Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question on Montgomery LTCF

Hello,
    I am new here, and I just moved to PA. I purchased my first firearm a few weeks ago(Sig P232--it's an amazing piece), I am familiar with firearms, but i am not that familiar with the application process for LTCF.
    I live in Souderton; I assume I'd have to therefore go to Norristown for the Montgomery Co. Sheriffs office for the LTCF? Also, I looked on their website, and it stated that they isssue LTCF for those residents who 'show cause for carrying a firearm'; this makes it seem like they 'may issue', provided I give the acceptable justification. Will I have to show cause for carry when I go to apply?

Also, any other tips or advice would be much appreciated. I just moved here, so I don't know a lot of people in this county. Will that be a problem for the references section? I thought I'd put my gf as one, since we live together but are not related (and unmarried).
    How long can I expect this process to take?
    I look forward to learning from everyones' experiences and wisdom on these boards.

Default Re: Question on Montgomery LTCF

You will first need to go to your local PD and have a "check card" filled out. ( local BI) When that is completed, you take that down to the SD and they will issue your License.

If you do not have a local PD, then you will need to get it done by the PSP who covers your muni.

Make sure you go down to the SD at least an hour prior to the end of their day , or they will make you drop it off and come back another day to finish the process.

(Montgomery County)

Ahh, beautiful Montgomery County....

Welcome, firstly!

Second - Go to your local PD and get the background check card (I forget what the exact name of the card/paperwork is) - Basically, this is a statutorily non-existent requirement implemented by Mont. Co., whereby you pass 2 background checks - A "local" check with your township or borough PD, and then (after 2 weeks or so, whenever they get around to completing it), you take that completed and signed/stamped card to the Norristown court House Special Services Dept., where the "real" background check takes place, and you pay your money, get your photo taken, and receive your LTCF...

No need to show a reason for carrying. You will need to check off a reason on the form (I suggest "Self Defense" or "Protection" - whichever it currently says on the form)...

HTH...

Regards,

Bones

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by k9loki View Post
    You will first need to go to your local PD and have a "check card" filled out. ( local BI) When that is completed, you take that down to the SD and they will issue your License.

If you do not have a local PD, then you will need to get it done by the PSP who covers your muni.

Make sure you go down to the SD at least an hour prior to the end of their day , or they will make you drop it off and come back another day to finish the process.
    None of the above is required by law or contained within the STATE UFA (Uniform Firearms Act).

OP: Submit a LTCF application to your Sheriff, provide 2 (non-family) references from anywhere you like, wait no longer than 45 days for them to issue you a LTCF and pay no more than 20 dollars.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    None of the above is required by law or contained within the STATE UFA (Uniform Firearms Act).

OP: Submit a LTCF application to your Sheriff, provide 2 (non-family) references from anywhere you like, wait no longer than 45 days for them to issue you a LTCF and pay no more than 20 dollars.
    ^^ This is kinda what I was alluding to with my "statutorily non-existent" descriptor

I agree that this is how it is supposed to be. I hope Mont. Co. will drop this BS practice soon...

Maybe I'll just let my PA LTCF lapse next year and carry on one of my non-residents for a few years....

Regards,

Bones

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    ^^ This is kinda what I was alluding to with my "statutorily non-existent" descriptor

I agree that this is how it is supposed to be. I hope Mont. Co. will drop this BS practice soon...

Maybe I'll just let my PA LTCF lapse next year and carry on one of my non-residents for a few years....

Regards,

Bones
    Or force them to follow the law and don't give in. It is not as pleasant of an exchange, but if you do it right, it will be a positive experience for you and those that follow you in the end.

I had to do it in Delco...

(Berks County)

The background check card is available online:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...45054cd58d.pdf

Or on this page:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...eriffNav,|.asp

Under "Gun Permit / Special Services"

Has anyone spoken to the new Sheriff (Behr) about the extra, unlawful requirements?
    Last edited by anonymouse; June 29th, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Or on this page:

Has anyone spoken to the new Sheriff (Behr) about the extra, unlawful requirements?
    It is the Sheriff's responsibility to conduct the background check. If he wants an additional one conducted with the police, let HIM do it.

No chance I would fill out that police check card.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    It is the Sheriff's responsibility to conduct the background check. If he wants an additional one conducted with the police, let HIM do it.

No chance I would fill out that police check card.
    Agreed, I was just posting the link to save the OP the trouble of tracking it down from the Sheriff or his local PD.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Or on this page:

Good links; Thanks!

Mont. Co. fails on their own terminology:

"Local Police Check Needed For Concealed Weapons Permit"

BTW, I agree, BimmerJon... I sometimes admit to my own apathy when confronted with it head-on

Regards,

Bones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast