Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: New Blair County Sheriff: NFA friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHX2112 View Post
    I'm going to hit up some other forums and see if there is any intel out there on what is going on with the new Sheriff.

While I was on jury duty last March, I stopped by his office a couple times to see if I could chat with him for a minute or two and get his opinion on Form 1's, but he was out both times. Worker Bee's in the office told me he would not let me drop off the paperwork, I would have to make an appointment to see him first. I'm still waiting on a custom build before I can start the Form 1 process. Without the serial number, I can't do anything right now.

Because I'm a card carrying member of the Murphy's Law club, I will go ahead and start working on a back up plan (Trust FTW!) so if he is NFA-Unfriendly, I can just ignore him and press on with my latest build.

I also need to research who can (legally) or cannot sign off on the Form 1 for Blair County. (Other than Sheriff)
    District Attorneys
    Judges over felony cases
    Local Police Chief
    Sheriff
    PSP Barrack Commander

there might be a couple others too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Blair County)

Talking Re: New Blair County Sheriff: NFA friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    District Attorneys
    Judges over felony cases
    Local Police Chief
    Sheriff
    PSP Barrack Commander

there might be a couple others too.
    Thanks for the clarification, I figured worst case I would attempt to make an appointment with Altoona's Chief, or the Barracks Commander. Heck, I'll even hit up the Coroner if I have too, hehe.
    USAF Security Police

(Blair County)

Word on the street is DA Consiglio will sign if he knows you and Chief Frehling (APD) will not. I called the Hollidaysburg barracks and the CO will not sign.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie351 View Post
    Word on the street is DA Consiglio will sign if he knows you and Chief Frehling (APD) will not. I called the Hollidaysburg barracks and the CO will not sign.
    I was going to update here too, but you covered a couple points already.

I'm going to call the Sheriffs office tomorrow, and see if I can get any info straight from the horses mouth. I ran out of time today, and couldn't get to a phone in time.

So far, I'm hearing second had stuff, so I'm hesitant to start yelling for now. I contacted East Coast guns yesterday, since they sell Suppressors, I figured they would have a good clue on this subject since they would need to process Form 4's. Guy I spoke with VIA phone stated the Sheriff may have signed a few at first, then stopped. They supposedly had one customer turned away recently, so they had to figure out who would sign off. Worker Bee at East Coast also stated the Barracks Commander in Hollidaysburg is a no-go. He will not sign.

There is a Lt at Altoona PD who will sign off supposedly, but I will hold off on contacting him until I get more info. [:|] I also talked to Allegheny Trading Post, or whatever they are called, today. Gentleman I spoke with stated he hadn't heard anything on the subject, but, then again he said he hasn't pushed any Form 1's through the sheriff's office recently. He did state he had a few pending, and sitting on the desk when the new Sheriff assumed office, and he had to go there to get them signed off. Sheriff would not do it at that time until he went in person and explained what was going on.

Once I speak with the Sheriffs office, I will then form my own opinion, and take it from there. I shouldn't have to know somebody or be buddy's to get something like this done. If an average citizen is refused this process by that particular office, then that would be a real shame.
    USAF Security Police

(Blair County)

Just got off the phone with the Sheriffs office, lady who answered stated the Sheriff will not sign the forms. I asked if this was a case by case situation, and she stated he will not sign them, and to go somewhere else.

I'm going to make an attempt to actually talk to the Sheriff personally, so there is no confusion what so ever on his standing on this subject. If you run as a pro gun Sheriff, then pull this kind of crap, then there are some issues that need clarified, and the pro-gun stance is sketchy at best.
    USAF Security Police

(Blair County)

Watching with interest, kinda makes me wish I would of played the form 4 game long before.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Blair County)

Talked to the sheriff again. He says that according to Title 42, Subchapter D under Municipal Police Jurisdiction, Sections 8951 through 8954, it is illegal for him to sign the forms. He suggested again to contact PSP if you live in an area without it's own police department. He is going to send a letter to the Hollidaysburg barracks of PSP and all local PD's in the county stating his thoughts on the situation.

And for those among us using a revocable living trust, ATF is taking a closer look at them. Especially those from Quicken and Legal Zoom. According to David Goldman, a trust attorney with a special interest in NFA weapons trusts, ATF is saying that even though the trust may be valid in PA it may not give you the right to use the weapons listed in the trust??? I have my own trust attorney going over mine to verify it's validity.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie351 View Post
    Talked to the sheriff again. He says that according to Title 42, Subchapter D under Municipal Police Jurisdiction, Sections 8951 through 8954, it is illegal for him to sign the forms. .
    Maybe I suck at searching but this can't be what he's talking about?

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/j...9.053.000.html
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Blair County)

"He is going to send a letter to the Hollidaysburg barracks of PSP and all local PD's in the county stating his thoughts on the situation. "

Being a card carrying member of the Murphy's Law club, and a part time tinfoil hat wearer, I interpret this statement as - The local sheriff is letting other police dept's know of his interpretation of the referenced codes/laws, and he is giving them a heads up on this situation, or hole in the aforementioned laws/code pertaining to his interpretation of the rules.

If that does turn out to be the case, then everybody who had Form 1's and Form 4's signed of by their local sheriff and then approved by the ATF.... WTF?

If these weapons/devices are legal in the state of Pennsylvania, but now we have somebody possibly saying they, or local LE cannot sign off on them, then, we have a big problem.

This is above my pay grade. Time to consult Lawyer who specializes in Firearms Laws, or paperwork, or whatever you call it.

Oh, and my guess is, this is all going to end up being an issue of LIABILITY. The Sheriff either thinks there is, or he has been told there is a Liability issue with him signing off. Just my guess/two cents.
    Last edited by GLHX2112; August 6th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
    USAF Security Police

(Blair County)

Talking Re: New Blair County Sheriff: NFA friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    Maybe I suck at searching but this can't be what he's talking about?

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/j...9.053.000.html
    I don't see anything in there saying he cannot sign. Sadly, there are no rules saying he has too either. I'm leaving things alone for now, and working on plan(s) "B" & "C".
    USAF Security Police

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast