the nicest grips I have had on a gun. Very comfortable. They're extremely accurate considering I could get a 3" grouping at 25 yards. Awesome sights on them. You can use the fullsize (17 round) magazine in the M&P9c. You can buy a grip extension here (http://www.calssportingarmory.com/X_...0_p/xgswmp.htm) to give you a fullsize grip feel. They're made by X-Grip.

Hope it helped.

- iMoses

(Bucks County)

Are you going to carry? Is it only for home defense and range?

I have both M&P 9c and full size. If I was getting only one gun and planned on carrying it, 9c would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    Are you going to carry? Is it only for home defense and range?

I have both M&P 9c and full size. If I was getting only one gun and planned on carrying it, 9c would be my choice.
    i prefer shooting my M&P9c over the 92F (yes, it's actually a 92F not FS, though obviously performs same). call me crazy. the M&P is just so soft on the recoil, yet accurate enough for range play, reliable (eats just about anything - just like what you were used to with the 92FS). it is a lot different feel in your hands, of course, but if you're going polymer, M&P9c is just a great all around option for range and concealed carry.

as an aside, i would add that the interchangeable backstraps mean that your wife will enjoy shooting it too, even if her hands are small (just swap in the small strap). the straps change out very easy, you can't even really tell they are interchangeable looking at it, and really make a difference (i have large hands, and with the large backgstrap, it's a pleasure for me).

exceptional gun for the money. AND S&W has notoriously great customer service if you ever have an issue (for LIFE). just be sure to buy it new to get the full rights.

(Allegheny County)

The M&P is a GREAT gun Ive had one for a year with no complaints.

Check your PMs.

(Lancaster County)

I find the Glock to be more comfortable to shoot. There are also tons of aftermarket parts and accessories for it. Not so many for the M&P.

You can also stock up on the Korean made Glock mags that are super cheap. In my experience they work just as well but can be had for $10/pair. They also make a 33 rd mag that sells for about $10. Can't beat that!

I find the trigger to be more comfortable on the Glock than the M&P, but there's nothing wrong with checking both out to see which one you like better.

(Allegheny County)

These are excellent posts, guys. I know that it will be up to me to decide and test fire (JoshT, I'm definitely interested, I'll pm you back about it), but it's good to get some more ideas. I'm an avid beretta fan, but I've shot a lot of stuff. The m&p would be something different. I have a ton of 9mm, so I would like it to be 9mm.

PS: This is a carry gun, so I'd like to keep it midsize/compact.
    Last edited by wally05; October 8th, 2010 at 12:35 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Go classic get a High Power and if you're on a budget you can get one of the clones like the FM Hi-Power, made in Argentina under license or the Hungarian PJK-9HP. I have two of the latter and they are both reliable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast