Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Retired LEOSA update

There has been some interest in the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) here in the past so I thought I'd pass along this update concerning retired LEOs in PA.
    Updated info is in bold below:

Retired Law Enforcement Identification Act

On July 22, 2004, Congress enacted the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA). The intent of LEOSA was to exempt qualified current and retired law enforcement officers from state laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons while traveling from state to state. LEOSA requires that the retired law enforcement officer have a photographic identification card which identifies them as a retired law enforcement officer. LEOSA also requires that the retired law enforcement officer maintain an annual qualification with their firearm.

In response to LEOSA, on December 13, 2005, the Governor signed into law, Act 79, the Retired Law Enforcement Identification Act (RLEIA). RLEIA tasked the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (MPOETC) with establishing uniform identification and qualification cards for retired law enforcement officers and a method of conducting annual firearms qualifications for such individuals.

Under this law, MPOETC also had the duty to promulgate rules and regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of the Act. Essentially, this legislation provides a concealed carry permit for retired officers to travel throughout the country with a firearm.

Therefore, the identification cards must be of a quality that would reasonably be accepted as authentic in other jurisdictions, and contain the very specific information required by the Act, including multiple signatures. The identification card must be able to be produced for all retired officers, including many from very small police departments, for a cost of less than $15.00 per card.

Other regulations were necessary in order to provide for a database system to track the issuance of identification cards, qualification cards and qualified firearms instructors. Regulations have also been drafted to provide for the safe operation of the firearms qualification for participants who may have been retired for a significant period of time.

Regulations were approved by the Independent Regulatory Review Committee (IRRC) August 6, 2009 and will be sent to the Office of Attorney General. Following final review by the Office of Attorney General, a final version of the regulations will appear in the Pennsylvania Bulletin and implemented by the Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission.

Until the regulations are in place, there is no provision for an individual to comply with this law. Please continue to visit this website for updated information regarding implementation of the Retired Law Enforcement Identification Act.

For more information go to:
    Retired Law Enforcement Officers Identification and Qualification Cards

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Retired LEOSA update

Still trying to figure out why the sheriffs depts is involved in this. They can screw up a one car funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I resemble that...
    Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Still trying to figure out why the sheriffs depts is involved in this. They can screw up a one car funeral.
    § 221.32. Qualification card contents.

(a) A qualification card shall be issued to indicate compliance with the Commonwealth's standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm. The qualification cards must be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and on a form issued by the Commission.

(b) The qualification card must contain the following:

(1) The caption ''Retired Law Enforcement Officer Qualification Card.''

(2) The name, address, date of birth, race, sex, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes and signature of the retired law enforcement officer.

(3) The date of completion of the most recent firearms training and qualification by the retired law enforcement officer.

(4) An expiration date 12 months later than the date of completion of the most recent firearms training and qualification by the retired law enforcement officer.

(5) The name and signature of the certified law enforcement firearms instructor issuing the qualification card.

(6) The name and signature of a sheriff.

(7) A confirmation number provided by the sheriff who signed the qualification card.

(8) A statement that the retired law enforcement officer has a duty to surrender the qualification card when the officer becomes legally ineligible either under Federal or State law to receive, possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer a firearm.

(9) Other information designated by the Commission.

h) The following apply to sheriffs:

(1) Prior to signing the qualification card, in addition to other requirements contained in section 5 of the act (53 P. S. § 753.5), the sheriff shall require the retired law enforcement officer to display the identification card and another form of official/governmental identification, which includes a photo of the retired law enforcement officer. The sheriff shall make a photocopy of both forms of identification.

(2) The sheriff shall keep a record of the following:

(i) Each qualification card signed.

(ii) The name and address of the retired law enforcement officer appearing on the card.

(iii) The date the sheriff signed the card.

(3) The sheriff shall confiscate the qualification card from any retired law enforcement officer who is not issued a unique approval number. Confiscated qualification cards shall be returned to the Commission.

(4) The sheriff shall collect the expired qualification card from the retired law enforcement officer and return the card to the Commission.

(5) Within 30 days of signing a qualification card, the sheriff shall provide the Commission with a copy of the record maintained under paragraph (2)

Wonder what PA will do if the law gets changed this year. Will it be another 5 years till PA changes the wording from Retired to Separated?
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

(Luzerne County)

I knew why the sheriffs are involved, as I've been following LEOSA since it started.......I just think its a wasted step. Look at all the conflicts you get with people just trying to get LTCF's.

As for the rest........its mind numbing that its taking this long for MPOETC to come up with a "retired or seperated" status and ID card.

And I'm still wondering about their "database of firearm instructor". Just where are they planning on getting this information from?? I've been a LEO firearms instructor for most of my 10 years.......no one has approached me for my information.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I resemble that...
    I am sure you will have more than one car in your funeral procession. If you are that worried, me and my Wife will drive separate

Be safe (and have a parade!).

Scott