Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default AR BUILD with LRB Lower

Well, I ordered 2 LRB lowers today and I think I'm going to place an order with DelTon for a complete rifle kit for one of them and truly build the other.

With that in mind, is there a difference in the lower parts kit from one mfg or another? Aside from a 2 stage or match trigger.

By the way....DelTon told me it would be 16 weeks to get a kit from them.
    KG32A

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR BUILD with LRB Lower

Truthfully, I would go to a local place that sells AR components (if there is one near you) and actually ask to SEE the lower parts before you buy them.

Anymore I've lost trust in a lot of lower parts kits, from pretty much everyone. Demand is high, and apparently to fill all the orders the quality control is going to shit. The QC failure/ "out of spec" rate for parts I'm seeing is freaking abysmal. I guess some manufacturers are hoping we won't notice?

Example- I bought what was advertised as a "Rock River Lower Parts Kit" from DD's ranch. I got the parts in, and the bolt catch was out of spec. It wouldn't catch a bolt worth a damn because it was rounded off. The takedown pin was out of spec. The metal looked like it was covered in welding slag (a "splash" pattern on the top of the pin) and it was so short that you couldn't actually get the takedown detent to lock in the "closed" position. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to appreciate the fact that the takedown pin staying in is pretty important. In addition to that, there was NO fucking way the magazine catch was put together properly. It worked fine but the part where the threaded piece and the catch itself met looked like it had been hammered together- the metal was deformed and mushroomed out, with actual splits. Mag catches aren't typically a high impact part so im sure it would hold through its whole service life, but what the fuck? That's 3 MAJOR parts of the rifle, out of spec or somehow molested, and shipped to me as a legitimate kit. Needless to say I was a little bit pissed off about that.

TL;DR Be on the lookout for out of spec parts.

For what it's worth, M&A parts has always sent me in spec parts, though.