Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: LEOSA and NJ?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: LEOSA and NJ?

Just remember, no matter what the rules are now, they will be worse real soon, when the new NJ governor gets in and approves every anti-gun measure that reaches his desk. May need to monitor changes day by day when that happens.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHU2002 View Post
    Interesting. I read the same thing (not having to register in NJ), but then i saw the voluntary registration form online and talking about stopping by the nearest NJSPD to declare a gun. This stuff is a little confusing with NJ. I reside in NC; active duty MP with LEOSA ID. I just want I make sure I’m not going to get in trouble for having an unregistered firearm in NJ. Thanks everyone.
    It would be wise for you to go to the Sheepdog website https://www.sheepdogacademy.com/ and either attend a seminar or download and read all the material.
    You are in one of the worst environments with regard to LEOSA application and practice.
    There is a very real risk that you will find yourself in a legal nightmare given the wrong set of events.
    You need to make it your business to contact the people in the know and get yourself properly informed and situated.
    I would do so without delay.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    It would be wise for you to go to the Sheepdog website https://www.sheepdogacademy.com/ and either attend a seminar or download and read all the material.
    You are in one of the worst environments with regard to LEOSA application and practice.
    There is a very real risk that you will find yourself in a legal nightmare given the wrong set of events.
    You need to make it your business to contact the people in the know and get yourself properly informed and situated.
    I would do so without delay.
    Will do. Thank you all.

NJ doesn't give a fuck all about LEOSA. Most of the cops here will jack your ass up and "let the judge sort it out."
    LEO or not, permitted or not, “When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril”.
    (see: State v. Pelleteri, 294 N.J. Super. 330 (1996))

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    NJ doesn't give a fuck all about LEOSA. Most of the cops here will jack your ass up and "let the judge sort it out."
    LEO or not, permitted or not, “When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril”.
    Sounds good to me. A fat pay-day for unlawful arrest would be tasty.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Well, if they try to jack your ass up on anything covered by LEOSA, they will be eaten alive by a lawyer. I’m still trying to find the case I found several years ago where a judge tore into some LE officials because of a bogus arrest (person was covered by LEOSA). Basically the judge said the higher up LE officials will start being held responsible for not properly training their officers on LEOSA. It would be the same thing as failing to properly train an officer in us of force, etc.

Like I said, I’ve been going to NJ for over 15 years to attend various LE firearms training seminars and all the officers I talked to were fully aware of LEOSA.

(Chester County)

My concern, regarding N.J., is when other types of LEOs who are qualified under LEOSA go to N.J. where their job titles are not always sworn law enforcement in every state. Probation/parole officers/agents vary state to state. In PA, parole agents are sworn peace officers. In other states they are not. Hell , not every county in PA has probation officers who carry. Also I don’t expect every state to know what a PA constable is. When I was in Arizona and Utah this past fall, I saw someone driving around in an emergency vehicle emblazoned with “marshal”, meanwhile the only marshals I am familiar with are the US marshals service.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Berks County)

I am not certain but was this the case in New York involving a Pa. State Constable. The judge ruled that Pa. Constables were LEOSA, but may have commented further.

(Bucks County)

Any police officer working for a police department in PA is certified and carries a certification card. It gets turned in upon retirement. It doesn't matter that the retired officer is no longer "sworn". A formerly-sworn (retired) LEO is covered under LEOSA (if carrying the LEOSA license) in New Jersey, and any other state in the union.
    What s/he has to watch for is mag capacity.15 in NJ, in NY, not so much.

So, as can be seen, pitfalls remain. This is what comes from disregard of the Constitution in 20,000 ways.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Any police officer working for a police department in PA is certified and carries a certification card. It gets turned in upon retirement. It doesn't matter that the retired officer is no longer "sworn". A formerly-sworn (retired) LEO is covered under LEOSA (if carrying the LEOSA license) in New Jersey, and any other state in the union.
    What s/he has to watch for is mag capacity.15 in NJ, in NY, not so much.

So, as can be seen, pitfalls remain. This is what comes from disregard of the Constitution in 20,000 ways.
    Revolver if I'm headed into any magazine restricted states. Can't violate a magazine restriction without a magazine.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast