Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New to guns, looking for advice

My wife and I were interested in buying a gun for home protection. Neither of us know much about guns, so excuse our ignorance. I am former military, but have only handled a 9mm in boot camp.

I wanted to get your suggestions on what type of gun you recommend for home protection.

I am in the Pittsburgh area(North Hills) and would also welcome any suggestions on where to buy as well as if there are any gun ranges in the area.

Thanks.

Dan

(Mercer County)

Default Re: New to guns, looking for advice

I recommend getting a Glock 19, a .22 pistol, and most importantly, training in how to effectively use it.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to PAFOA and to the greater firearms community.

I would say there is no one best firearm for home defense. It will come down to what fits you the best and how much resources you are willing to learn how to shoot it well.

Semi-auto pistols (such as the M9 you used in Basic) are popular. Most full size types are easy to handle for men and women. However there is a bit more to learn with them when it comes to operation and managing stoppages.

Revolvers are simpler and more reliable because of their less complex design. However they hold less rounds and cannot be reloaded as easy.

I don't have much personal experience with shotguns but they can be a good choice for home defense as well. Pump shotguns have a very reliable design and can be handled by virtually anyone.

Big Bucks sports shop is probably closest. They don't have the best prices though. Bravermans has decent prices although they are in a crappy part of town, go during the day.

I belong to the Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club. It's a bit of a drive but well worth it given the facilities. I live in the North Hills and its the only place I shoot.

http://www.pmsconline.com/

They offer a basic pistol class. But I'd have to look into if they can provide a pistol.

A&S Indoor Range offers firearms rentals but they can be expensive. Good to get your feet wet, but once you buy a firearm joining a club will be much less expensive.

DO NOT! Listen to what salesman tell you about a defensive firearm. They are trying to make a sale plain and simple. Try some firearms out by holding them first and hopefully shooting them.

My personal home defense firearms are a S&W M&P 40 semi-auto pistol, a Colt AR15 Rifle. I carry a Subcompact Ruger LCP and will be soon augment that with a single stack compact Kahr CW9.

Also a firearm is only part of the equations. You should dedicate time and resources to training, practice and mindset.
    Last edited by QuackXP; July 24th, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum! There's lots of good choices for home defense, and much of it comes down to personal preference. You'll want a reliable gun in an appropriate caliber that feels good in your hands. Best thing to do is get out and try different guns. I'm up north too. If you'd like to get together, I could bring a few good choices for you to try, either at PMSC or the public range in Wexford. I'll shoot you a PM.

(Allegheny County)

Training is the most important part, and not just range time. A lot of people debate about caliber, and I personally think it is ridiculous as no one likes to be shot. Training, your comfort and knowledge of the firearm is paramount compared to caliber. Personally I have a 9mm next to my bed and an AR ready to roll. Don't let someone fool you into believing that racking a shotgun will scare someone off, because it won't (maybe the punk ass teenage kid down the block). I would head to a range (ARS in Youngwood is my go to for public range) and try out a couple of their pistols if that is what you want to go with. Make sure you AND your wife are comfortable with the firearm. I would most certainly avoid a revolved as you have less rounds and can't reload efficiently.

As for where to buy, I really like Ace, have never had a bad experience there, or Braverman, good guys over there as well.

(Allegheny County)

Ace is in Washington, PA and Braverman in Wilkinsburg, you might need a fireteam to get into Braverman's though!

(Washington County)

Check out our web site gandcenterprisesporting.com, I have a blog for home defense What ever firearm you decide to go with training and practice are key My suggestion tfor home defense is usually a pump Shotgun or the taurus judge . Chances of missing are small and you can a alternate between shot shell and 45 lc with th judge We are located in Washington PA.
    Last edited by cwhirlow; July 25th, 2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added text

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I don't think it's a good idea to tell people it's hard to miss with a shotgun. Shooting at close range, that pattern is pretty darn small. Couple that with a "can't miss" attitude, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea to tell people it's hard to miss with a shotgun. Shooting at close range, that pattern is pretty darn small. Couple that with a "can't miss" attitude, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
    +1 assuming you are using buckshot. You are only going to get a spread of a few inches at distances you would shoot indoors.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

Some shops that are sorta close to you.

The Shooters Bench Russelton/West Deer
    A-AdvantageEtna
    Island FirearmsNeville Island

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast