Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I had my record expunged can I now buy firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by revelation9985 View Post
    I will be going down to my local gun show tomorrow and will see if I get denied. Should I buy a used gun instead? I heard PA law that you dont need a backround check if buying from someones personal collection, is that correct?
    Incorrect. In PA all handgun sales/ transfers must go through an FFL unless the handgun is being gifted to a direct relative, I.E. Father to son. Sales/ transfers of rifles do not need to go through an FFL as long as recipient is not prohibited from owning the weapon.

(Luzerne County)

I will be going down to my local gun show tomorrow and will see if I get denied. Should I buy a used gun instead? I heard PA law that you dont need a backround check if buying from someones personal collection, is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    Incorrect. In PA all handgun sales/ transfers must go through an FFL unless the handgun is being gifted to a direct relative, I.E. Father to son. Sales/ transfers of rifles do not need to go through an FFL as long as recipient is not prohibited from owning the weapon.
    Revelation9985, keep in mind that anything bought from a gunshop, used or new, must go through a PICS background check. However, muzzleloaders are an exception to this.

My thought is that you wouldn't be a prohibited person whether or not your records had been expunged. If I were you, I'd go and buy something that requires a background check. If you can buy it, great. If not, you can look into it further and find out if you truly are prohibited, or if it is something that a lawyer can clear up for you. What if you buy a few rifles/shotguns from private sales and then find out you're prohibited? Now, you're a prohibited person in possession of guns.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Revelation9985, keep in mind that anything bought from a gunshop, used or new, must go through a PICS background check. However, muzzleloaders are an exception to this.

My thought is that you wouldn't be a prohibited person whether or not your records had been expunged. If I were you, I'd go and buy something that requires a background check. If you can buy it, great. If not, you can look into it further and find out if you truly are prohibited, or if it is something that a lawyer can clear up for you. What if you buy a few rifles/shotguns from private sales and then find out you're prohibited? Now, you're a prohibited person in possession of guns.
    This thread will now has come to a conclusion. I went down to the gun show, saw a Glock 23 40. used in good shape for $350 My back round check took 2 minutes and went right through. So Im now a proud owner of a Glock 23. So Im thrilled! Thanks everyone for the info.

(Luzerne County)

This thread will now has come to a conclusion. I went down to the gun show, saw a Glock 23 40. used in good shape for $350 My back round check took 2 minutes and went right through. So Im now a proud owner of a Glock 23. So Im thrilled! Thanks everyone for the info.
    Congratulations on your purchase! Now you've gotta take it out to the range to get proficient with it! Remember safety at all times.

(Northampton County)

Congratulations on your purchase! Now you've gotta take it out to the range to get proficient with it! Remember safety at all times.
    Thanks! How difficult is it to get a carry permit? How much does it cost? Does the gun have to be concealed or out in the open? Or can you have it both ways?

(Luzerne County)

Thanks! How difficult is it to get a carry permit? How much does it cost? Does the gun have to be concealed or out in the open? Or can you have it both ways?
    Here's a link to the Delaware County "Gun Permit Application." According to the website, it is $46, which means they're way overcharging you for your License to Carry Firearms. It's easy. Fill out the application with two references, give them some cash, and wait.

With a license to carry firearms, the gun can be carried openly or concealed. Without a LTCF, the gun can only be openly carried and only on foot (but to open carry in Philly requires a LTCF) and can only be stored in the car unloaded in the trunk to and from the range, gunshop, or gunsmith.

I guess if having it both ways is your thing, you can have it both ways. Seriously though, you can do a half-assed conceal carry if you like. There is no law that says you have to carry concealed or have to carry openly.

Make sure you fully understand all of the PA laws before carrying. There are many places that are off limits to carrying and many others that are not off-limits, though often believed to be. Stick around here and read up as much as possible. I've learned a ton of information on this site since joining. A good place to start is the law section and many of the "stickies" threads.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/113...ws-rights.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html
    Last edited by max384; October 10th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.

(Northampton County)

Here's a link to the Delaware County "Gun Permit Application." According to the website, it is $46, which means they're way overcharging you for your License to Carry Firearms. It's easy. Fill out the application with two references, give them some cash, and wait.

With a license to carry firearms, the gun can be carried openly or concealed. Without a LTCF, the gun can only be openly carried and only on foot (but to open carry in Philly requires a LTCF) and can only be stored in the car unloaded in the trunk to and from the range, gunshop, or gunsmith.

I guess if having it both ways is your thing, you can have it both ways. Seriously though, you can do a half-assed conceal carry if you like. There is no law that says you have to carry concealed or have to carry openly.

Make sure you fully understand all of the PA laws before carrying. There are many places that are off limits to carrying and many others that are not off-limits, though often believed to be. Stick around here and read up as much as possible. I've learned a ton of information on this site since joining. A good place to start is the law section and many of the "stickies" threads.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/113...ws-rights.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html
    Thanks for all this great info as its very useful. Just to double check though I can carry on foot on PA state property correct? I read that article and it did not mention bands on carry on PA state land. Im talking about land where hunters/hikers are. Just want to double check is all.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for all this great info as its very useful. Just to double check though I can carry on foot on PA state property correct? I read that article and it did not mention bands on carry on PA state land. Im talking about land where hunters/hikers are. Just want to double check is all.
    You can't open carry in state parks or state forests, only concealed carry - which requires a license. Here's a thread that covers this:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...e-forests.html

If you're at all unsure of where you can and cannot carry, it is best not to open carry. Get your LTCF and start out concealed carrying... Or read up on the laws and be sure of them before you OC. If you OC, you are advertising to the world that you are carrying (which isn't a bad thing. I open carry often), which means if you mess up and carry where you aren't supposed to, it's open for the world to see. If you CC and you accidentally go where you're not supposed to go (not that I'm advocating doing this), no one is the wiser.

(Northampton County)

You can't open carry in state parks or state forests, only concealed carry - which requires a license. Here's a thread that covers this:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...e-forests.html

If you're at all unsure of where you can and cannot carry, it is best not to open carry. Get your LTCF and start out concealed carrying... Or read up on the laws and be sure of them before you OC. If you OC, you are advertising to the world that you are carrying (which isn't a bad thing. I open carry often), which means if you mess up and carry where you aren't supposed to, it's open for the world to see. If you CC and you accidentally go where you're not supposed to go (not that I'm advocating doing this), no one is the wiser.

I should not have any problems with getting approval for the LTCF? As I said I was never convicted of any controlled substance so it should go right in and be fine Im hoping. They want me to state reason for wanting the LTCF on application, is the best answer 'Target Practice' ? Also if I choose to buy a gun say today I would have no problem passing the check? Do the PICS see that I have been approved before for a handgun in the system so I wont get any delays in the future?

Thanks for the info

(Luzerne County)

I should not have any problems with getting approval for the LTCF? As I said I was never convicted of any controlled substance so it should go right in and be fine Im hoping. They want me to state reason for wanting the LTCF on application, is the best answer 'Target Practice' ? Also if I choose to buy a gun say today I would have no problem passing the check? Do the PICS see that I have been approved before for a handgun in the system so I wont get any delays in the future?

Thanks for the info
    You shouldn't have any troubles, I wouldn't think. I don't think there is any 'best answer' to the question. I chose self defense. Each PICS background check is independent of one another. Just because someone passed a background check yesterday is no guarantee that today they are not a prohibited person.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast