Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default CC'ing Taurus Millennium 111

I saw a Taurus Millennium 111 pistol listed in the classifieds part of this site. I am looking for a 9mm for CC. I was leaning toward a Bersa or Kel-Tec, but the Taurus seems to be a higher quality firearm for the same general price range (granted it is used compared to new in the other 2 brands). I'm not familiar with them though, and haven't had an opportunity to get out anywhere to handle one yet, but I was wondering how the 111 would work for a CC piece?

I am a fairly small-framed person (5'10", 185 lbs) so I'm not looking for anything too big (reason for ruling out Glocks to this point). How does the size of the Taurus compare to these others?

Thanks.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: CC'ing Taurus Millennium 111

imo pt111 is a great concealed gun...sa/da if GREAT....perfect size 3.25 inch barrel ...very nice gun...taurus has unconditional lifetime warranty whether or not your the original purchaser! bass pro has some if you are interested in holding one..theirs is a 40sw but same exact size and all...good luck!

(Perry County)

Thanks matman! I'm heading over to Gander Mtn tonight to check a few different makes out, so I'll be sure to peek at the Taurus if they have one...

(York County)

111 is a great firearm. There are some people that really hate Taurus but I think more and more people are buying there product and actually like it. I have a 145pro and I absolutely love the thing , very similar the the 111. Keep in mind that the smaller gun will be harder to shoot accurately so of you get one make sure you practice with it ALOT to make yourself proficient with it.
    I will also just add that since this is a used model I would not buy it if it wasn't a DA/SA millenium model. The older models had problems that have since been resolved. My 145 has been flAwless since day one and would not hesitate to buy another.

GOOD LUCK!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    I saw a Taurus Millennium 111 pistol listed in the classifieds part of this site. I am looking for a 9mm for CC. I was leaning toward a Bersa or Kel-Tec, but the Taurus seems to be a higher quality firearm for the same general price range (granted it is used compared to new in the other 2 brands). I'm not familiar with them though, and haven't had an opportunity to get out anywhere to handle one yet, but I was wondering how the 111 would work for a CC piece?

I am a fairly small-framed person (5'10", 185 lbs) so I'm not looking for anything too big (reason for ruling out Glocks to this point). How does the size of the Taurus compare to these others?

Thanks.
    I can give you a real good answer to that one. I carry the PT140 and as someone else said its the exact same size and weight as the PT111. Also, I'm 5'9" and 125 pounds so I'm a smaller frame than you. I carry it in a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster, almost always have my shirt tucked, and normally wear Dickies pants and a tshirt. Tucked or untucked, even people who know I'm carrying it don't can't don't see it.

Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    111 is a great firearm. There are some people that really hate Taurus but I think more and more people are buying there product and actually like it. I have a 145pro and I absolutely love the thing , very similar the the 111. Keep in mind that the smaller gun will be harder to shoot accurately so of you get one make sure you practice with it ALOT to make yourself proficient with it.
    I will also just add that since this is a used model I would not buy it if it wasn't a DA/SA millenium model. The older models had problems that have since been resolved. My 145 has been flAwless since day one and would not hesitate to buy another.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on what this means a bit? Since I'm not familiar with Taurus, what does the DA/SA mean? Approx. what year did the improvement take place? How can I tell by looking at it if it is the newer model or not?

I've got the PT145 and the PT111. Both have been flawless. Conceal well and recoil is less,in my mind, then the other guns you listed.

SA/DA. This is an unusual trigger. Every shot is Single Action unless you have a misfire. Then it turns into a Double Action and give you a second (third) try to fire the round. Many guns are just the opposite. Double Action for the first shot and Single Action for every other shot. Problem is that it's the first shot that's most important.

There are several ways of telling the generation of the Taurus Millenniums. First would be the sights. The newer guns have dovetailed sights. They also have Millennium on the left side and PT111Pro on the right side of the slide. Third is the trigger. The SA/DA will have a long light pull for the first shot and a harder shorter pull for the second shot.

I doubt you'll find many 1st generation guns. Second generation have screwed in sights, Millennium Pro on the left side of the slide. And a DAO (Double Action Only) trigger.

(Chester County)

I'm carrying a PT140 in a Crossbreed Supertuck - Previously had it in a Desantis Gunhide IWB. I couldn't have picked a better weapon for concealed carry. Both my PT140 and my boss' PT111 have been 100% reliable on the range. Its not a bullseye gun by any means, but at combat distance (15-30 yards) the Millennium will do its part if you do yours.

I love mine, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it any day.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Perry County)

Ok, so based on it saying Millennium on the left side of the slide, I take it this is the newer generation and should be good, right?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on what this means a bit? Since I'm not familiar with Taurus, what does the DA/SA mean? Approx. what year did the improvement take place? How can I tell by looking at it if it is the newer model or not?
    DA/SA means that it can fire in both Double Action and Single Action. When you rack the slide it chambers a round and cocks the striker putting it in Single Action. If for some reason the gun doesn't go bang it reverts to Double Action allowing you a second chance to fire that round (light strike, misalligned primer, etc). 1st and 2nd Generation Milleniums are all DAO triggers and there were some problems with them, 3rd Generation have the DA/SA trigger and the problems the first two generations had are all worked out.

Easiest way to tell them apart is that 3rd Gen on (I've heard of a 4th Gen but havent seen anything other than rumor) has PTXXXPro on the right side of the slide while 1st and 2nd simply say PTXXX. Here's a site that gives full details of the diffs.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast