Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Question about ACT 235??

Ok so tell me if I have this part right. The PA Act 235 says that if my employer requires me to carry a gun for the job, then the PA Act 235 is required?

What if I am employed as an unarmed security guard and I wish to carry a gun for protection while im at work? The job doesn't require me to carry a firearm so i do not need act 235 but I choose to carry (either open or concealed since I have my LTCF) for my own protection at work.

What are your thoughts?

Sounds to me like its perfectly legal. Am I missing something?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Question about ACT 235??

First, welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, you are correct that your LTCF will permit you to carry your firearm while you are at work, unless you are an unarmed guard at a school, courthouse or other prohibited location.

The other side of the coin is "Are you allowed by company policy?" If your company (or the client) has a No weapons policy, you could be subject to termination. I'm not saying don't carry, but make abso-freaking-lutely sure you are the only one that knows. Getting fired for carrying a firearm will surely jam you up down the line.

I have risked it before and will again, but I am well aware of the risks I take.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for the welcome

Im not in security I was just using the security guard as an example.

But thanks for the response that helped clear it up

(Tioga County)

I would bet that if he is employed as an unarmed guard and carries and they find out he would be terminated. Security companies pay a lot more money for insurance for armed guards than unarmed guards. If you use the firearm you can be sure someone will sue the employer.
    USNRET '61-'81

I would check with your company policy first. (granted with your License i would anyway), but your employed as an unarmed SG so your company probably doesn't allow firearms. My personal opinion, a policy isn't worth my life...and with a CC License lets you CC
    Welcome ....i travel to Mcdonold quite frequently
    Last edited by Neo31rex31; January 15th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

(Pike County)

The rule goes as this as long as you are on the "security clock" you have to be act 235 certified. I do understand that you want to carry concealed but working security changes the situation some. I once asked a trooper about this very situation and he stated the above. Carrying a weapon while working security requires act 235 whether concealed or not.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by deputy View Post
    I once asked a trooper about this very situation and he stated the above.
    And we all know how well the average LEO seems to know the laws.

I'd ask a LAWYER about it, not a LEO.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    And we all know how well the average LEO seems to know the laws.

I'd ask a LAWYER about it, not a LEO.
    Comparing the average non-LEO citizens knowledge of law against an average police officers, I think I'll go with the police officers.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Lehigh County)

If you are working as an unarmed guard, then you should not be carrying a firearm while on duty, period.

As much as you want some protection on you while at work, if you would be doing security, this will cause you many problems if your company finds out that your carrying while at work and you will probably be terminated. Also, god forbid that something happens and you have to use the firearm, your opening yourself and your company up for some big time lawsuits, as well as the possiblity of losing your LTCF or worse.

I would suggest that you get certified to carry OC for starters and maybe work on getting your Act 235, then if you wanted, can work as an armed guard and not have to worry about carrying on duty and avoid getting yourself in trouble.

I know this stinks, but for something like this and the type of job that you have, it's better to follow the rules than risking termination, or worse.

Be safe....

AG
    Last edited by xx AG xx; January 17th, 2009 at 11:28 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    I would suggest that you get certified to carry OC for starters and maybe work on getting your Act 235, then if you wanted, can work as an armed guard and not have to worry about carrying on duty and avoid getting yourself in trouble.

Hi. I just want to be sure that I'm understanding you here. Are you saying that one must be certified to OC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying (and if so I apologize) but I'm not aware of any certification one must have in order to OC here in PA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast