Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New M1s

(Montgomery County)

Default New M1s

I picked up 2 M1s this past week. One is a Winchester M1 Carbine with 2 cans of US Ammo. The other is an M1 Garand with 5 cans of ammo.

The Carbine and ammo I got in a trade for a Ruger Tactical Mini 14 and the M1 Garand with ammo I purchased from a good buddy.

The Winchester has a 5 mil SN. The Receiver, Barrel, Triger Group and Stock are Winchester. The M1 Garand is a SA 300 K pre WWII Receiver with a 5 44 SA dated Barrel. The M1 came with a cut down Bayonet in a Danish Scabbard and 5 cans of US GI 30-06 in end blocks.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New M1s

En bloc clips...

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Nice!

(Bucks County)

Unbelievable find and the ammo is a big plus. Check the 30-06 ammo but it looks like they are already on the clips and probably in the cloth bandoleers with cardboard. Don't throw any of that away. Clips go for $2 each now and people buy the bandoleers too. And save the brass.

I shoot my Garands often but think the carbine is the ultimate rifle for beginner shooters and petite women (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying that). Its short and light and can comfortably be held by people with limited upper body strength. The recoil is mild and you know you're shooting more than a .22 but it doesn't have the muzzle blast of a .223.

(Allegheny County)

So nice to see gun stuff posted on poofa!

Congrats!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Elk County)

Great finds! Thank you for sharing, and enjoy them.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Northumberland County)

The carbines are great. My uncle used to have one, very easy shooting. I'd grab one myself if the prices hadn't skyrocketed.

It's amazing how the Garand gets all the glory, but when you see old war pics, you realize pretty fast how prolific the carbines were.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Unbelievable find and the ammo is a big plus. Check the 30-06 ammo but it looks like they are already on the clips and probably in the cloth bandoleers with cardboard. Don't throw any of that away. Clips go for $2 each now and people buy the bandoleers too. And save the brass.

I shoot my Garands often but think the carbine is the ultimate rifle for beginner shooters and petite women (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying that). Its short and light and can comfortably be held by people with limited upper body strength. The recoil is mild and you know you're shooting more than a .22 but it doesn't have the muzzle blast of a .223.
    They are on end blocks, no cloth bandoliers. I save all of my end blocks since I was 16 years old. I must have 600 plus. I reload 30-06 for my Garands so I have reused them over and over.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    The carbines are great. My uncle used to have one, very easy shooting. I'd grab one myself if the prices hadn't skyrocketed.

It's amazing how the Garand gets all the glory, but when you see old war pics, you realize pretty fast how prolific the carbines were.
    I am the son of a WWII combat veteran. When my dad saw me with my first carbine he told me never to put my life behind one. He said they didn't kill Germans too well and when the barrel got hot the rounds went all over the place. I heard the same thing from other combat vets. I think they are a fun gun to shoot. I àlso have a 100 percent IBM and Saginaw M1 carbine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    I am the son of a WWII combat veteran. When my dad saw me with my first carbine he told me never to put my life behind one. He said they didn't kill Germans too well and when the barrel got hot the rounds went all over the place. I heard the same thing from other combat vets. I think they are a fun gun to shoot.
    You hear that a lot but people forget the carbine was an accessory weapon meant to replace the 1911 pistol and should not be compared with the Garand. For many roles carrying a 5 pound short rifle is preferable to a 9+ pound full sized rifle. And I don't think it was so maligned at the time because there are numerous photos of front line troops with some carrying carbines. Accuracy wise just about anyone can quickly put 15 rounds into a pie plate at 50 yards while under stress when very few could even hit the plate at that distance with a 1911.

A quick look at a ballistics chart shows the hot Corbon +P 125 grain 9mm Luger has a velocity of 1250 fps and an energy of 399 ft lbs and is probably fine for killing Germans. But a Carbine with a 110 grain bullet at almost 2000 fps and 970 ft lbs just bounces off? I don't think so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast