Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida CCW

(Philadelphia County)

Default Florida CCW

I am in the process of appealing a BS denial for a LTCF in Philly. So in the mean time I applied for a Florida CCW. Called to check the status today and it has been issued in less then 2 weeks. During this process I also have been emailing the Judiciary and Bryan Lentz about HB 2536. His office actually conceeded that the system in Philly failed me.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Florida CCW

Quote Originally Posted by s&wpat View Post
    I am in the process of appealing a BS denial for a LTCF in Philly. So in the mean time I applied for a Florida CCW. Called to check the status today and it has been issued in less then 2 weeks. During this process I also have been emailing the Judiciary and Bryan Lentz about HB 2536. His office actually conceeded that the system in Philly failed me.
    What was the reason for the denial?

(Philadelphia County)

They said I lied about my arrest history which is 100% false. I informed them of 2 incidents with the law in my life. I am 29 now and when I was 19 I had a DUI and given ARD which would expunge it from my record and when I was 18 I was at a party that got broke up by the police and cited for drinking. Other then that there has been no legal issue in the last 10 years. Basically I was doing what just about every 18-19 year old does but I got caught and paid the price.

Basically I was doing what just about every 18-19 year old does but I got caught and paid the price.
    I think (and hope) a lot of people would disagree that getting arrested for a DUI at 19 is "what every 18-19 year old does", and I can't help but think that a substance abuse arrest would possibly disqualify you from getting a LTCF in any county, not just Philly. That being said, if they asked for your arrest history and not a conviction history and you left out the DUI then you were in fact lying on the paperwork and should be denied.

I don't mean to be making any judgments against you, and I don't think 1 incident when you were 19 should make or break the rest of your life, but the fact that you were able to quite easily get a Florida permit when you were rightfully denied by PA just gives more evidence to the "Florida Loophole".

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I think (and hope) a lot of people would disagree that getting arrested for a DUI at 19 is "what every 18-19 year old does", and I can't help but think that a substance abuse arrest would possibly disqualify you from getting a LTCF in any county, not just Philly. That being said, if they asked for your arrest history and not a conviction history and you left out the DUI then you were in fact lying on the paperwork and should be denied.

I don't mean to be making any judgments against you, and I don't think 1 incident when you were 19 should make or break the rest of your life, but the fact that you were able to quite easily get a Florida permit when you were rightfully denied by PA just gives more evidence to the "Florida Loophole".
    1. The application asks about "convictions", not "arrests".

2. I have no intention of getting into a discussion about DUIs, who gets them, how many get them, the legality of enforcement or the appropriateness of BAL as proof. A normal DUI conviction does not include a sentence of more than one year, and people with a DUI are not prohibited from getting a LTCF. In any event, an ARD is not a conviction, correct?

3. Your last sentence indicates that the OP was rightfully denied in PA. All evidence points to the contrary.
    Last edited by farmplinker; June 28th, 2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: shortened

(Jefferson County)

If the OP received an judicial or statutory expungement of records, then he was in deed allowed to say he was never arrest or convicted(for the expunged charges/records).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If the OP received an judicial or statutory expungement of records, then he was in deed allowed to say he was never arrest or convicted(for the expunged charges/records).
    In Philadelphia, they interview you, ask you if you have ever been arrested INCLUDING any juvenile arrests or that have been expunged.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post

Underage drinking and a DUI 10 years ago is not cause for denial. I got a DUI in 2001 and have had no problem getting/renewing my LTCF.

IIRC, going through an ARD program does not = conviction of a crime. (I have been wrong before though)

The OP stated that he disclosed the DUI on his application and shouldn't have been denied. IF everything went as the OP described, the PPD is not following the law and forcing him to go the Florida CCW route. I see no "Loophole" here.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not looking to make this a moral conversation but I don't condone drinking and driving. I was young and dumb and paid the price. My only reason for posting is because I was honest about the DUI with PPD. They knew about the 2 incidents. Neither of which is cause for denial. The other thing is in my business I have to be state licensed. Arrest history and "Character" do factor into that and it has never been a problem.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    In Philadelphia, they interview you, ask you if you have ever been arrested INCLUDING any juvenile arrests or that have been expunged.
    And what, do you think that you have to actually tell them about that?

There is NO duty imposed on an applicant to answer ANY interview questions BY LAW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast