Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default NH gun owner (family) to PA transfer---

Hello All,
    I told my friend I would check how this works and I think it's "FFL to FFL" but I wanted to make sure. My (friend) neighbor's BIL passed away 6 months ago and he had quite the collection leaving them behind with his wife in NH. My neighbor (PA resident) wants to buy 3 handguns from her. She is coming down for Thanksgiving and wanted to know if she could bring them to PA and the both of them go to an FFL in PA to make the transfer. At first I thought she could but now reading online and I'm not so sure it can be done this way.Is it FFL to FFL only for out of state. Please advise
    Last edited by mikelets456; October 17th, 2016 at 04:51 PM.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Franklin County)

Default Re: NH gun owner (family) to PA transfer---

She can.*

*She'll need to make sure she can/does legally transport/possess them while getting from A to B.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Also make sure that the gun shop you are using is willing to do the transfer in that fashion. I had a messed up experience in Maryland. The transferring gun shop in the People's Republic of Maryland would not do the transfer. Had to send the gun via FFL from Pa. to them. Regardless of the law, they wanted it in their books as FFL to FFL.

Some places just suck.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Hello All,
    I told my friend I would check how this works and I think it's "FFL to FFL" but I wanted to make sure. My (friend) neighbor's BIL passed away 6 months ago and he had quite the collection leaving them behind with his wife in NH. My neighbor (PA resident) wants to buy 3 handguns from her. She is coming down for Thanksgiving and wanted to know if she could bring them to PA and the both of them go to an FFL in PA to make the transfer. At first I thought she could but now reading online and I'm not so sure it can be done this way.Is it FFL to FFL only for out of state. Please advise
    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    She can.*

*She'll need to make sure she can/does legally transport/possess them while getting from A to B.
    So she is his sister? Not that it matters much, but like Big K said, check with the gunshop/FFL you would like to make the transfer. Legally for handguns they must be transferred thru a PA FFL since you are a PA resident. Legally there is no requirement that they go thru a FFL at her end, but some places may not accept them otherwise. Ask the question and let us know, thanks.

(Indiana County)

Yes, plenty of idiotic FFLs are turning up as of late who refuse to do private transfers, check first.

I almost think these asshats are closet liberals who don't like to see guns change hands...

There's a difference in "private transfers" between having both parties standing in the shop, and having the seller ship the package to the shop for the buyer to come pick up. When the seller is there in person, the FFL can get the needed info for the bound book. When the seller just drops it in a box and it shows up at the FFL's premises, there can be problems.

There's no option to write "just showed up one day" in the bound book for the acquisition data.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's a difference in "private transfers" between having both parties standing in the shop, and having the seller ship the package to the shop for the buyer to come pick up. When the seller is there in person, the FFL can get the needed info for the bound book. When the seller just drops it in a box and it shows up at the FFL's premises, there can be problems.

There's no option to write "just showed up one day" in the bound book for the acquisition data.
    Return address.
    Bound book says Name and Address or Name and license number if licensee.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 19547 View Post
    Also make sure that the gun shop you are using is willing to do the transfer in that fashion. I had a messed up experience in Maryland. The transferring gun shop in the People's Republic of Maryland would not do the transfer. Had to send the gun via FFL from Pa. to them. Regardless of the law, they wanted it in their books as FFL to FFL.

Some places just suck.
    That's MD. I transferred a gun in FL. No problem. The problem is her bringing the handguns to Pa. Have to be in separate cases, in the trunk. Don't stop in NY. Stay on the interstates.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    So she is his sister? Not that it matters much, but like Big K said, check with the gunshop/FFL you would like to make the transfer. Legally for handguns they must be transferred thru a PA FFL since you are a PA resident. Legally there is no requirement that they go thru a FFL at her end, but some places may not accept them otherwise. Ask the question and let us know, thanks.
    The FFL I use is very accommodating, but he won't accept from a private non-licensee. It would be kind of expensive to send 3 handguns through a FFL to FFL in PA.

(Indiana County)

Three years ago I needed to raise some cash for my divorce lawyer.

I sold a guy in Ohio a rather pricey handgun.
    He didn't want it shipped and risk it getting lost so he offered to pay my gas and a couple bucks for food if I would drive it to him since I was fairly close to him.
    Poland OH is not that far so I agreed.

Upon getting to his FFL I was told he couldn't do the transfer because PA is "known" for stolen guns being sold to other states so the "trail" gets lost...
    It was Saturday and we know that places close early so luckily he had another place that we were able to use.

There are FFL's who will refuse an out of state handgun transfer if it walks in, regardless of some other opinions.
    Best to check beforehand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast