Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default No more 8mm mauser surplus?

I haven't purchased 8mm mauser ammo in a few years. When I got my Yugo m24/47 a few years back I bought a few hundred rounds of Yugo 1950's surplus and a spam can of 1970's Romanian surplus for ~20c/rd. I moved from CA and left it all behind at my dad's place.

I was considering investing in a Yugo M76 now and decided to look up how much 8mm mauser surplus is going for... apparently it's not (I don't count the 1930's Iranian stuff I'd never put in my guns) I can always get my dad to ship what I have in CA over to me I guess, but I'd hesitant to get the m76 if there isn't a surplus supply of 8mm... Esp. when 762x54r is still cheap and a PSL costs about the same as an M76.

Anyway, back to the original point. How long has good surplus 8mm been missing and does anyone have any clues about it ever coming back?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: No more 8mm mauser surplus?

AIM Surplus had it forever but then I stopped seeing them have it about 6-8 months ago at least. I was really really tempted to grab up some for MG shoots in case I got the opportunity to shoot an MG42, but then it vanished right when I got that idea. Maybe drop them a line to see what they think about it resurfacing in the near future.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Id get the m76 because its better built and would be easier to reload for, and caliber changes would be less involved.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    AIM Surplus had it forever but then I stopped seeing them have it about 6-8 months ago at least. I was really really tempted to grab up some for MG shoots in case I got the opportunity to shoot an MG42, but then it vanished right when I got that idea. Maybe drop them a line to see what they think about it resurfacing in the near future.
    I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and post their answer here. iirc I did get most of my surplus from them.

(Butler County)

Seems like all the misurp ammo is drying up, except nagant stuff. Can't find swede 6.5x55 anymore. 303 is long gone. Bandoliers of turk used to be 8 bucks and nobody wanted it. Still some K31 around. The golden days are over.

(Monroe County)

Most of the 8mm Mauser has dried up due to the large amount of semi 1919s made over the past decade, plus the transferable 1919s as well.

PSL barrels are known to have good amount of whip.

There are people on AK forums that have builds with cut barrels. From what I read they are pretty happy with them.

8mm ammo is still out there, not much, but there is still some.
    Samco Global has some 1950's Iranian surplus. https://samcoglobal.com/Ammo-8mm.html
    SOG and Widener's also have 1950's Yugo http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-...pper-clip.html

If you want to shoot 54R go with VEPR in 54R, super solid platform.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

(Montgomery County)

SOG still has some of the '50s Yugo 8mm:
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-...pper-clip.html

So does Wideners: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...dir=18|830|854. Wideners also has the Yugo M75 "sniper" ammo: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...dir=18|830|854.

(Monroe County)

I've been Savin whatever brass I can find or shoot for my Mauser for 2 years now in hopes of reloading it. Rumor has it from an old school reloaded I know, you can use 30-06 brass necked out and cut down to load your own 8mm.

Surplus is nearly existent. It's gone the way of .303 brit
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    I've been Savin whatever brass I can find or shoot for my Mauser for 2 years now in hopes of reloading it. Rumor has it from an old school reloaded I know, you can use 30-06 brass necked out and cut down to load your own 8mm.

Surplus is nearly existent. It's gone the way of .303 brit
    +1 Surplus ammo except for calibers commonly still in use will dry up eventually.Look at all the 54R ammo and rifles imported from Warsaw Pac countries (mainly Ukraine) That too will cease to exist remember how cheap the Albanian 54R ammo used to be and how much there was! Now where is it? Same will happen to all the surplus ammo including the 5.45x39 . If you able Buy cheap and stock deep unless you reload then pick the calibers that brass is cheap or can be reformed from other calibers as stated above 8mm can be made from 30-06 brass ,54R nothing really that fits the bill But new brass will be available but pricy compared to other calibers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast