Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Gov. Tom Wolf declares 'state of emergency' in Pa. opioid epidemic

I think Wolf is aware of the OC aspect of his state of emergency as he likely consulted and talked it over with his legal advisors before taking the action....and he likely does not care how it affects gun owners one way or the other.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Gun owners, gun shops, cops... none of them know all the gun laws.
    There is 0% chance that the governor knows about this and even if he did, he wouldn't even care - not because he wants to screw over the 35 open carriers in the state who walk everywhere because they don't have a LTCF, but because his "goal" has nothing to do with "gun rights" - he wants (a) attention (look what I'm doing - I'm so noble), and (b) he wants "free money" from the feds.

(Venango County)

Maybe we should save our vitriol for antifa addicts...
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(York County)

This is what I am planning to write to my representative.
    Dear Ms. Klunk,

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018, Governor Tom Wolf "declared a state of emergency as officials try to get a handle on the heroin and opioid epidemic that annually claims thousands of lives in Pennsylvania." Now that sounds all well and good, but 18 Pa.C.S. § 6107 states:

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
    (1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.
    (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    (b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    “Accessory.” Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
    “Firearm.” The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

Basically, Governor Wolf has, with a stroke of a pen, taken away the rights of Pennsylvanian citizens as protected under the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, section 21: "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

A state of emergency is declared to release funds that normally would not be accessible to combat an emergency: natural disasters such as flooding from hurricanes, severe tornadoes, blizzards, civil unrest, stuff like that. These are temporary things, over and done with in a short period of time. Declaring the opioid epidemic, something that people have been doing to themselves since the invention of the poppy and that has been a problem since the 1960's, as an "emergency" is taking things overboard in order to play political theatre for the news cameras. One can assume that this state of emergency is open ended, as it is unlikely that the war on drugs, which has been ongoing since President Nixon "declared" it on 18 June 1971, will be won by Governor Wolf making speeches before the media.

Pennsylvania has long been a state with a treasured heritage of hunting. Governor Wolf's state of emergency declaration has changed that, as carrying a long gun for hunting isn't excluded from section 6107. The Great American Outdoor Show, held in Harrisburg, would be affected as the Farm Show Complex where it is held is Commonwealth property and thus enacts section 6107. Furthermore, unless you can prove an exception under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106(b), general attendance at the Great American Outdoor Show would be illegal. These are two ways in which Governor Wolf's declaration will affect the pocketbook for Pennsylvania.

It rankles that the state whose name has echoed throughout history as being synonymous with freedom has now shackled her citizens with tyranny. As my representative, I ask that you move to have section 6107, which conflicts with Article 1, section 21 as well as the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, repealed in its entirety.
    Any changes before I send it off?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that this is being done to stop a TEENY tiny percentage (open carriers with no LTCF) of a small percentage (people who carry with a LTCF) of the population from carrying guns.

It's being done as a political "look at me! I'm HELPING those poor, innocent victims of the opioid epidemic!"
    Exactly, that's all this is because of upcoming elections....
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Berks County)

...and does this "State of Emergency", aside from the firearm impacts already discussed, now mean that snowmobiles and ATVs can be operated on the roads, too?

(Allegheny County)

Won't be long before those who need pain relief are told to "just take an aspirin" because of the people who can't manage to keep from becoming addicted.

I can damned well guarantee that the number of people who are NOT hooked on opioids is higher than those who are.
    Seems we have an "epidemic" of people who benefit from the drugs. What should we do??? IDEA: "STOP allowing them pain relief because of the actions of the few!"
    BRILLIANT!!!

You guys sticking up for the addicts wanna use "personal experience" as validation for your viewpoint? I can do the same for my viewpoint.

I can "feel" for those who are suffering from addiction in very limited circumstances, but the extents that are gone to in order to "save" people over and over and over again (sometimes within hours) is absurd, and this "epidemic"... well, I don't see it as an epidemic.

(Lancaster County)

This thread is an example of part of the problem. Ignorance. Ignorance and strong opinions based on ignorance.

Most people I talk to you envision a “junkie” as seen on TV. Some sweaty, twitchy, unkempt guy or gal seen on the street. Not the kid that played Little League with their boy or the girl that had sleepovers with their daughter.
    It’s like the back injury reasoning or sport injury reasoning that makes it more palatable for some. They’d be just as surprised if not cynical and in denial to know that there are people all around them that have done drugs as recreation their whole lives or maybe starting in college. Before they became a coworker, police officer, nurse, business partner. Or even the family member they thought they knew so well.

No it’s obvious some people do not know shit about drugs, the culture or the people that use.

I guess there was a time when drugs were viewed as something a step farther along than alcohol. Drinks with friends, hell, getting drunk with friends was different than smoking weed with friends. And then smoking weed was normalized and for many became synonymous with having a good time with friends and socializing.

Well here’s a heads up or FYI, drug use, all drug use has become pretty normal in circles. Those circles might be a smaller and more secretive than the larger circle of friends and colleagues but it’s there. I almost guarantee it. They’re doing coke or meth or heroin. They’re doing it in some form and you’re oblivious to it.

Because they’re not unkempt, sweaty and twitchy people you see on the periphery of your society.

(Bucks County)

Really, the only question here....What will the SOE do to solve this problem? Is there any teeth in it, other than throw $$ at it? If not, It's as useless as a #Hashtag......therefore there's another reason behind the curtain.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Luzerne County)

My understanding is it ooens the state to recieve grant money to solve the problem
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast