Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Slow Cylinder?

(Allegheny County)

Default Slow Cylinder?

Alright so I was looking at both of my revolvers the other day. I opened the actions and went to spin the cylinder, I noticed it didnt spin fast, it was actually quite slow. Now ive seen many videos on youtube where guys spin their cylinders and they spin faster and effortlessly. Now im wondering if I should disassemble them and clean them out and apply some lubrication. For the lube im thinking of using would be Tetra Gun Grease, Weapon sheild, or the trusty old Hopped Gun Oil. What would be the best out of those lubricants?? Thanks everyone!
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Slow Cylinder?

The only concern about free-wheel'n is to lower the drag on the trigger pull. So long as the trigger pull isn't gawd awful I'd only put some gun oil in there. If they have a gritty spin, then I'd disassemble them and clean them out, then oil them up.

All I use is standard gun oil and sometimes household 3-in-1 oil if I cant find my gun oil.

And, some wheels are going to be slower spinning due to tighter tolerances between the parts - so there may not be an issue at all.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I disassembled them and did a very thorough cleaning with some Breakfree CLP I had laying around. It was the first time I really ever used the stuff and WOW-- Why havent I been using this all along? after I CLP'd the entire thing I reassembled it and wow did that cylinder spin like silk. All it needed was a nice cleaning and lubing and it was good to go. I did get a lotttt of gunked up carbon out of there too
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    I disassembled them and did a very thorough cleaning with some Breakfree CLP I had laying around. It was the first time I really ever used the stuff and WOW-- Why havent I been using this all along? after I CLP'd the entire thing I reassembled it and wow did that cylinder spin like silk. All it needed was a nice cleaning and lubing and it was good to go. I did get a lotttt of gunked up carbon out of there too
    Well you beat me to it.
    You did what needed to be done.
    Depending on use every few years do it.
    True Respect is earned never given.

I find the smell of Breakfree to be totally repulsive. While I'm not one of the folks who gets wood at the smell of Hoppes, at least it doesn't make me gag.

(Bucks County)

Just curious, why are you spinning the cylinder anyway?

-Zach