Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Driving with High Beams at night on the highway

My favorite is the people who use extreme high watt lights that make the low beams unbearable.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by s.vermeire View Post
    One obviously common reason would be that the greater rate of travel requires a longer visual range to maintain adequate reaction times. In other words if you're going faster the high beams make it easier to see farther when that 12 point jumps out into the road.

What highways do you drive that already have adequate lighting??

Oh, just checked, you're in Philadelphia; most of the rest of the state doesn't have lighted highways. We don't like bright lights everywhere because then you can't see the stars.
    Agreed. At night, it's a good idea to use high beams by default, dimming to low beams only when there is oncoming traffic visible, or when you are relatively close behind another vehicle (I'd say 1000 feet or so). Why not use increased visibility if you have it? It's like carrying a 10-round magazine in your gun when you can carry a 15-rounder that's the same size (to make it gun-related). Remember, you should not out-drive your headlights, driving only as fast as you can still see the point at which your car would stop should you need to make a panic stop.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I hate driving at night. I rue the day when I get "old" and have a hard time seeing.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Lights are on - no one's "home"...

The one that gets me, are the morons who drive around the CITY, on cloudless, full moon nights, even - under the thousands of city arc lights - and have their fog lights ON!

WTF?!?! What, are these MOUTH-BREATHERS thinking?!?!

When MY window's down, I'll yell at them - 'TURN OFF YOUR FOG LAMPS, DUMBASS! THE ONLY "FOG" OUT HERE, IS BETWEEN YOUR EARS...

Bob

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    Agreed. At night, it's a good idea to use high beams by default, dimming to low beams only when there is oncoming traffic visible, or when you are relatively close behind another vehicle (I'd say 1000 feet or so). Why not use increased visibility if you have it? It's like carrying a 10-round magazine in your gun when you can carry a 15-rounder that's the same size (to make it gun-related). Remember, you should not out-drive your headlights, driving only as fast as you can still see the point at which your car would stop should you need to make a panic stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Yes.

Common Man-Law against being a douche-bag.

Why do you need high-beans on the highway??
    Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    QFT.

10 Characters
    One obviously common reason would be that the greater rate of travel requires a longer visual range to maintain adequate reaction times. In other words if you're going faster the high beams make it easier to see farther when that 12 point jumps out into the road.

Oh, just checked, you're in Philadelphia; most of the rest of the state doesn't have lighted highways. We don't like bright lights everywhere because then you can't see the stars.

Going to have to agree with you. I drive highways all the time and they're just as dark as any other road. With the increased speed the high beams also let you see hazards sooner and react faster.

I'd rather see that deer a second or two faster and have a better chance of advoiding it.

And trust me, I know a thing or two about animals in your headlights.

(Philadelphia County)

How about this...

if you are driving on a road, and its so dangerous that you MUST turn your high-beams on too see if you are about to hit something...
    how about you

SLOW THE F DOWN!!!!!

ALSO!
    Isn't it worse to flash a deer with high-beams? Doesn't that make them freeze, or jump straight at you?? Isn't that the consensus?
    Last edited by LorDiego01; November 7th, 2008 at 07:28 PM.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Chester County)

Where I live if you solely use low beams on the highway at night, you run the risk of making a ten point buck a hood ornament. I've had deer haul ass across the highway many a time and the quicker I can spot one, the better the chance that he makes it across alive and I can avoid having to dial 911 for the ambulance.

Common courtesy is that you don't use high beams when oncoming traffic is approaching and this holds true for me even on divided highways, unless the median is wide enough or high enough to block the light to approaching traffic. The deer threat around here is greatest this time of year when some animals are still rutting so I use them constantly while on the highway.

One time I was deer spotting on a back road and an approaching car wouldn't turn off his high beams, so I flashed mine and he still didn't turn his off. A quick flash of a quarter million candle power in his face from the lamp in my hand quickly persuaded him to knock them off. I admit to this being a stupid move now, but that was over 20 years ago when I was young and I thought it was funny then....
    Last edited by Poonie; November 7th, 2008 at 08:07 PM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    How about this...

if you are driving on a road, and its so dangerous that you MUST turn your high-beams on too see if you are about to hit something...
    how about you

SLOW THE F DOWN!!!!!

ALSO!
    Isn't it worse to flash a deer with high-beams? Doesn't that make them freeze, or jump straight at you?? Isn't that the consensus?
    Nope. It's not about speed. You should use the best tool for the job whenever possible. The best tool for lighting up a dark road are your high beams.

(Lawrence County)

How exactly is this firearm related? This is what the lounge is for.

Default Re: Lights are on - no one's "home"...

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    The one that gets me, are the morons who drive around the CITY, on cloudless, full moon nights, even - under the thousands of city arc lights - and have their fog lights ON!

WTF?!?! What, are these MOUTH-BREATHERS thinking?!?!

When MY window's down, I'll yell at them - 'TURN OFF YOUR FOG LAMPS, DUMBASS! THE ONLY "FOG" OUT HERE, IS BETWEEN YOUR EARS...

Bob
    A lot of "car guys" drive everywhere with the fog lights on for the cool looks and to be more noticeable to other car guys. I see this in the city all the time and I suppose they think its like an invitation to race.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast