Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Question for those who open carry

Before this turns into a "Philly" thing or police thing, let me preface the situation with, I AM NOT ANTI-OC. I do, however, know and accept that it won't work everywhere.

I would like to ask a hypothetical question. Although, we have the responsibility to fight for our 2A rights, I have to ask the following. Since we know the law and that a police officer doesn't have the right to ask for an LTCF, or even identification if you are OC'ing. How do we as responsible citizens prevent the dirtbag, wrongdoer from using that loophole to walk around armed too. Not that it is anyone, but the LEO's problem, I would hate to think that I am doing something to allow a scumbag to walk the street armed, and slmost unfettered.

I am sure someone is going to read into this wrong because of my name or whatever!

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Question for those who open carry

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    How do we as responsible citizens prevent the dirtbag, wrongdoer from using that loophole to walk around armed too.
    Easy answer: we don't. It's simply the cost of liberty.

I could care less if a felon or serial killer walks around all day openly carrying a firearm. I do have an issue if they use it in an improper manner, just as I would if someone with no previous criminal record made the same choice.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

"scumbags" have rights too. pretty much anyone that can own a gun has the right to open carry it

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    "scumbags" have rights too. pretty much anyone that can own a gun has the right to open carry it
    My bad, let me be clear, I am talking about the person who would normally be prohibited, but is open carrying because he can "hide in plain sight"

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Jefferson County)

Without the foreknowledge that the individual is a dirtbag there is nothing that we can do. A dirtbag could be concealing a gun just the same and one would never know. I at least have a little more respect for a dirtbag that carries openly. I'm not condoning the act of a prohibited person carrying, or someone with ill intent, but carrying openly does serve as warning in a gentlemanly fashion.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Tioga County)

Sadly the fault lies with the "justice" system. A good many of those "scumbags" should be doing time. If you are what your non -de- plume suggests, you knew that already.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Dauphin County)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

If righteous people bore arms with regularity, it would not be long before the criminal might be incapacitated in the course of self-defense lest the threat under these new conditions be diminished altogether.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Without the foreknowledge that the individual is a dirtbag there is nothing that we can do. A dirtbag could be concealing a gun just the same and one would never know. I at least have a little more respect for a dirtbag that carries openly. I'm not condoning the act of a prohibited person carrying, or someone with ill intent, but carrying openly does serve as warning in a gentlemanly fashion.
    You're correct, and even though I know there is little we could do without trampling on the rights of the law-abiding citizen, it still bothers me as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Sadly the fault lies with the "justice" system. A good many of those "scumbags" should be doing time. If you are what your non -de- plume suggests, you knew that already.
    I agree wholeheartedly, but we can't seem to fix that either

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

It's a reasonable question, but I would guess that virtually all prohibited persons are not open carrying and that's the last thing they'd do. I think you are inventing a problem.
    The real problem is that these people are even out of jail and on the street, armed or not.
    It's not a new problem and we all know that society is not willing to do anything about it or it would have been done 50 years ago.
    Short answer: just suck it up!

(Monroe County)

There is nothing we can do. According to another user at the BBQ yesterday there are already known criminals OC'ing in virginia.

As some pointed out, that's the price of liberty. Of course, if the criminals are doing it, then even more citizens should do it. Eventually, the criminals won't be able to commit a crime because everyone will be carrying
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast