Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default To intervene or to Not intervene, that is the question...

Seems a simple (Christian) thing to do...you see someone in distress or in need of help, you help them. Not so simple in today's litigious society. More calculus must go into the equation before you decide the right thing to do is take action. Sadly these days, it's often best to just be a good witness. This goes against my natural instinct to be a good citizen and especially my instinct to be protective of children and the weaker sex, but what say you?

The armed attorneys break it down and provide some examples where doing the right thing gets you killed or incarcerated. It sucks that society has come to this, but unless it's you or yours, you have to decide if it's worth your personal jeopardy to be the "good guy" and intervene...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: To intervene or to Not intervene, that is the question...

If it isn't your business, you need to think real hard before making it your business. Just my view. Are you prepared to lose everything you have? Sacrifice your own family's well-being? Fuck around and find out.

It is a shame that it has to be that way, but that is how it is.

(York County)

I haven't watched the video yet but I will.

And I agree with the thoughts expressed in both posts #1 and #2.
    Even if you have been a witness to an incident from the beginning are you
    willing to risk your life, freedom, and finances... and put your own family
    at risk? How can you know for sure who is the bad actor?

Even the LEOs loathe domestic incidents, to name just one type.

I have even gone so far as to be very careful before trying to help a stranded
    motorist. It could just be a flat which I can easily rectify, but am I taking a
    chance of being videod and sued if anything goes wrong before proper repairs
    can be made?

Just yesterday I saw a small crossover stop in the roadway, the passenger was trying
    to push it up the easement into a parking lot, all by himself. I got out and helped him
    push while the partially disabled driver managed to get it parked. Seemed like a safe
    gesture. I think it's pretty rare that a person doesn't have a cellphone and can make
    arrangements for their own "rescue".

But that's just roadside stuff. It's the appearance of a crime-in-progress that scares the
    heck out of me. Typically I have a large pocket flashlight, a sharp folding pocket knife,
    and a .45 with a total of 17 rounds, all on my person, every day. And I'm fairly horrifed
    by the thought of ever needing them.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lehigh County)

I'm with free here.
    NRA Life Member

(York County)

It is unfortunate that in current times, sometimes, "no good deed goes unpunished". Choose wisely.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

I*m sitting here thinking of my 18-year-old daughter being attacked, and hoping to God that the extent of people acting doesn*t amount to them just standing around with their freaking phones out so they can post it on their social media for clicks.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    I*m sitting here thinking of my 18-year-old daughter being attacked, and hoping to God that the extent of people acting doesn*t amount to them just standing around with their freaking phones out so they can post it on their social media for clicks.
    I'd step in if I saw that happening.
    FJB

(Philadelphia County)

I didn*t watch the video yet, but will also. Like Curmudgeon said, Domestics are the worst.

But I want to add something that unfortunately in today*s environment is necessary. The ambush. What appears to be simply a person in minor distress, flat tire, hood up, etc. is actually a set up and as soon as you stop to help you are attacked, robbed, carjacked, etc. Just something to keep in the back of your mind and be prepared for.

The problem is you don't who your dealing with, could go sideways quick. People of get restless fast, or act that way to get a reaction.

(i'll watch the vid later)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I didn*t watch the video yet, but will also. Like Curmudgeon said, Domestics are the worst.

But I want to add something that unfortunately in today*s environment is necessary. The ambush. What appears to be simply a person in minor distress, flat tire, hood up, etc. is actually a set up and as soon as you stop to help you are attacked, robbed, carjacked, etc. Just something to keep in the back of your mind and be prepared for.
    I stopped to get gas today and saw a black guy that looked like post malone but built like a brick shithouse standing,
    on the side of the station praying real hard. When I went to pay, he approached me and said excuse me sir, I motioned hold on a minute.
    When I paid I walked over to him and he asked me if I had any spare money because he was homeless.

So I did my drug sand alcohol speech, told him drinking wont help, the only people that can help you are you and god.
    He started tearing up as we talked for about 15 minutes. I handed him 20.00 and shook his hand and said, no drugs or alcohol.
    As I was done pumping gas I looked over at him, gave him the power fist and said keep your chin up. He thanked me again.

That was one dude that broke my heart, I felt really bad for him and wasn't scared of him one bit, even though he could kill me with one punch.
    He was built solid.

I pray he gets some help.
    P.S. I rarely if ever give money to panhandlers.
    FJB

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast