Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Question about shooting groundhogs

I have been told by three different people that if you are shooting groundhogs on your own land, or on a friends property with permission, that the PA Game Regs don't apply. I don't even know how to go about finding out if this is true. I can't imagine if it were true that the Game warden would tell you.

Mainly the question is with regard to using a semi-auto.

Can anyone set me straight on this?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Question about shooting groundhogs

Good question, I've wondered if I could pick off groundhog's on private property with my AR15. It would be a lot more economical than the 7mm mag!

(Erie County)

As a home owner, you are allowed to exterminate wildlife that causing property damage. It is actually against the law to trap and relocate Rodentia. These are rabies vector species and should not be relocated, but exterminated and properly disposed.

From the PA game commission ---Landowners have a right to protect their property from damages caused by wildlife. With the exception of deer, bear, elk, beaver, bobcat, fisher, wild turkey, migratory birds, threatened species and endangered species, landowners may take action when personal property – other than an agricultural crop – is being destroyed, or when a sick or diseased animal poses a threat to humans, farm animals or pets. Only the property owner or person in charge of the property may take steps to capture or kill wildlife.

The manner in which you exterminate is up to you, but probably should be in accordancne with your local, county, and state laws, specially in the discharge of a firearm in urban setting.

I am considering a flame thrower since Robinson TWP doesn't like me popping my guns in my backyard.

(York County)

Hate 'em, kill 'em often
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; September 10th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.

(Adams County)

Well my friend's dad has lots of groundhogs in his fields (he has an actual working farm). They dig all there tunnels and cause problem s with the tractors collapsing them and making ruts and uneven areas. They also damage his crops. He wanted me to come over and help him get rid of them. I thought is might be good use for my WASR-10.

So when it says only the property owner may take steps... Can "calling me to come over" be those steps? Or does that mean that he has to pull the trigger?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

I doubt it and I make that statement based on awhile back I talked to my farmer buddy about killing problem areas on his farm , he said I could LEGALLY HUNT those animals on his farm but not even his hired workers are allowed to kill them for damages , just the land owner

(Delaware County)

I'll give you my story. I used to hunt on a farm loaded with hogs and I was told by the property manager that you could do whatever you wanted on private property. Now this was when I was a much younger man. So I took his advice and started shooting hogs like crazy. One day I forgot my license and Orange hat and said I would hunt anyway because "you can do whatever you want on private land" boy was I wrong. I took a shot leaning on my friends truck. I hit a chuck from about 80 yds with my Marlin 880SQ .22lr and out of nowhere a truck comes flying on to the property. The WCO proceeds to fine me for:

Hunting from a vehicle
    No license
    No Blaze orange hat

He then prceeds to take my gun and my groundhog for evidence and tells me "no you can't do whatever you want on private property" Needless to say I learned my lesson and I read the game laws from front to back when I buy my license every year. BTW I did get my gun back after I paid my hefty fine which I believe was more than the gun's price!!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.