Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Berkheimer

Default Re: Berkheimer

i never had major problems with them, think i had to pay them an amount under $5 once. filing online takes minutes, i do it at the absolute last minute, months after my regular filing.

it's just your government raping you 3 ways from sunday and empowering a private corp. with authority to hold you down while they do it.
    stroud twp local services, stroud twp local income, pa state ui, pa state income, medicare, SS, fed income. all out of my pay.
    then there is the property taxes: twp tax for middle smithfield, the county tax for monroe and the trojan elephant filled with corruption and theft, monroe county school tax.
    then the dam repair alcohol tax, "fix the roads" fuel tax.... on and on.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Chester County)

Wow, lots of hate in this thread.

Most local municipalities use collection firms like Berkheimer to collect their taxes. And I never had any problems with them when they were collecting for my Township in Chester County. They used to send me (annoying) quarterly “bills” to prepay my taxes, which I ignored because I’m not liable for payment until April 15th. Other than that, no issues with Berkheimer.

As has been mentioned, it’s important to make sure your employer is deducting the designated percentage* from your paystub. If not you’ll owe on April 15th.

*all municipalities are different and the tax liability varies.

Now, West Brandywine Township where I live uses Keystone Collections for our local taxes. Their website is very efficient and easy to use.

https://www.keystonecollects.com/

(Wayne County)

I had to dealwith them for over 20 years as an employer and employee...Pains in the rear end...
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Wow, lots of hate in this thread.
    America has a history with taxes, we tinted a habor brown over a $0.03/lb tax.

[iirc tea is still around $1/lb as it was from what i could find and they levvied a 3% tax on it.]

(Westmoreland County)

The whole issue with Berkheimer is the fact that a "local" tax collector isn't necessary. The (usually) 1% income tax is split between the local School District, and the township\municipality. The tax has been around forever and use to be collected by a million different local tax collectors.

Now, how does an outfit like Berkheimer even know you owe local taxes and also may know what school district you owe them to? Because when you file your Pa. State income tax form, you tell the State what school district you belong to....via the "School Code" you enter.

Then.....Berkheimer (as the old local tax collectors use to do) obtains the data from the State and compares that to what you filed (if you filed) and sends you a bill if it's different. No refund if you paid more than they see on the State data.

The whole cost of the collectors could be completely wiped out....and more local $$$ would go to the school and township if the State simply added the 1% on the PA-40. and then paid that over to the local schools.

The whole thing is costing millions of dollars so a few guys at Berkheimer can make a nice living.......doing very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    The whole thing is costing millions of dollars so a few guys at Berkheimer can make a nice living.......doing very little.
    When whatever tax act was passed to change this and I was informed my county would be using Berkheimer, my first reaction was....I wonder how much Berkheimer lobbied to get this change.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    When whatever tax act was passed to change this and I was informed my county would be using Berkheimer, my first reaction was....I wonder how much Berkheimer lobbied to get this change.
    Wait, let me get this straight... you guys are suggesting that the government can collect and process taxes more cheaply and efficiently than a contracting firm? Do you realize how silly that sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Wait, let me get this straight... you guys are suggesting that the government can collect and process taxes more cheaply and efficiently than a contracting firm? Do you realize how silly that sounds?
    Ordinarily no, but I have to wonder. I would like to see the stats on it. Especially for rural counties.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    It's the easiest of all returns to do. It's one, two sided page and you only fill in about four lines on it, sign it and send your W-2 with it.
    Last few years I have done it online. Take my state return, transfer the numbers and get the collected taxes figure off the W2s, then there is nothing to send in.

The whole issue with Berkheimer is the fact that a "local" tax collector isn't necessary. The (usually) 1% income tax is split between the local School District, and the township\municipality. The tax has been around forever and use to be collected by a million different local tax collectors.

Now, how does an outfit like Berkheimer even know you owe local taxes and also may know what school district you owe them to? Because when you file your Pa. State income tax form, you tell the State what school district you belong to....via the "School Code" you enter.

Then.....Berkheimer (as the old local tax collectors use to do) obtains the data from the State and compares that to what you filed (if you filed) and sends you a bill if it's different. No refund if you paid more than they see on the State data.

The whole cost of the collectors could be completely wiped out....and more local $$$ would go to the school and township if the State simply added the 1% on the PA-40. and then paid that over to the local schools.

TL: DR

Government.

lose $11B in profit to fight $5B in a tyranny that burns through trillions a year. didn't they say the cost of the wall was scaled/equivilant to deciding to buy a dinner at a resturant? it's a statistical write off. a rounding error at the scale the behemoth works at.
    the pentagon alone can't account for $21T over X number of years and even if we did "audit the fed" i'm not sure anyone would be up to the task. it certainly wouldn't be done at a micro level, analyzing every receipt.

so my point, government wasting money? bah, never!
    they should have to produce a report showing the tax collected by these agencies and the cost of using them. just like every school district should have to publish expense reports especially when they try to raise our taxes claiming they have no money yet are sitting on a slush fund like stroudsburg was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast