Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hirtenberger L7A1 (very hot round)

I had recently come across a 50 round box of Hirtenberger L7A1 9mm ammo. From what I've read, this ammo is hotter than +p+ and is actually made for sub-machine guns. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with running this stuff through a handgun.
    Last edited by JasonK007; February 8th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Hirtenberger L7A1 (very hot round)

It will work in glocks. There aren't many other handguns I would trust it in. Watch for very hard primers.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    It will work in glocks. There aren't many other handguns I would trust it in. Watch for very hard primers.
    I have a Glock 26 I was going to run it through.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Bucks County)

Just curious, why would you trust a hot round in a Glock more than other pistols? I know the chamber is not fully supported in a Glock, so I don't see how it could handle a higher chamber pressure than any other gun.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Just curious, why would you trust a hot round in a Glock more than other pistols? I know the chamber is not fully supported in a Glock, so I don't see how it could handle a higher chamber pressure than any other gun.
    Simple answer: you know wrong. Were talking about 9mm Glocks.

(Bucks County)

Simple answer: you know wrong. Were talking about 9mm Glocks.
    I know, I have a Glock 19, and I carry it everyday. When I remove the barrel and put a round in there, I can see part of the side wall of the shell that is exposed and not supported by the chamber. I'm sure it's fine that way and I'm not suggesting it's a bad design. I'm simply asking why you think a Glock can handle higher pressures than other pistols. Just for my own curiosity.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I know, I have a Glock 19, and I carry it everyday. When I remove the barrel and put a round in there, I can see part of the side wall of the shell that is exposed and not supported by the chamber. I'm sure it's fine that way and I'm not suggesting it's a bad design. I'm simply asking why you think a Glock can handle higher pressures than other pistols. Just for my own curiosity.
    There's actually as much or more chamber support in a 9mm glock than most any other handgun. Compare it to something else you own. Other than that, the guns are designed to shoot +P+ and hot nato spec ammunition all day.
    Last edited by victory; February 9th, 2011 at 01:47 AM.

(Bucks County)

There's actually as much or more chamber support in a 9mm glock than most any other handgun. Compare it to something else you own. Other than that, the guns are designed to shoot +P+ and hot nato spec ammunition all day.
    Thanks for the clarification, I don't own any other centerfire semi auto pistols so I have nothing to compare it to. I've seen pictures of fully supported barrels but I don't know if that's really necessary.

(Delaware County)

Exclamation Re: Hirtenberger L7A1 (very hot round)

I would have no motivation at all to shoot this ammo in any of my 9mm handguns. I have a couple of 9mm carbines I could try it in but no handguns. The rumor is that this ammo was for open bolt 9mm sub guns used in the Artic. A search on the internet will reveal stories of it damaging handguns.
    If it blows up, be sure to show us some pictures.
    (That was an attempted funny way to say save it for something besides a handgun.)
    Smitty56

"Department of the Treasury
    ATF Office of Public Information

For Immediate Release FY-97-6

HAZARDOUS AMMUNITION

Washington--The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has been advised by Hirtenberger AG, Hirtenberg, Austria, that certain 9Xl9 mm
    caliber ammunition produced by Hirtenberger is unsafe for use in any handgun.

The ammunition, designated L7A1 and produced ln the years 1990 through 1992, was produced for the British Ministry of Defense specifically for use in submachineguns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns.

The manufacturer advises that up to 12 million rounds of this ammunition has recently been sold on the world surplus market. The ammunition can be identified by the following head stamp located on the bottom of the cartridge case

12 O'clock position: HP
    3 O'clock position: 90, 91, or 92
    6 O'clock position: L7Al
    9 O'clock position: the marking of a cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired.

We are not aware of any of this ammunition being imported into the United States. ATF will take action to prevent the commercial importation of this
    ammunition.

For additional information, contact, Mary Jo Hughes, Chief, Firearms and
    Explosives Imports, (202) 927-8320. "