Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Zeroing 25 and 100yds-Disaster

As I type this I know what I did wrong now, but hear me out and confirm please.

Savage Axis II. Cleaned and lubed and new. Bore sighted. Started with Malaysian 148gn surplus. Click, click click. Those primers are hard as Chinese calculus!! Guess I have to buy a milsurp rifle now because they are useless in a bolt action rifle. Thoughts as to why they would not fire? I believe hard primers because I could see the strikes. Maybe 2 of 10 fired.

So, had to go to the "expensive ammo". My hunting core lokt Remington. 20 rounds later, don't laugh, hard day, I am single holing. So, at 25 yards I am spot on. 150gn

Went to the expensive core lokt at 100 yards. Used 180gn because it was all I brought extra as the 150gn ran out. 20 rounds later, did I even hit the target? I'm not sure. Next time, I will have a larger target so I can see any strikes, my error, one of many. I think I was 6" high at least because at top of target I saw some strikes. Again, my error not fixing prior. I feel like my rifle jumped right as well, could be part of the problem, I was bad today!

Lessons:

1. Zero at 25 and 100 with same gn ammo, the 180 always seemed to cause gun to jump and shoot high? Plus, consistency, if I used 180 at 25 should get same results at 100 with 180.
    2. Binoculars, did not bring, relied on scope to see and even at 12x was difficult to see. Using shoot and see so should be no issue but when I hit white high, no chance even with scope to see.
    3. Take my time, I rushed it. Honestly I am sticking with the 150 because my gut is it is enough for deer and had no luck with 180.

Now it is your time to tell me I am dopey and what I can do to get it zeroed at 100.

Also, picked up a case of Wolf 145gn. Says it is bi-metallic jacket. Is that gonna f-up my barrel or am I okay? Also polymer coated case but I assume in a bolt action that's not a problem?
    Last edited by Gunowner99; November 29th, 2019 at 05:12 PM.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Zeroing 25 and 100yds-Disaster

When I'm having issues I start with the basics. Make sure your scope base and rings are tight. My ar10 loosens up the Burris 332 repeatedly. Even with loctite.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Zeroing 25 and 100yds-Disaster

Start by not buying 180 grain ammo. 150 or 165 works great for deer and similar sized critters and all you get with the 180 is more kick and a worse trajectory.
    Did you do any 180s at the shorter range? If not you do not know where you should have been at 100. Good luck out there.

Just FYI I prefer 165BT ammo in my '06 and can do excellent groups at any reasonable range I might run across in the PA woods and a bit more if I need it.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

I get you. Tightened rings and base. They were loose. Nothing short at 180 so yes that was a mistake. Bad day. Not using it to hunt until I get it sighted in. Safe route for sure.

So many mistakes. I’m sure others will point out stuff.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I get you. Tightened rings and base. They were loose. Nothing short at 180 so yes that was a mistake. Bad day. Not using it to hunt until I get it sighted in. Safe route for sure.

So many mistakes. I’m sure others will point out stuff.
    Good decision, sounds like your zero is most likely not correct anymore (if it ever was). Use some blue loctite and the recommended torque on the base and rings.

Download the Federal ballistics app. It will help with knowing the elevation offset at 25 vs 100 (if you're not using a federal load I'm sure there is one close enough).

Also if your scope tracks correctly (not always a given unless you're in the $1k range - no joke) then you can limit your number of shots to zero with the $2 per round stuff. Tracking means each click ACTUALLY moves point of impact the indicated amount.

(Montgomery County)

Also with rings that aren't very high, .308 should be very flat out to 100. If it's a point blank shot then you may have to raise your point of aim an inch or two, otherwise you'll be good out to 100 for just lining up the cross hairs.

(Berks County)

Yeah. I was dead nuts at 25 and then when I went to 100, and changed to 180gn at the same time, I did not see it hit paper at all. I’ll get the 150gn, try again at 25 and then again at 100. Feeling is I will be fine. Just making sure I am not missing anything. I’ll look at that app. Flat trajectory is fine by me. Operator error likely. Bad day.

(Westmoreland County)

I'd say the loose scope is the main issue. Heating up the barrel on a bolt action can cause problems too if you're shooting to quick. The thinner barrels or even bedding issues can cause the bullets to walk off target when the barrel heats up. Take your time, take more than one gun to shoot to amuse yourself while the barrel cools between strings. About 1" high at 25 yards should place you about dead on at 100 yards. 1" high at 100 yards will put you minute of deer out to 200 yards.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Berks County)

One minute of deer?

Probably shot 40 rounds in 1 hour. That doesn’t seem like much.

I’m tightened and waiting for practice ammo to test again at the range.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    1. Zero at 25 and 100 with same gn ammo, the 180 always seemed to cause gun to jump and shoot high?
    Usually a heavier bullet is a tad slower and in the barrel longer. Effect of recoil will make it hit higher.
    As suggested start with the basics and rule out one factor at a time.
    I'd use some decent ammo (same bullet, brand and if possible same lot#) to take that out of the equation.
    Even the same weight bullet from brand x may hit different than brand y's.
    Hang a full piece of newspaper or cardboard behind your target. If you miss the target you'll see where you're at.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast