Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Erie County)

Default Re: If you "can shoot more" via reloading, isn't that saving money?

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post

A box of $100 is now averaging around $35, more or less.

Where can I purchase one of these boxes, and is there a limit on the number of boxes?!!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Where can I purchase one of these boxes, and is there a limit on the number of boxes?!!?
    North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82
    What does this mean? I think that if you reload, now is the time to start buying components in bulk, while prices are still good, and pay attention to the market. I've been considering getting my own reloading setup, after the holidays, just for .45ACP, and casting my own bullets. Hopefully, prices will hold long enough to buy in bulk.
    Yeah, I figure even I go slow and don't really start till I move to a house with a garage...which by default will be "The Armory" (really I think I'm getting a sign made with that to hang up lol) the best thing to do might be get brass and maybe just do depriming and cleaning to practice.

Part of the issue is storing the powder and primers, since I lease and my dad (one of my bigger firearms supporters) doesn't want it stored around his soon to be granddaughter...I'm trying to get to be able to store it at my parents house. lol
    Last edited by gfanikf; December 14th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

(Venango County)

Speaking numerically, round for round, you will save money. However, if you shoot more rounds, you might not be.

Now, then you can factor in handloads for accuracy out of a .223, or a .308, compared to match grade ammo that you might not get as good of results from. That in itself is a whole different story.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Time spent/wasted reloading is often ignored. It eats a lot of time, from looking for the lost brass from auto-ejectors, to cleaning, examining, prepping, take down; it all adds up. Are you a busy kind of guy?

Some calibers better lend themselves to reloading- revolvers don't eject brass. Rifle rounds cost more resulting in a greater return/savings. Some calibers are best reloaded for (when is the last time you saw .32 s&w long in the store? or 9x25 Dillon? or even .41 mag?)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    Time spent/wasted reloading is often ignored. It eats a lot of time, from looking for the lost brass from auto-ejectors, to cleaning, examining, prepping, take down; it all adds up. Are you a busy kind of guy?
    Yes and no. During the weekdays yes, but I can easily spend a night goofing around playing the computer or something else. I also don't need a lot of sleep.

However, with a kid on the way. Time is going to be a premium (luckily with have a lot of involved family in the area), but it might be good for when I want to do gun stuff, but I can't go to the range, even if I only do 20 to 50 bullets a night.

Some calibers better lend themselves to reloading- revolvers don't eject brass. Rifle rounds cost more resulting in a greater return/savings. Some calibers are best reloaded for (when is the last time you saw .32 s&w long in the store? or 9x25 Dillon? or even .41 mag?)
    Well one thing is I'm thinking and looking into rifles, so I figure getting started on pistols, since I love 45ACP is a good start. 9MM is generally cheap, but 45ACP (despite being a mag only half the size of a 92FS) always seems to go faster!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    North Korea.

Yeah, I figure even I go slow and don't really start till I move to a house with a garage...which by default will be "The Armory" (really I think I'm getting a sign made with that to hang up lol) the best thing to do might be get brass and maybe just do depriming and cleaning to practice.

Part of the issue is storing the powder and primers, since I lease and my dad (one of my bigger firearms supporters) doesn't want it stored around his soon to be granddaughter...I'm trying to get to be able to store it at my parents house. lol
    Why? Gunpowder and primers are perfectly safe to store in the house, as long as you don't store them inside your oven, on top of your stove, or in the furnace. My neighbor keeps his in his kitchen, in a cabinet next to the fridge. I'd be more worried about storing lead where a kid can get to it, honestly.

(Montgomery County)

Why? Gunpowder and primers are perfectly safe to store in the house, as long as you don't store them inside your oven, on top of your stove, or in the furnace. My neighbor keeps his in his kitchen, in a cabinet next to the fridge.
    Well it's more due to the fact that regardless of how stable it is, if something where to happen, my landlord could use storing gunpowder against me. Also it is gunpowder and like guns for some, there is a barrier to keeping that in the house. I think he'd most likely want to just see how it can be easily it can be safely stored and inert except for fire. I'm trying to find some common household items that are more dangerous that people normally store. I tried lawnmower gas, but (being a lawyer too) correctly pointed out its in the garage. Basement which would make a great place to reload (as it has a built in bar table setup (it's never been used). It's just might not be good to store though. Actually my mom might be the bigger issue..though she is the one who told me and my dad about the Oaks Show and coupon this weekend, so anythings possible.

Shame I can't store them in a shed attached to my house (I figure extreme cold could be very bad).

I'd be more worried about storing lead where a kid can get to it, honestly.
    Truthfully I'm only going to use the types of bullets that don't use lead or have it covered so essentially you can't get lead contact. I'm bothered enough with handling bullets and potential lead issues anyway, I'm not adding new potential exposure. lol

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    Well it's more due to the fact that regardless of how stable it is, if something where to happen, my landlord could use storing gunpowder against me. Also it is gunpowder and like guns for some, there is a barrier to keeping that in the house. I think he'd most likely want to just see how it can be easily it can be safely stored and inert except for fire. I'm trying to find some common household items that are more dangerous that people normally store. I tried lawnmower gas, but (being a lawyer too) correctly pointed out its in the garage. Basement which would make a great place to reload (as it has a built in bar table setup (it's never been used). It's just might not be good to store though. Actually my mom might be the bigger issue..though she is the one who told me and my dad about the Oaks Show and coupon this weekend, so anythings possible.

Shame I can't store them in a shed attached to my house (I figure extreme cold could be very bad).

Truthfully I'm only going to use the types of bullets that don't use lead or have it covered so essentially you can't get lead contact. I'm bothered enough with handling bullets and potential lead issues anyway, I'm not adding new potential exposure. lol
    Are you using solid copper or jacketed bullets? If so, you might be counteracting your efforts to save money. Lead is really not that big of a deal, as long as you wash your hands. I went shooting while I was pregnant; my own OB/GYN told me it was safe, as long as I washed my hands afterwards, and used breathing protection if I was shooting indoors. I didn't go that often, as it turned out, because I was pregnant through the winter, thankfully.

You won't absorb lead through casual contact with the skin, unless you plan on wearing lead lined clothing. But bullet handling isn't going to result in any measurable lead contamination. You've have to swallow an ounce or two before it had any effect, LOL. Just wash up when you're done, and you'll be fine. Trust me; I'm a woman, and we're never wrong, LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I find reloading to be relaxing, just like reading a book or going for a hike. So I don't count my time since I would be doing one of those other hobby things anyhow.
    I honestly wouldn't either. I mean it's like counting shooting as work!

Don't forget, we are talking smokeless powder here, not blackpowder. That's a whole 'nother ballgame. Smokeless burns, as long as the gases can escape, it's not going to cause a bang. Back when I was in Boy Scouts, I used to toss a baseball sized bag of smokeless (H870 for the old timers here) into the fire for special effects. No bang, just a big flare.
    Okay, I'll just add my fears came from the warning in the ABC book (same with lead mentioned below), I do know from reading that primers and fire equal a clusterSNAFU.

Moisture can be a bugaboo for opened cans of powder but for the most part, anyplace in your house where you are comfortable, the powder and primers would be comfortable. Just don't store them in a strongbox, it needs to be able to vent if a fire would start. The first seven years I reloaded, my stuff was in the basement of an old farmhouse. Cement floor, stone walls. NO problems.
    I wonder what about under the sink in the kitchen? I mean there is always the closest, but I'd prefer it not being high up. Truthfully I'd store it in the shed, but I have no clue how it would handle PA winters. Though the real issue would be during the summer. Same with Primers. Perhaps I can just pickup or make (yeah right) a small lockable cabinet to keep it in. That might help with placement.

Unless you are shooting indoors with poor ventilation, lead is not a problem. Wash your hands and forget about it.

Dale
    I try to always do that any and luckily Classic Pistol has a pretty decent ventilation system, so shooting isn't a huge concern.

Are you using solid copper or jacketed bullets? If so, you might be counteracting your efforts to save money. Lead is really not that big of a deal, as long as you wash your hands. I went shooting while I was pregnant; my own OB/GYN told me it was safe, as long as I washed my hands afterwards, and used breathing protection if I was shooting indoors. I didn't go that often, as it turned out, because I was pregnant through the winter, thankfully.

You won't absorb lead through casual contact with the skin, unless you plan on wearing lead lined clothing. But bullet handling isn't going to result in any measurable lead contamination. You've have to swallow an ounce or two before it had any effect, LOL. Just wash up when you're done, and you'll be fine. Trust me; I'm a woman, and we're never wrong, LOL.
    Okay, if that's the case, I guess gloves should be sufficient. It's my first kid I figure I'm allowed a little paranoia.

It's just they had a pretty large section on lead at the start of the ABC Reloading book on the issues of lead, so I swear it's not all self induced.

That said the Rainer Leadsafe ones seem to be competitive to the ones Kings Shooters supply sells. So if the cost differential is fairly small, I figure why not use those one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/592...00?cm_vc=TT021

On the bright side I did actually save more brass than I thought I did. ~25 rounds of 45 ACP and ~50 rounds of 9mm Luger. So I don't have any immediate need to get brass, which will save a little money.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

As a reloader, your biggest single source of entry of lead into your system is the RESIDUE FROM EXPENDED PRIMERS.

Actually, when you deprime or tumble fired cases, your greatest likelihood of coming into contact is with the dust, grit and residue from the priming compound. First, try to not breathe the dust from the tumbler. Those who suggest putting a used "dryer-sheet" into the tumbler are using that sheet to collect all the residue they can. There is actually a lot that which remains in the media and on the cases, so mollymahem's advice on cleanliness being next to godliness is spot-on. The stuff will wash off easily with soap (I use liquid dish-detergent) and water.

ETA : Trust me, too., I've NEVER had to stop and ask for directions.

Flash
    Last edited by Flash; December 15th, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast