Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Does anyone enjoy bp shooting more than cartridge?

Just some words for thought and to see if I am the only one. I have to say I enjoy shooting my 1858 Remington and 1860 navy BP revolvers more than cartridge shooting. Something about it to me is just more fun than shooting my glocks or other cartridge weapons. Although I would never use a BP revolver as a carry weapon unless I absolutely had to, which is never, at the range I just enjoy it more. Along with this for some reason I am WAY more accurate with my BP revolvers as well, with groups within an inch at 15 yards. So does any one else love BP revolvers more than their cartridge guns, or am I just off? lol

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Does anyone enjoy bp shooting more than cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    Just some words for thought and to see if I am the only one. I have to say I enjoy shooting my 1858 Remington and 1860 navy BP revolvers more than cartridge shooting. Something about it to me is just more fun than shooting my glocks or other cartridge weapons. Although I would never use a BP revolver as a carry weapon unless I absolutely had to, which is never, at the range I just enjoy it more. Along with this for some reason I am WAY more accurate with my BP revolvers as well, with groups within an inch at 15 yards. So does any one else love BP revolvers more than their cartridge guns, or am I just off? lol
    Tell you what, I've always been fascinated by it, never gotten into it. I just don't know where to start. Any advice for a black powder newbie? Kits to buy, budget starter guns? I'd love to give it a try, then maybe I could give you an opinion on the topic. Thanks!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Tell you what, I've always been fascinated by it, never gotten into it. I just don't know where to start. Any advice for a black powder newbie? Kits to buy, budget starter guns? I'd love to give it a try, then maybe I could give you an opinion on the topic. Thanks!
    HIGHLY suggest the 1858 remington from cabelas. Just go to Cabelas website and type that gun in. There is also a starter kit they sell with all the materials you need to start minus the powder. If you like either cheap shooting, the smell of gun powder, or you always wanted to shoot a cowboy wheelgun it would definitely be for you. Plus it always turns heads at the range. The gun plus the starter kit you can get for about 250 shipped to your door. And with black powder guns no ffl is required, so right from store to your door with no paperwork. Hope this helps

(Luzerne County)

My father and I shoot bp. He has various colt reproductions (.31, navy/.36 and army/.44) as well as one remington .44, pa long rifle .440 and a Hawkins (.40 and .50)but I can't think of the years off hand. When shooting bp accuracy benefits from the lower recoil and longer barrel.

All in all black powder is fun until you have to clean everything at the end of the day. Still fun but less forgiving then cartridge guns on being cleaned due to the corrosive nature of bp.

It is fun and very affordable, much cheaper then shooting modern guns. And the best part is that you can have bp guns mailed right to your house, no paper work, no FFL, and no transfers needed.

-K (eyein' up his 1860 Colt Army .44, too late to shoot...)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post
    My father and I shoot bp. He has various colt reproductions (.31, navy/.36 and army/.44) as well as one remington .44, pa long rifle .440 and a Hawkins (.40 and .50)but I can't think of the years off hand. When shooting bp accuracy benefits from the lower recoil and longer barrel.

All in all black powder is fun until you have to clean everything at the end of the day. Still fun but less forgiving then cartridge guns on being cleaned due to the corrosive nature of bp.

It is fun and very affordable, much cheaper then shooting modern guns. And the best part is that you can have bp guns mailed right to your house, no paper work, no FFL, and no transfers needed.

-K (eyein' up his 1860 Colt Army .44, too late to shoot...)
    could't of said it better my self....i have been debating getting a bp rifle for sometime now but really want to get one...also eyeing up a 1860 colt sheriff model (shorter barrel, 5 1/2 i believe)...i do agree cleaning is a beast but i find honestly removing the grips and cylinder and putting the cylinder and gun frame into hot water, wipe clean then use a bit of oil and bore cleaner cleans right up...takes me about 20 minutes...well worth it...i would love to carry mine, but that isn't very practical sadly

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    HIGHLY suggest the 1858 remington from cabelas. Just go to Cabelas website and type that gun in. There is also a starter kit they sell with all the materials you need to start minus the powder. If you like either cheap shooting, the smell of gun powder, or you always wanted to shoot a cowboy wheelgun it would definitely be for you. Plus it always turns heads at the range. The gun plus the starter kit you can get for about 250 shipped to your door. And with black powder guns no ffl is required, so right from store to your door with no paperwork. Hope this helps
    Helps a lot, thanks for the info, I'll definately look into it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I don't have a BP pistol, but I love to pack a lunch and take my flintlock to the range. Might shoot a dozen shots all day. Something about the sound of a flintlock just gets me all worked up.

There is no better feeling than the first one in the center ring with something you made yourself.

I have done a few kits and enjoy the entire process. My next venture is to make a longrifle from scratch. I will have to buy the parts, but hey, I don't have a forge and anvil in the backyard.

I shoot bp as much if not more than the rest. I have from .98 (Belgium Trade Gun) down to a .31 derringer (kit). I was going to use my .67 smoothbore for turkey (14 gauge), but did not get out. Maybe this weekend.

Even my kids enjoy the spark and smell of the burnt powder. Last full weekend in July is the Dixons Gunmakers Fair. Great time if you have any interest. Also, very educational

I love shooting my '58 Remmie clone, but hate to clean it. I lust to build a fancy 54 cal flinter.

Something else I've found that is a ton of fun, bp cartridges. Smokeless goes bang. The holy black goes BOOM!

(Lancaster County)

I'm a BP fanatic but I shoot flintlocks. I mostly shoot a .50 Long Rifle I made from scratch back in the 80's. I also have a CVA flint pistol I made when I was a kid but don't shoot that much. I did have my youngest daughter shooting it last year. My daughter and I do the whole reeanacting/rendezvous scene. Its a blast. If the anti-gun libs ever went to a rondy and saw the barefoot 7 year olds throwing tomahawks, they would drop dead on the spot from a heart attack.(g) If you are into BP, I recommend the PA Federation of Black Powder Shooters (PAFBPS) and of course the NMLRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast