Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default how to sell a handgun in PA?

Hi all,

I am going to be selling a handgun in the near future, and would like to know how to do it. I'd prefer to use my local FFL/gunsmith to broker the deal, if possible.

If it's a face-to-face sale, can both parties simply go the my FFL (or any other FFL), the buyer hand me the money, and then the FFL transers the handgun to the buyer?

If I need to ship the gun outside PA, what's the best way to handle that? What's the best/recommended way for the seller to send the funds? Perhaps send the money to my FFL (impartial 3rd party)? Could I then have my FFL send the handgun to the buyer's FFL?

Thanks for the help. This is my first firearm sale.

Chris

(Erie County)

Default Re: how to sell a handgun in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

I am going to be selling a handgun in the near future, and would like to know how to do it. I'd prefer to use my local FFL/gunsmith to broker the deal, if possible.

If it's a face-to-face sale, can both parties simply go the my FFL (or any other FFL), the buyer hand me the money, and then the FFL transers the handgun to the buyer? Yes

If I need to ship the gun outside PA, what's the best way to handle that? What's the best/recommended way for the seller to send the funds? Perhaps send the money to my FFL (impartial 3rd party)? Could I then have my FFL send the handgun to the buyer's FFL? You can have your FFL ship to the buyers FFL. Or you can ship the gun yourself to the buyers FFL (if that FFL will accept a gun from a non-FFL, some don't like to)

Thanks for the help. This is my first firearm sale.

Chris

Really it's upto the FFL you are shipping it to. Some don't like accepting a handgun from a Non-FFL. The only constant is if your shipping out of state you must ship to a FFL; if selling instate you can FTF at an FFL or if you ship again it must go to an FFL.

I have sold a few firearms lately, so that being said...if you are going to sell out of state...I would talk to the buyer and see if his FFL dealer will accept a firearm from a non FFL holder. If you must ship using your FFL dealer, they will more than likely charge you to ship it...for their trouble. With shipping cost going way up...I'd try to do a local deal if you can. I wouldn't want my FFL dealer to know what I sold my firearm for...it's none of his/her business. As far as payment is concerned...USPS money order is very safe. The buyer won't need to insure it through the post office if it's one of their MO. I have received payment through paypal too...whatever you do DO NOT mention firearm when using paypal...they will lock your account.

(Dauphin County)

Be sure to get a signed copy of the ffl your shipping to before shipping. UPS will kill ya with their charges the USPS will ship for about a third. BUT I think you must be a FFL holder to ship thru the postal service. Depending on the dealer if you package and get everything ready for him that all he must do is go to the PO and do the paper work you might get off cheaper than UPS.I'm returning a pistol to TX this week .I have everything ready to take to my dealer tomorrow for a wed, ship. you can go the PO and get a free Priority shipping box the correct size. hope this helpls. --JMJ--
    "AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."-_Norman Vincent Peale-____________________REMEMBER. "SECURITY WITHOUT LIBERTY Is Called PRISON."---J.L.W

(Centre County)

Above reply has it right, ONLY an FFL can send a handgun through the USPS to another FFL. A non licensee can send it using any other commercial transport. You will need a copy of the receiving FFL license to show to FedEX or UPS. Also FedEx and UPS rules (not BATFE) state that you must ship all handguns overnight (a higher charge, but I think this is to stop any possible internal theft as the package is handled differently). USPS is the cheapest way to go if your local FFL will do it for you (with Priority shipping and tracking and insurance it is very safe).

FTF can be done at any FFL that will do it (you do not have to divulge your selling price to the FFL). Different FFL's will charge different amounts for the transfer.

Hope this helps.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

USPS I believe has a limited amount of insurance. UPS will give a higher insurance rate.

(Centre County)

Armabill,

I don't know what the upper figure for insurance with USPS is but I believe it is based on how much you want to pay. I just returned a rifle I refurbished for my nephew (Remington Model 8 made in 1907) via UPS and insured it for $2500 and the charge wasn't that much. My total charge was about $22.00 (ground, insurance, and tracking) from PA to TX. When he shipped it to me (via USPS Priority Mail) the cost was just shy of $37.00 with an insurance value of $2500. He received it in 3 days, Priority Mail would have been 2 days (according to USPS).

I typically will use FedEx or UPS because it is cheaper (but not necessarily more secure). Unless you ship something overnight with UPS or FedEx it can sit around a distribution point and a description is on the label (per their regs) so more chance for theft. USPS Priority Mail or higher is much more secure (as per USPS regs on how it gets handled) and you don't have a description on the package. I have purchased handguns from another FFL and they sent it USPS with no problems at all.

I do not advocate any specific type of shipping. I use what will be the most convenient for myself or what my client dictates.

All that being said, most people use FedEx or UPS but the law just says commercial shipping. If there is a package delivery service you use, or a trucking company you can use them, it's just that the big two do the most, thus that is who people think of first.

(Delaware County)

I must have not progressed too far into the on line "click and ship" page. I saw a max. of $500.00 before I canceled it.

It worked out better for me going the UPS route for that particular package. Small packages I use the USPS. Large ones I use UPS.

Either USPS or UPS never questioned me what was inside. They just checked for the pre-paid label.

(Centre County)

Armabill,

Actually I don't use the click and ship as we don't have door to door delivery here so I have to take my stuff to the PO to ship. They ask me how much insurance and have never told me that I couldn't insure for that much. That said, they will ask how I want it to go when I tell them the amount of insurance to make sure it goes the most secure way. I know the Postmaster and all the clerks and they know I deal with guns so there's never any questions. The same with the UPS folks, I go to the main place (about a mile from my house), they have my FFL on file and I have never had any problems. Although, I have heard recently that most UPS and FedEx drop spots (Staples, Office Depot, etc.) will NOT accept firearms and will direct you to take it to the main office. And yes, I have also found the UPS is much cheaper to ship than USPS.

On a side note, I noticed you're from Delaware Co. Just wondering where at as my daughter is the bookstore manager at the PSU Delaware Co. campus and now lives in Aston (used to live in Media)

(Allegheny County)

if you are shipping a longarm , then anybody can ship usps. legally a longarm can be shipped postal service, just not a handgun.
    mpi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast