Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Pennsylvanians increasingly acquiring handguns...

http://timesleader.com/news/news/153142144/

State data showing rapidly increased gun sales indicate that Pennsylvanians, who have long had a tradition of sports firearms, are increasingly acquiring handguns, the type of weapon traditionally associated with self-protection. Handgun sales increased by 171 percent between 2001 and 2013, according to data from state police.

Total gun sales and transfers peaked in 2012 at 1,214,929, or about 10 per 100 people. In 2013, the number of sales and transfers in the state dropped to 808,507.

Statewide, concealed-carry permits increased by 166 percent in the same time period while sportsman’s firearms permits, which allow individuals 18 and older to carry a handgun for the purpose of hunting, fur taking, fishing or training hunting dogs in conjunction with the proper license but do not allow concealed carry, decreased by nearly 53 percent.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Pennsylvanians increasingly acquiring handguns...

That's good news.

(Bucks County)

"An armed society is a polite society"

The stats are a bit skewed. There are some of us out there that have acquired more than our share of 10 per 100

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    The stats are a bit skewed. There are some of us out there that have acquired more than our share of 10 per 100

SHHHHHHH, DHS does not have to know...

(Montgomery County)

The increase does not surprise me. The nature of the times is enough to make many people think about self defense. I meet two long time pro photographer colleagues for lunch once a month. We are in our early 70s. Last month I just mentioned that I had been to a firing range that morning. One asked me why I CC'd. I explained that at my age I was not going to fist fight with a mugger, nor was I going to lay down and die if some nutcase or terrorist attacks any place I am at. We had a good discussion, and both being ex Army Infantry they had no problems with good people having guns.

So we met for lunch at noon today, and I was shocked. Each of them had obtained a LTCF and handgun since our last meeting. So there are at least 2 more gun owners in PA than there were last month. We are all going top a range together next week. They bought the guns but have not fired them yet. Our shootout ought to be quite an experience. We are going to wager on who shoots best, and I am going to win.

(Jefferson County)

They need to fix their story. ...the purpose of the Sportsman Permit is to conceal while participating in those sporting activities(also to transport in a vehicle). PA regulates concealment and vehicle carry, not OPEN carry(outside of Philly).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    http://timesleader.com/news/news/153142144/

State data showing rapidly increased gun sales indicate that Pennsylvanians, who have long had a tradition of sports firearms, are increasingly acquiring handguns, the type of weapon traditionally associated with self-protection. Handgun sales increased by 171 percent between 2001 and 2013, according to data from state police.

Total gun sales and transfers peaked in 2012 at 1,214,929, or about 10 per 100 people. In 2013, the number of sales and transfers in the state dropped to 808,507.

Statewide, concealed-carry permits increased by 166 percent in the same time period while sportsman’s firearms permits, which allow individuals 18 and older to carry a handgun for the purpose of hunting, fur taking, fishing or training hunting dogs in conjunction with the proper license but do not allow concealed carry, decreased by nearly 53 percent.
    Numbers do NOT MATCH the PSP statistics.

Total transfers 2013 = 808,507; 2012 = 800,890.
    (Don't know where their 1,214,929 came from????)

Check the data I provided in another thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...r-metrics.html

You will readily see that firearm transfers of longarms has risen each year from 2010-2013 and handguns have risen each year from 2004-2013)!

IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    In Pennsylvania "an armed society is a registered society" They are still registering every sale on the ROS and nothing is still being done about it. We've got to stop calling it transferring, that's not what it is. It's registering, it's called registration.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lackawanna County)

As a proud Pennsyltukian, I will do everything in my financial power, to pick up the slack, for the non-participants.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast