Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Started shooting again

Well, Yesterday I finally started shooting a handgun again.

Since I stuck a sawzall blade in my eye (3 stitches in cornea) the day before Mothers Day, I've been putting it off and coupled with the fact that Greater Pitt (the only club I belong to at this point) is closed indefinitely, I haven't shot a pistol or rifle at all.

I was invited to shoot at McDonald and decided it was time. I still have one stitch in and it'll stay for another 2-2 1/2 more months

I put a big dot front sight on one of my Glocks thinking it would be easier to see, but the group was 12 in. or so at 12 yds. Ugly.

I put that pistol away and used my Glock 32 with a .40 bbl. I had Heinie straight eight slant pros on both until I changed out the one.

Better.
    I can't focus the right eye to see the front sight, but with effort and more concentration, I can kind of put both front sights into both rear sights and the groups tightened up reasonably.
    I also tried to shift my good eye into a position that I can get a good sight picture and that works but would take some getting used to (probably what a cross-dominant shooter would normally do).

Phil was sighting in his AR at 50 and asked if I wanted to try it out. The sight picture I had through his Aimpoint was something like a red dot at around midrange brightness with the dot having a spur up 1/4 inch to 2 oclock with a starburst at the 2 oclock position. If I concentrated on the dot itself, I was able to hit 5 of 6 into a 2" bull off a rest. I have irons on my bushy and can't focus at all on the front sight so I'll get an Aimpoint.

We did some pistol drills shooting at multiple targets, turning and shooting. Mostly shot at 3 targets. Headshots are pretty tough even at a slow pace.

Com shots came in better as we shot for a while ( shaking off the rust).

About 2/3 hrs into it, the eye started to really bother me so I was done. I worked the timer for the other guys doing AR drills.

I like this range and may try to get a membership. They have a 600 yd rifle range and 5 or 6 pistol bunkers.
    They require work details or a higher dues requirement but it looks like they are far enough out that night shooting may be possible without causing a problem. I don't think they have maximum round limits and one drill we ran was to advance when shooting and a guy just about ran a 20 rd AR mag dry.

I think Greater Pitt is going to be in legal limbo for quite a while (just a feeling I have without anything to base it on) so I'm going to get into another club.
    This McDonald club is only 20 min away also.

Later,

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

Wow, sorry to hear about the injury, glad it hasn't totally stopped you from enjoying the sport. I wouldn't get too down about your grouping, just shoot for the best you can given your predicament. If anything maybe it'll be fun starting over again, haha.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Thanks danp,

I didn't lose the eye, so even 90% is a bonus.
    I'll have to wait till the last stitch is out, let the cornea form to it's final shape and hopefully a corrective lens will work.

The 4 inch groups I hit at 12 yards aren't that far off from the 3 3/4 inch groups I shot at my best .

I'll probably take another "basic" pistol class next spring to see how i do.

I'll deal with whatever I get and make the best of it.

Later

(Allegheny County)

good luck to you 27...sorry hear about your eye injury.

on the bright side, 4" groups at 12 yards is plenty good enough for self-defense.

Hopefully, you will recovery fully from the injury. I normally wouldn't recommend lasers to people with pistols, but until your eye gets better...have you considered a Lasermax or Crimson Trace? I had a lasermax a few years ago...it was alright, but you still must compensate for range.

The XS big dot is designed more for quick target picture...so at close range it's great for speed, but when you are shooting at longer ranges...it's not the preferred sight picture.

I know that we all want tiny groups with our pistols and rifles, but the truth of the matter is if you can hit 8" steel plates or anything around 8" you are doing well...b/c that is the size of a human head. I wouldn't beat yourself up over your first outting since the injure. Just takes time and practice.

I am shooting differently as well...I am left eye dominate, but right handed, so it took me a few range sessions to get used to using my right and with my left eye.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I am left eye dominate, but right handed, so it took me a few range sessions to get used to using my right and with my left eye.
    I was right-eye dominant and left-handed, I taught myself to shoot right-handed and can't imagine going back now.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

I'm gonna keep it simple Bro, I hope you feel better and recover 100%. Hold strong
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Allegheny County)

There are probably posters here with considerably more problems than this bump in the road.

You know what was wierd about the eye stitches? They tape your lids open and you watch the instrument come right down into the eye. Although it was numbed, you can feeel the tugging when they tighten the stitch. Very odd feeling.

LRT, you are 100% right about the 4'' groups. I never stopped carrying and never thought I couldn't do what I had to.

aubie515, I have considered Crimson Trace. I have been taught to not add any "DoDads" onto a serious defensive firearm --lasers, extended slide stops & mag releases but if this vision problem cannot be corrected, i will do whatever it takes and that may be a viable option

I'll have to take the deer rifle out soon also to see what it's like to shoot with a scope. No clue on this yet.

danp, I was already told by one trainer to try shooting a rifle left handed. The phrase "old dog, new tricks" comes to mind.

Thanks Drak. The surgeon told me 90% is about all I can hope for. I guess 90% can be considered almost perfect

(Delaware County)

Be careful with the recoil from the deer gun and the .40. No need to cause further damage, you might not get a second chance on those ol' eyes. From here in Philly, there are only 2 to a customer.

Best regards,
    chalmitch

(Union County)

Good luck with the eye sight back--

Don't over do the shooting until the eye is up to it.

Keep the positive attitude and all should be fine. I had a little problem with my right eye several years ago and learned to shot half-way decent from the left side with both rifle and pistol. Now the right eye is as good as can be expected I practice firing rifle and pistol from both the left and right side as not to backslide.

Grizz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast