Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default So, got my application for the Sheriff Reserve

Well, I've always wanted to help out people in a way that could matter, there's no need in my area for any more volunteer firemen. So I had been tossing idea's around. I posted awhile back, about the Sheriff Reserve Unit. I decided to move along with it. Got the application today.

Found it kind of odd, they ask if you already have a permit to carry a firearm (I guess this is propper, we have the an LTCF, but it does ask where it was issued, so I guess it's a catch all).

They also ask if I was ever a member of the communist party.. lol

They want $160.00 application fee, I found that to be a bit much, but eh, maybe it goes to a good cause.

(Erie County)

Default Re: So, got my application for the Sheriff Reserve

I've only seen them once. Directing traffic during Presque Isle Days here in Erie. They were unarmed.

No idea what they normally do. There should be a wide need for them around here as the city and sheriff's always seem to be laying off officers/deputies.

(Allegheny County)

If it's amything like my borough's Auxilary police. They direct traffic at events, assist in searches and disaster events.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

here's the website for the allegheny county sheriff reserves.
    www.acsdreserve.org/

(Allegheny County)

in allegheny county there are 2 levels of participation, one is the general or non uniform division which is just an expensive club with no duties or authority. the second is the uniform division which are the commissioned special deputies.

this is a very political organization and you get almost nothing in the way of support. you have to buy your own uniforms and equipment and weapons and even though the reserve gets paid for details, you don't get any of it. when i was in most of the money eventually went to the sheriff and buying Christmas bottles of booze for each of the active [paid] deputies.

It's a very political organization, and the sheriff's office isn't in the best repute right now anyway. Not to mention a rabid anti gun acting sheriff.

I would suggest you find another organization to participate in.

(Allegheny County)

I'm just curious, but do they just call you and tell you to go to this event, go to that event? It says on the website that you are trained "extensively"...what does that entail, and are you carrying a sidearm when you are on duty...even if it's only directing traffic?

(Allegheny County)

when i went their "school" i had just finished act 120 at IUP and the so called school i went to was a joke. a couple of the instructors were really good and also nice guys, but most were nothing more than 15 minutes of "instruction" and an hour and a half of smoke breaks. much of the information was just plain incorrect and when i or another of the recent 120 grads spoke up we were derided and told to shut up.

each topic covered was little more than an overview, and there were several guys that they passed through that were complete failures but had made significant contributions. it didn't end up mattering because these guys were then exempted from working the mandatory details that were required for the rest of us.

they would call you sometimes on a Friday afternoon and tell you what detail you had to do. sometimes they would ask you when you were available for the month. sometimes it would be scheduled a month ahead and sometimes not. it made it hard to plan ahead. of course it always depended on WHO you were, which was the most important factor.

(Chester County)

I shit you not, Shaquille O'Neil (yes, the basketball player) is a reserver police officer in Miami, Florida!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    I shit you not, Shaquille O'Neil (yes, the basketball player) is a reserver police officer in Miami, Florida!
    Dan Akroyd is Royal Canadian Mountie.

(Allegheny County)

No kidding, I stood Shore Patrol in the Navy.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast