Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Convince me to "pull the trigger" on reloading *update 1 on first page*

Well, been wanting to reload for quite some time. But I could never justify dropping $90 through midway for the lee classic setup.

I took some christmas money, and dropped it into the bank. Thinking, I was going to just go and order the kit. Unfortunately, it is now around $110 for the set. Not a huge price increase. However, I hate spending money.

I know that reloading will give me a better understanding of ammunition, and make me a better shooter because of it. I also know, I "can" save some money for it.

I just need some encouragement from those who have been doing it, to make me just click the little button and have the gear sent out.

Update

The first of a few packages arrived for me today. A nice, new, bullet puller. Thought I would give it a try, and make sure I knew how hard to whack it. Grabbed a .45 from my stash, and went outside with a block of wood.

Wow, I had no idea how little powder is in a .45, and it is extremely easy to pull the round. The brass will get "deprimed", and put into the barrel to load back up. The bullet will face the same fate. The powder, just for safety sake will be disposed of. Rather not risk having contaminated it.

Next package will more than likely be my calipers.
    Last edited by Connal; February 1st, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Convince me to "pull the trigger" on reloading

Im in the same boat, but more looking for advice to setup a budget kit will everything I will need to get started with 9mm and .45 and how much am I looking to spend?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Im in the same boat, but more looking for advice to setup a budget kit will everything I will need to get started with 9mm and .45 and how much am I looking to spend?
    Honestly, for a budget. Lee anniversary breech setup. $110 for the press, scale, and tools. All you would really need are components, a bullet puller, caliper if you chose. Then of course dies. Say about $50 for two sets. $110 for the kit. $15 for the puller, $20 for the caliper.

Not including components, ballpark of $175-$200. And I give the ballpark, because you don't "need" a puller. And you don't "need" the caliper.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Well, been wanting to reload for quite some time. But I could never justify dropping $90 through midway for the lee classic setup.

I took some christmas money, and dropped it into the bank. Thinking, I was going to just go and order the kit. Unfortunately, it is now around $110 for the set. Not a huge price increase. However, I hate spending money.

I know that reloading will give me a better understanding of ammunition, and make me a better shooter because of it. I also know, I "can" save some money for it.

I just need some encouragement from those who have been doing it, to make me just click the little button and have the gear sent out.
    You can do it!!

If you buy a Lee kit. You might want to buy a digital scale also (more accurate). Cause the LEE scale is not that accurate IMO. I only load .45, and havent been doing it that long. I love it though. Gets me away from the wife and kid. Its a win win
    Here is where I got my Lee Deluxe Kit...http://www.titanreloading.com/

This was the best price I could find.
    Last edited by coble; January 4th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
    I AM A PROFESSIONAL. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Honestly, for a budget. Lee anniversary breech setup. $110 for the press, scale, and tools. All you would really need are components, a bullet puller, caliper if you chose. Then of course dies. Say about $50 for two sets. $110 for the kit. $15 for the puller, $20 for the caliper.

Not including components, ballpark of $175-$200. And I give the ballpark, because you don't "need" a puller. And you don't "need" the caliper.
    Thanks, that is the type of info i was looking for, seems like you done quite more research than I have...I have been contemplating if it will be worth it for me or not, and haven't really had the time to look into it to much...

Would i need a case length gage

Is this the one you were referring to, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121...tage-press-kit
    Last edited by Svickstc; January 4th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.

(Beaver County)

Connal you need exta time to reload. If you have spare time on your hands then DO IT. If you like being a vegetable on your couch on Sunday afternoon or any other given night then fuggeta bout it. I load approx 20k rounds a year. I spend at least 15 hrs a week working on reloading. It's my time to relax and be away from everyone. Best 2 or 3 hrs a day I spend w/o being bothered by anyone. you definately don't want to be interupted while reloading.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Thanks, that is the type of info i was looking for, seems like you done quite more research than I have...I have been contemplating if it will be worth it for me or not, and haven't really had the time to look into it to much...

Would i need a case length gage

Is this the one you were referring to, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121...tage-press-kit
    Think of it this way. Before I spend more than a few dollars on anything aside from bills. I do at least a month of research. I've still been thinking about a stevens 200 in .223, and that has been for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    Connal you need exta time to reload. If you have spare time on your hands then DO IT. If you like being a vegetable on your couch on Sunday afternoon or any other given night then fuggeta bout it. I load approx 20k rounds a year. I spend at least 15 hrs a week working on reloading. It's my time to relax and be away from everyone. Best 2 or 3 hrs a day I spend w/o being bothered by anyone. you definately don't want to be interupted while reloading.
    I have nothing but time. I don't have cable, and I only work about 45 hours a week. I'm actually looking into building a "work bench" for reloads. Just don't know where to put it yet. Basement, or attic.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal;
    I'm actually looking into building a "work bench" for reloads. Just don't know where to put it yet. Basement, or attic.
    I have mine in the basement on a work bench that is mounted to the block wall it's up against. Your best place is lowest humidity with constant temps. My basement is well ventilated with heat and a/c. Plus it has the most room. Storage space is key.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Have to disagree a little with the above post.
    You do need calipers and a puller.
    I have been reloading for over 20 years and use the calipers everytime and the puller maybe every other time if not every.

And reloading is like everything else, you get what you pay for.
    Take some time and read some post.
    You have RED, Blue, Green ect all will give the same results.
    IMHO for the hobbyist once in a while Lee or RCBS.
    Like to shoot often maybe even more then RED or Blue.
    Now Blue is top of the line, if you go 650 or 1050 models, but the down side is $$$ it is not cheap. Nothing about it is.
    Red I think is the middle of the road. Has all the bells and whisles, can keep up with the 650. Cost not to bad compaied to Lee and RCBS, all you will need for change over is dies and shell plate.

Take some time read and shop around.

(Berks County)

First let me say that reloading can be as addicting as firearms themselves. It is worth it to me because my bolt guns are on a very specific diet. Can it be done on a budget? yes, sure it can, will you be satisfied? Only you can answer that question.

When I made the decision to start I went with a Hornaday LNP (the only true auto indexing) progressive loader. I heard a lot of talk about starting on "easier" rounds and blah, blah, blah. The best piece of advice I can give you in link up with some one from the forum that is willing to speak a day and show you how the in's and out's.

As far as dies go I use them all, Hornaday, Lee, etc..

Good luck and if I can help in any way shoot me a PM!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast