Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default How many times can I reload brass?

I am reloading mostly 9mm and .45 ACP.

I friend of mine tells me he reloads 45 and 9mm until the cases develop splits. He told me that he has 9mm with over 15 loadings and 45 with over 20. He also told me that he reloads until the primer holes are so expanded that the primers almost fall out.

Is this safe?

How many times can i expect to get? Does anyone else reload pistol brass until the cases start to split?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Last edited by RJH245; March 4th, 2008 at 10:20 AM.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: How many times can I reload brass?

I have loaded some old mil. surplus .45 brass so many times the head stamp is hard to read. Yes I reload them until they break or I loose them.

Yes it is safe. 45ACP doesn't develop anywhere near the pressure a bottle necked rifle cartridge does. .45 max pressure is 21000 psi whereas some rifle pressures are around 60000 psi.

how many times you can reload a case depends on many factors so there is no hard and fast rule.

I don't do 9mm but I expect it would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RJH245 View Post
    I am reloading mostly 9mm and .45 ACP.

I friend of mine tells me he reloads 45 and 9mm until the cases develop splits. He told me that he has 9mm with over 15 loadings and 45 with over 20. He also told me that he reloads until the primer holes are so expanded that the primers almost fall out.

Is this safe?

How many times can i expect to get? Does anyone else reload pistol brass until the cases start to split?

Thanks,
    Rob

(Lebanon County)

I don't count how many times I reload my rifle or handgun brass.
    I do keep my brass in groups or lots though. When I buy new brass I keep it separate from my old brass, and in groups of 20 or 50 or whatever seems appropriate. I reload that whole group at the same time so as not to have some in a group that have been reloaded several times while others in the same group have been reloaded only a few times.
    (Occasionally this requires staying at the range a little while longer to make sure an entire lot of brass is ready to reload )
    I inspect them at each reloading, trim as needed and dispose of any that have imperfections such as split necks, loose primer pockets etc.
    I've never discarded brass because it has been reloaded X number of times, I do discard it when it shows the slightest sign any defect.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Almost forever, they don't get ballooned out like rifle or necked brass when fired, they expand evenly. Running them thru a die does not work them to death. Like your friend said, till they split or the primers fall out.

(Centre County)

Until they split. Even if they split when you fire them, the way they are encased by the cylinder (revolver) or the chamber (semi auto) there is very little chance of hurting the gun or the shooter.

Watch out for nickle plated cases, it appears to me (through many years of shooting and reloading) that they develop splits quicker. It may be that the brass may be a bit thinner to take into account the nickel plating.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

well i just checked my logs..
    i have a H&K USP 40 S&W i have 100 rounds of brass i loaded 40 times each so far... i all so shoot a mid load using 180 FMJ's
    mind you they were factory umc's so i basicly shot them 41 times havent lost one yet
    Dave

(York County)

Wow, the cases have been reloaded 40 times? Do you plan on reloading the cases until they split?

Rob

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJH245 View Post
    Wow, the cases have been reloaded 40 times? Do you plan on reloading the cases until they split?

Rob
    well its kinda funny i want to see how long they will last... i was suprised they lasted this long.. i have had others not last 10 times that were stiff loads

i have 357 Max rounds i loaded all most at max with a 180 xtp they are on ther 6th loading coming up this fall

when i first started shooting i kelpt every thing them marked it
    the cost of brass now im happy i did so the long they last the better off i am..

i have a few hundread once fired rem onese these ones are shot they will go in the trade /scrap bucket then ill load some newer stuff up but ill prob go with a lighter load just for practic..
    but when i carry i use Remmy golden sab.
    i never ever carry a reload when im out and about

Dave