Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Carrying through small stretch Of Maryland on I81

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Not helpful!
    Pay no attention to the walleye smartass.

Congrats on having too many guns to fit in the truck!
    Trailer and a lock seems like a smart moving expense.

I would recommend a very low profile unpacking guns into an apartment.
    Apartments suck for burglaries.

Welcome to PA and PAFOA!
    Every party has a pooper.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    Where are you traveling TO?

You'll be on 81 for all of 8 minutes...
    It's 12 miles. If you plan on making it thru in 8 minutes, expect to have a (minimum) 20-30 minute conversation with Officer Friendly. If you're in possession of firearms (especially a trailer-full) during that, the conversation could stretch out to 5-10 years.

Just sayin'...

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Not wanting to increase your worries any more, But I do recall reading on a few internet firearms forums that the Maryland State Troopers actively profile ( fishing ?) out of state vehicles with gun related stickers, NRA, bolt face logos, protected by S&W ect......
    I think some of them assume anybody with PA plates is carrying a gun. My cars are absolutely void of any bumper stickers or emblems other than a Bat-Signal front license plate, plus I drive police-type cars. I was coming off a freeway and a Maryland State Trooper followed me up the ramp. I watched him in my rear view mirror repeatedly looking down and to the right like he was running my plates on a computer to see if he could find an excuse to stop me, because I was following the traffic laws to the letter. I just kept right on going to where I was going and never got stopped, but I am a little bothered by an agent of the People's Republic of Maryland running my plates just for giggles and an excuse to pull me over when he had no probable cause.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    It's 12 miles. If you plan on making it thru in 8 minutes, expect to have a (minimum) 20-30 minute conversation with Officer Friendly. If you're in possession of firearms (especially a trailer-full) during that, the conversation could stretch out to 5-10 years.

Just sayin'...
    Yes, they like to hide out in the grassy/wooded median in the reduced speed limit area around Halfway Blvd.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by punxsutawneypete View Post
    I think some of them assume anybody with PA plates is carrying a gun. My cars are absolutely void of any bumper stickers or emblems other than a Bat-Signal front license plate, plus I drive police-type cars. I was coming off a freeway and a Maryland State Trooper followed me up the ramp. I watched him in my rear view mirror repeatedly looking down and to the right like he was running my plates on a computer to see if he could find an excuse to stop me, because I was following the traffic laws to the letter. I just kept right on going to where I was going and never got stopped, but I am a little bothered by an agent of the People's Republic of Maryland running my plates just for giggles and an excuse to pull me over when he had no probable cause.
    No offense, but I think you're being a little paranoid. I've driven in and out of MD with my PA-licensed car at least 200 times in the last decade, and have never been pulled over for anything. MD is a small state, with lots and lots of PA and VA cars driving around in it. The MD cops can't possible be so free of duties to find pull cars over because they somehow suspect that the drivers might be the one out of a hundred that have a carry license and are actually carrying.

Having said that, I agree with you about bumper and window stickers. I do not advertise that I belong to the NRA, GOA or support the 2nd amendment... or anything else, for that matter. No stickers on my car at all.

(Berks County)

My daughter lives in Maryland, I drive through there quite frequently and do so with a motorhome as well. Never had an issue and never had a bother from State Police or their Sheriff officers.

A friend cough cough of mine, drove to Florida to buy a vehicle. He was carrying $12,000 in cash. Said friend has family in baltimore, so he killed two birds with one stone and took 95 south after a brief visit to B'more. His route took him around I495 which is the D.C. beltway. He was armed since he had such a large amount of money, just to be sure. He drove the speed limit and obeyed all traffic laws.
    Oddly enough, he made it there and back and some say he posts on the internet to this day.

Just sayin.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    A friend cough cough of mine, drove to Florida to buy a vehicle. He was carrying $12,000 in cash. Said friend has family in baltimore, so he killed two birds with one stone and took 95 south after a brief visit to B'more. His route took him around I495 which is the D.C. beltway. He was armed since he had such a large amount of money, just to be sure. He drove the speed limit and obeyed all traffic laws.
    Oddly enough, he made it there and back and some say he posts on the internet to this day.

Just sayin.
    I'd be ready to wager that the number of folks with out of state plates who drive through MD with no issues even if carrying firearms is well into the 99%+ range. If they don't drive like maniacs, 99.9%+

OTOH, I'd still not risk it because the likely consequences if you "hit the lottery" aren't good. I'll take the extra time and miles to skip MD. If for some reason I can't imagine I HAD to transit MD with firearms, I'd be more FOPA than FOPA ever even imagined.

Mind you, individual factors like a car emblazoned with "from my cold dead hands" type stickers could change your risk profile.
    DGAF

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by farmplinker View Post
    No offense, but I think you're being a little paranoid.
    More than a little.

I've been stopped (recently) in Maryland and firearms were never even brought up. I was trying to use a wireless charger for my cell phone, and it wouldn't sit on the charger, so I was holding it, to keep in charging. Got pulled over for "Using a hand-held cell phone"....got warned not to to that in the nanny state, and sent on my way.

Also recently made 2 trips through with a friend, for an out of state match. I think we had a combination of 5 or 6 guns on the way down, and 7 or 8 (each won one at the match woohoo) on the way back. Rifles and handguns. All in the bed of truck, properly locked up. Cruised with the flow of traffic and never gave anything a second thought.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Do what you want about the drive through MD, but be careful in the apartment.

I would go to an appliance store and get a discarded refrigerator box. Wrap it around your safe to avoid scratches in the move and any prying eyes during the unload. I would also carry your guns into the apartment in plain brown boxes rather than gun cases. When I lived in an apartment I always felt that I was going to be robbed of my guns at any moment....Especially suspicious of the maintenance crew....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast